Sign in to follow this  
Brendo

Grant Holt today

Yes, Holt might well have scored on a number of occasions.Yes it is very disappointing that he got yet another yellow card.But he is human and the fouls committed on him by the MK Don defenders which went apparently unseen by the referee for most of the match, including numerous times when a corner was about to be taken, almost beggers belief.Get off Holt''s back. He is our player of the season.

Suppose we have to think ourselves lucky we will see Holt again this season imo he should have been red carded for violent conduct, which would have meant an extra 4 games ( as already been sent off for this ). After saying that there should have been 1 or 2 more red cards issued to MK players, but surely for 1 game Holt could have acted sensibly and responsibly. The yellow card was unlucky in its own right, but ask yourself if you were the ref would you have issued at least a yellow to Holt for one of the instances through the game.

[quote user="Alex11ncfc"]Looked today like he wanted to get booked and make sure that he didn''t score, missed too many oppertunities.
[/quote]What?

This message board has some loonies (including me!) but this has to be the top one.[:S]

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="Alex11ncfc"]Looked today like he wanted to get booked and make sure that he didn''t score, missed too many oppertunities.
[/quote]What?

This message board has some loonies (including me!) but this has to be the top one.[:S]

[/quote]

First Wizard. I believe you are the looney. Holt clearly doesn''t want to score goals. As his record of 30 goals in 42 games would suggest....

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="Alex11ncfc"]Looked today like he wanted to get booked and make sure that he didn''t score, missed too many oppertunities.[/quote]What?

[/quote]Well I''m another one then Wiz because I agree with Alex. When you''re supposed to be avoiding a yellow card at all costs for team and club they don''t come much more deliberate than a deliberate handball. Not saying he wanted to get sent off - just that it looked like that.  Holt and the team missed Hoolahan yet again. Holt had  plenty of chances and whilst none were absolute sitters, it seemed to me that it was down to him being either just a shade slow each time or his headers lacking accuracy. Yes he was getting a lot of physical from the defender but surely his constant whinging to the ref must distract from his game? Frankly, I don''t think he''s been the same since the last suspension. His contribution this season has been immense but a great captain''s performance yesterday it wasn''t.

[quote user="Brendo "] Also missed one or two sitters and whinged to the ref all game, and got booked, and really could and should have been sent off. Good peformance? I think not. [:S]
[/quote]

Thats how I saw it too. He let us down yesterday, he knew he mustn''t get booked yet whinged throughout the whole game.

[quote user="Good Touch For A Big Man"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]What?

[/quote]

First Wizard. I believe you are the looney. Holt clearly doesn''t want to score goals. As his record of 30 goals in 42 games would suggest....

[/quote]Add yourself to the ever growing list pal.

I''m going to disagree with many of you here. It is clear that Holt does tread the tightrope a bit at times and perhaps needs to temper it a bit, but he is team captain so has an entitlement to question the referee. So long as he knows how far he can take it, there isn''t really a problem. And clearly he does know most of the time as despite several ''chats'' with the ref, his booking today was for handball.

Re: the fouling stats that are further up this thread, those are only one side of the story: he might be the player who has committed the most fouls, but he is also the most fouled player, too.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]And clearly he does know most of the time as despite several ''chats'' with the ref, his booking today was for handball. [/quote]True, but this is just as bad. When you know you need to not get booked, deliberate handball is just idiotic. And now my optimism going into my trip to the valley next week is a little smaller. [:(]

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]I''m going to disagree with many of you here. It is clear that Holt does tread the tightrope a bit at times and perhaps needs to temper it a bit, but he is team captain so has an entitlement to question the referee. So long as he knows how far he can take it, there isn''t really a problem. And clearly he does know most of the time as despite several ''chats'' with the ref, his booking today was for handball. Re: the fouling stats that are further up this thread, those are only one side of the story: he might be the player who has committed the most fouls, but he is also the most fouled player, too.[/quote]

True but he knew yesterday that if he got booked that we''d be without him (and Wes) for two games and should have therefore just got on with the game and avoided any argueing.

