Sign in to follow this  
Gentleman Jim

"Dean Ashton.....

......scores for Crewe in the opening minutes , to the delight of the dozen or so Premier Managers watching him here tonight..."

five live @ 20:47

Wonder if Worthy one of the dozen ?   Hmmmmmm

Well, maybe we have to be a little more creative in our approach then DD. For example, Crewe have the worst GA record in their division. They obviously need shoring up in the middle of the park. Possibly we would need to make them an offer they would find difficult to refuse, some cash and a player or two that they would look upon as very attractive. In this regard, it may not be good enough to just offer players we don''t want ( or never play ). Our offer would have to be seen as a stretch. Players like Gary Holt or even Craig Fleming, who could still make a very valuable defensive contribution in the lower division but have time limitations within the Premiership. What are your thoughts? What would you find appealing if you were managing  Crewe, sitting on a hot property but needing to show your owners that you have an offer on the table that''s hard to refuse? Of course this would mean Norwich takes a risk but possibly it''s time to be creative with our assets, put Shackell into the lions den of the Premiership while acquiring another high potential striker, and shift our remaining focus of acquisition to a strong midfield player with excellent distribution skills.  

YankeeCanary: an interesting proposition. Your idea has gotten me thinking, how about something like this:

We get: Dean Ashton

Crewe get: £1m, Ryan Jarvis (on loan for the rest of the season) and Jim Brennan (permanent transfer)

That way, we''d get Ashton in on a permanent (hopefully longterm) contract, Jarvo gets some first team action under his belt, whilst Crewe get some money, a short term answer to the loss of Ashton and a versatile left-sided midfielder/defender.

Whilst a tad complicated at first, it has benefits to both City and Crewe and maybe the deal you mentioned that Crewe just couldn''t say ''No'' to. We would still have ''X'' amount left to spend on a creative midfielder (unless Helveg comes good in the next month) or a strong/tall defender.

Why would Dean Ashton want to come to City, simply because he would be an automatic first choice if he goes to almost any other club he will not be a first choice.

If he does well and we stay up, any contract would be improved, if he does well and we go down, his profile would be raised and could leave to join another Prem club at the end of the season on better tertms than if he was warming the bench.  He would be foolish not to include a get out clause in any contract if we were to be relegated.

That is why I think he is more likely to join City than perhaps the others. 

[quote]...... scores for Crewe in the opening minutes , to the delight of the dozen or so Premier Managers watching him here tonight ..." five live @ 20:47 Wonder if Worthy one of the dozen ? Hmmmmmm[/quote]

...must''ve doubled their usual crowd then...

[quote]YankeeCanary: an interesting proposition. Your idea has gotten me thinking, how about something like this: We get: Dean Ashton Crewe get: £1m, Ryan Jarvis (on loan for the rest of the season) and Ji...[/quote]

Good thinking Anderz, quite a logical and viable proposition I feel, wonder if the deal is done already ?

P.S. I also wonder if Rivers has/will put in a good word for City   

Lets not get our hopes up. I think we should of signed him in the summer and now its to late as other clubs will take a risk and buy him. Off the top of my head I can name 7 clubs who desperatly need another striker (Aston Villa, Birmingham, Liverpool, Fulham, Palace, Bolton, Man City)

Andy Johnson and Cahill have proved that good 1st Div players can cut it in the Premiership.

[quote]Well, maybe we have to be a little more creative in our approach then DD. For example, Crewe have the worst GA record in their division. They obviously need shoring up in the middle of the park. Possi...[/quote]

It''s a fair idea YC.  Perhaps a defender with the deal would be more attractive to them than a striker.  However, who at Norwich would want to go to Crewe?  I''m sure Flem, the Doc, Shacks etc could do much better than Crewe.  It''s a poser

[quote]Good thinking Anderz, quite a logical and viable proposition I feel, wonder if the deal is done already ? P.S. I also wonder if Rivers has/will put in a good word for City[/quote]

Jim: I''m sure Rivers has put a word in for us, but in my opinion, not a very good one I fear!.

If there were a dozen premiership managers there, then I can guarantee you that City''s offer would be bottom of the pile!.

This is a complete non starter, not a chance in hell, zero hope, etc. etc.

Forget it and move on, sorry.

Helguson also scored twice - against a Premier side. Without watching week in week out its a tough call but I think the hype about Ashton might have pushed him outside our price range but Helguson might be affordable.

any div 1 striker would be a gamble - including Harewood - as we know its not quite as easy to score in the Premier league!

we might be better poaching players from our relegation rivals ! anyone for Koumas, Horsfield, Phillips, Dickov...

also what makes the Ashton fan club think he''d be a better buy from Crewe than say Hulse or Rivers were?

[quote]Jim: I''m sure Rivers has put a word in for us, but in my opinion, not a very good one I fear!. If there were a dozen premiership managers there, then I can guarantee you that City''s offer would be bo...[/quote]

Well Wiz if Rivers won''t help us at Crewe I''m sure Malky won''t help us with Harewood  at West Ham.