Sign in to follow this  
Gentleman Jim

Ground Sharing ?

This was the subject of an interesting radio program on saturday morning.

The two clubs concerned surprisingly were Liverpool and Everton

When I first heard this I dismissed it out of hand thinking it was totaly unlikely, bearing in mind their extreme rivalry and individual club loyalties.

However as the debate unfolded it emerged that it was not unlikely at all and, for financial reasons, was actually desirable as even clubs of this size could not afford the sole upkeep of a stadium.

The fans of each side were, as to be expected, very much against the idea.

It was also suggested that in the London area five teams could share one stadium !

My concern is that, if this is the trend of the future as money overuses all considerations, will clubs lose their individual identity ?

Would we be Norwich City without F C R  if sharing a stadium with Ipswich, "Carrport Road" perhaps?  

What is a football club in fact ?  Just us supporters I feel !    

[quote]This was the subject of an interesting radio program on saturday morning. The two clubs concerned surprisingly were Liverpool and Everton When I first heard this I dismissed it out of hand thinking ...[/quote]

Surely you meant Carrpoorow Road? Jim.

If ever the unthinkable happened, I think I''d give up and start watching bloody Ludo!.

Yankee Canary: You must have some input on this mate, after all you suggested this light years ago, yes? 

my dad has been sayin 4 a while we shud combine the binners team with our class and get a half decent team togeather i totally disagree he says we should build a stadium in the middle as well i think this is outrangeus n hopefully will never have to happen

on the ball city

18th n climbing!!

Not too keen on this, feel that the financial considerations are far outweighed by the emotional ones.

What about the club shop? Would the displays be changeable depending on who is playing that week?

It was first said by the incomparable Gordon Bennett, but it''s worth saying again. If Norwich and Ipswich ever shared a ground the only place roughly in between Norwich and Ipswich is Diss!

Therefore the team that played there would have to be called Disunited!!

Sums it up perfectly I think.

[quote]my dad has been sayin 4 a while we shud combine the binners team with our class and get a half decent team togeather i totally disagree he says we should build a stadium in the middle as well i think ...[/quote]

Although I wouldn''t go near a Binner team, I would be up for the proposal of a stadium inbetween Norwich and Ipswich as that would make it only 5 miles from the family home. Brewer''s Green Lane (I think that is Diss Town''s ground) has a huge field very close to it which could fit a biggish stadium...

[quote]Not too keen on this, feel that the financial considerations are far outweighed by the emotional ones. What about the club shop? Would the displays be changeable depending on who is playing that wee...[/quote]

Dunno.  How did the old Wimbledon and Palace sort that in the old days?

Not that anyone would consider it in East Anglia - as people are pointing out, luckily we are too distant.  I''ve said it before: we need to stay in the Prem and watch the Suffolkers drop a division or two and we would rapidly encroach on their potential fanbase around E Anglia and beyond.  Same way all clubs over the years become better supported than the rival alternative in their respective regions, even if the alternative is geographically closer - viz Cambs Canary etc., even despite current poor transport links!

Mr Rosario re. Diss United - quality!

[quote]Not too keen on this, feel that the financial considerations are far outweighed by the emotional ones. What about the club shop? Would the displays be changeable depending on who is playing that wee...[/quote]

Fear Not Super Shaun,

If the *unthinkable* were to ever occur, the binners would make sure that the "new grounds" waste management plan, allowed certain funds for their "club shop" to be set up, as a separate entity to our own! "waste management" is of top priority in their camp!! So when it comes to moving garbage (ie, their club shop items)... they''re experts!!

As for other financial matters, would we want to even consider a "merge" in any sense with them, when they cant even run their own club and have their own financials in order? If it ever happened, this would need to be taken into consideration when delegating profits... as I feel we would be pulling more than our fair share of weight in that relationship!

From the emotional side of things!! "When Hell freezes over"!! We should share a ground with them!!

[quote]Fear Not Super Shaun, If the *unthinkable* were to ever occur, the binners would make sure that the "new grounds" waste management plan, allowed certain funds for their "club shop" to be set up, as a...[/quote]

... anywhere down your way we could share a ground Norm ?   

Well we are now going to do cheap flights from Norwich Airport... hmmmmm !

[quote]This was the subject of an interesting radio program on saturday morning. The two clubs concerned surprisingly were Liverpool and Everton When I first heard this I dismissed it out of hand thinking ...[/quote]

"It was also suggested that in the London area five teams could share one stadium !"

Sorry, it wasn''t a politician who suggested this was it? It sounds like an idea only a politician could be stupid enough to think up. 5 teams sharing one stadium would be lunacy! Not to mention the huge damage the pitch would endure each week it would also signal the death of saturday football. How could 5 clubs play at the same place. It would mean stretching games out during the week and teams only getting to play on a saturday every 5 weeks at a time.

So, to sum up, lets move the football club from Norwich, approx 180,000 inhabitants, and uproot it to Diss, approx 20,000 inhabitants. Great idea.  

[quote]"It was also suggested that in the London area five teams could share one stadium !" Sorry, it wasn''t a politician who suggested this was it? It sounds like an idea only a politician could be stupid ...[/quote]

P O A, I don''t think it was a politician who made the suggestion.

The debate lasted most of the morning so I didn''t hear it all, main contributors were phone-in-fans and financial bods, so it was probably one of the latter.

As I suggested initially when it comes to money all other opposing and apparently logical considerations seem to be brushed aside. Take for example the arrival of Sky and the departure from all teams playing at three o''clock on a Saturday afternoon. Traditionalist, (me included), raised their hands in horror and said it wouldn''t take off, but now we have three kick off times on Saturday, three Sunday and one on Monday ! The ££££s win again. If THEY have their way three or more games would be played on one pitch in a couple of days. 

Don''t think I am promoting this to happen. No way ! 

I am totaly against ground sharing as I think the club''s identity and individuality is lost in doing so.

Jim:Cheap flights direct to Norwich airport, i didn''t know it had gone international?? Have they extended the runway a few miles?? It would be great though, cos I''m coming back over...(and i can hear you all saying "i hope not") But i will say this... as any proud foot soldier of the Y''Army, if our club was ever to merge with the binners, there would be only one respectable course of action... a move to Wolverhampton!!

While I agree that financial considerations have become far too important in football, if it''s a choice between ground sharing with an old enemy or struggling to survive the choice is a tricky one.

I think that the inital shock of ground sharing will die away, leaving both clubs better off in the long run. Lots of clubs do it successfully all over Europe (Bayern Munich & 1860 for example).

That''s enough common sense for now though. Sharing with the binners would be very similar to struggling to survive. You would have to consider euthanasia as an alternative option.

The best place though would be the villages of Rickanghall and Botesdale. They are a combined village on the border, one in Norfolk and the other in Suffolk.

It''ll never ever happen. We would be more likely to sell FCR for housing development and play at Gorleston. Now there''s an idea...............

[quote]It''ll never ever happen. We would be more likely to sell FCR for housing development and play at Gorleston. Now there''s an idea...............[/quote]

Gorleston Tumbleweed ? ? ?   

Now that I like !      ... and we are usually open on Saturdays.