[quote user="Lambert is King"]Suppose we have to think ourselves lucky we will see Holt again this season imo he should have been red carded for violent conduct, which would have meant an extra 4 games ( as already been sent off for this ). After saying that there should have been 1 or 2 more red cards issued to MK players, but surely for 1 game Holt could have acted sensibly and responsibly. The yellow card was unlucky in its own right, but ask yourself if you were the ref would you have issued at least a yellow to Holt for one of the instances through the game.[/quote]

Well i remember a certain D.Dublin twice stating that NCFC`s main problem was that it was "too nice".   In Mk franchise we had a team built in the image of their manager who came to kick, hassle, dive and time-waste their way to a result.  And our captain stood up to them and gave back as good as he got......Well done Holty [Y]

[quote user="Brendo "]I know he didn''t get much today, and he was obviously and justly getting very frustrated by the officials, but I thought he acted a little stupidly today.
Now I am NOT dissing his ability, as we all know he''s an awesome talent, but shouting and having a go at our own players a few times, well just seemed a little OTT for me. Could and probably should have scored, and will be sorely missed. His yellow was also unnecessary in my opinion. Just needed to keep his mouth shut and keep calm today. [:(]

And please, have a big go at me again, because I am just saying what I honestly think.

Anyway, let''s concentrate on Orient and should still get 3 points without him + Hooley.

OTBC. [Y]

[/quote]I wouldnt have Holt any other way....its all part off the package

[quote user="city-till-i-die"][quote user="Brendo "]I know he didn''t get much today, and he was obviously and justly getting very frustrated by the officials, but I thought he acted a little stupidly today. Now I am NOT dissing his ability, as we all know he''s an awesome talent, but shouting and having a go at our own players a few times, well just seemed a little OTT for me. Could and probably should have scored, and will be sorely missed. His yellow was also unnecessary in my opinion. Just needed to keep his mouth shut and keep calm today. [:(]And please, have a big go at me again, because I am just saying what I honestly think. Anyway, let''s concentrate on Orient and should still get 3 points without him + Hooley. OTBC. [Y][/quote]I wouldnt have Holt any other way....its all part off the package[/quote]I would. Not with his playing style, just if he never opened his mouth unless it were to a fellow team mate / manager. Just listen to what the ref says and button it.

[quote user="Brendo "][quote user="city-till-i-die"][quote user="Brendo "]I know he didn''t get much today, and he was obviously and justly getting very frustrated by the officials, but I thought he acted a little stupidly today.
Now I am NOT dissing his ability, as we all know he''s an awesome talent, but shouting and having a go at our own players a few times, well just seemed a little OTT for me. Could and probably should have scored, and will be sorely missed. His yellow was also unnecessary in my opinion. Just needed to keep his mouth shut and keep calm today. [:(]

And please, have a big go at me again, because I am just saying what I honestly think.

Anyway, let''s concentrate on Orient and should still get 3 points without him + Hooley.

OTBC. [Y]

[/quote]I wouldnt have Holt any other way....its all part off the package[/quote]

I would. Not with his playing style, just if he never opened his mouth unless it were to a fellow team mate / manager. Just listen to what the ref says and button it.
[/quote]Have you ever played Football??? doesnt sound like it

[quote user="city-till-i-die"][quote user="Brendo "][quote user="city-till-i-die"][quote user="Brendo "]I know he didn''t get much today, and he was obviously and justly getting very frustrated by the officials, but I thought he acted a little stupidly today. Now I am NOT dissing his ability, as we all know he''s an awesome talent, but shouting and having a go at our own players a few times, well just seemed a little OTT for me. Could and probably should have scored, and will be sorely missed. His yellow was also unnecessary in my opinion. Just needed to keep his mouth shut and keep calm today. [:(]And please, have a big go at me again, because I am just saying what I honestly think. Anyway, let''s concentrate on Orient and should still get 3 points without him + Hooley. OTBC. [Y][/quote]I wouldnt have Holt any other way....its all part off the package[/quote]I would. Not with his playing style, just if he never opened his mouth unless it were to a fellow team mate / manager. Just listen to what the ref says and button it. [/quote]Have you ever played Football??? doesnt sound like it[/quote]I know easier said than done. But when you see players like Drury do it, well it''s possible.

[quote user="chub"]agree agree agree!![/quote]

With what? [:)]