Sign in to follow this  
Duffman

10 seconds early.....

If Holt wants to be our main target man next season in the championship then he needs to learn when to jump for the ball. He always seems to be in the air way before the ball arrives. At a higher level he will get found out if he doesn''t work on that side of his game.

[quote user="Duffman"]If Holt wants to be our main target man next season in the championship then he needs to learn when to jump for the ball. He always seems to be in the air way before the ball arrives. At a higher level he will get found out if he doesn''t work on that side of his game.[/quote]

You''ve said it (in a round about way) and I wonder how many others have thought it?

Will Holt be banging the goals in left, right and centre in The Championship next season?

How many will he get?  40? 35? 30? 25? 20? 15? 10?

He may struggle to reach 15 goals next season.

Both Martin and Holt are easily capable of 15-20 goals each in a championship season, which is a fair haul.  Whether or not they will get the service they need is the big unanswered question for me - The championship is a faster paced league, we won''t get nearly as much time to pick out passes, and at the moment we''re relying in central midfield upon a good, but young Korey Smith, and Darrel Russell, who wasn''t the best with his distribution when being closed down early in previous times in the championship.  Also teams will be fitter, and won''t roll over and die after 60 minutes in the manner that a lot of the lower league one teams seem to.  We have a summer to recruit players to help our current squad, but I reckon we''re pretty close to being a good championship team now.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

[quote user="Duffman"]If Holt wants to be our main target man next season in the championship then he needs to learn when to jump for the ball. He always seems to be in the air way before the ball arrives. At a higher level he will get found out if he doesn''t work on that side of his game.[/quote]

You''ve said it (in a round about way) and I wonder how many others have thought it?

Will Holt be banging the goals in left, right and centre in The Championship next season?

[/quote]If he gets 15 goals, it''s more than most strikers get in the championship.  This link shows a range of 19 goals for the top scorer, down to 12 goals for 15th best, after 42/3 games.  Earnshaw has only scored 14 this season.

Really you think the squad is good enough, mid table at the very best another struggle if don''t strengthen in a number of areas.

[quote user="pete"]Really you think the squad is good enough, mid table at the very best another struggle if don''t strengthen in a number of areas.[/quote]I think we have a decent enough first 11 or 15 to compete, not to promote, that is for certain.  This squad would hold its own.  However, you are right, we need more strength in depth than we have.  Where would you strengthen ?

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

[/quote]

If he gets 15 goals, it''s more than most strikers get in the championship.  This link shows a range of 19 goals for the top scorer, down to 12 goals for 15th best, after 42/3 games.  Earnshaw has only scored 14 this season.
[/quote]

True, but I am not saying I think he will get 15 goals next season, he will get a lot less than he has this season! Possibly not even 15

That certainly is the case for 50% of his heading challenges. The problem is that, when he does this, he is on the way down by the time the ball arrives, so he can''t win it. 

If you notice, he does it to try and catch out the defender, drawing them into a foul.Check the back of the programme, he''s won the most free kicks and also given away the most at the same time..

"If you notice, he does it to try and catch out the defender, drawing them into a foul."

I can see what you mean by this. Sadly, I think he spends a bit too much time worrying about what the defender is doing rather than trying to be positive and win the ball.

Much as I rate Holty he could be an even better player if he expended as much energy going for the ball as he does trying to look like he''s being fouled and then complaining to the ref when he doesn''t get given it.

Probably still my Player of the Season though, despite all that (and a top bloke by all accounts).