Sign in to follow this  
Lurd

Chris Martin

I cant believe there has been so little said about his contibution yesterday.To score a last minute free kick and get us back in the game after having an extremely frustrating afternoon took some serious skill, not to mention bottle - something we''ve seriously lacked in the past few years.The lad has scored some absolutely crucial goals for us this season, yet you''re more likely to hear about what he hasn''t done in a game than what he does do. When is he going to get the credit he deserves?

I rate him, I really do. I agree that he has made an amazing contribution this year. I think his problem is simply that he didn''t take seriously what it is to become a footballer. By all accounts, he has some serious attitude problems, and people know it. I think if he carries on as he is, he''ll get people onside eventually. Some people just need more convincing than one good season.

[quote user="Buzz Killington"]I rate him, I really do. I agree that he has made an amazing contribution this year. I think his problem is simply that he didn''t take seriously what it is to become a footballer. By all accounts, he has some serious attitude problems, and people know it. I think if he carries on as he is, he''ll get people onside eventually. Some people just need more convincing than one good season.[/quote]

Your spot on he didn''t take it serious enough but now he has learnt his lesson and is really focused on football. There are parts of his game that are frustrating but a natural finisher. Someone who we need.

I get the feeling that Chris Martin is going to go all the way to the top (hopefully with us) if not then I''m sure the Premier League will come calling sooner rather than later.The lad has been awesome this season, plus as our leader says"one of the most natural finishers I''ve ever seen", the guy has come on in massive leaps and bounds, so from me its a big thank you....if not just for signing a new contract.

Chris Martin is still only 20 and has still got a long way to go and in my opinion he is going to be a great talent.  He is a natural finisher and the best finisher at the club.  In my opinion he will score more than Holt next year.  We have a good player on our hands so lets get behing him and keep singing his name.  Just because he hasn''t scored as many goals as Holt he gets unfair criticisime, in my opinion next year he will be better than Holt.

Super Chrissy Martin

It''s hardly rocket science as to why he went off the rails a bit though. Peter Grant who gave him his deal got sacked. Roeder came in and clearly didn''t rate him or even give him a chance imo and created a horrible atmosphere for any youngster around the club. Him and Spillane were frozen out, then sent to Luton, his mate Joe Lewis was sold to Posh without ever being given a chance and loads of unproven Premiership reserves were brought in and treated like gods.Imagine if that happened at your place of work?

Chris Martin has got real quality, no doubt about it. Yesterday, the way he started the game with a couple of superb balls clipped round the corner I thought he was going to have a stormer but it didn''t quite happen. However, you feel when he gets those opportunities around the edge of the box he''s got a good chance of finding the bakc of the net, as he did yesterday.

In general it seems to be the case that some people can''t wait to sing his praises for the slighest thing whereas others will take any chance they can to criticise him.

Like any other player he''s just got to keep proving himself. He''s had a good season in League 2, he''s had a good season in League 1, now he''ll have to prove he can do the business through a season in the Championship.

[quote user="Larry David"]I cant believe there has been so little said about his contibution yesterday.

To score a last minute free kick and get us back in the game after having an extremely frustrating afternoon took some serious skill, not to mention bottle - something we''ve seriously lacked in the past few years.

The lad has scored some absolutely crucial goals for us this season, yet you''re more likely to hear about what he hasn''t done in a game than what he does do. When is he going to get the credit he deserves?
[/quote]

The reason, sadly, is that a large number of people, including the two numpties sitting behind me, have already decided (due to their extensive experience and knowledge ) that he is lazy, doesn''t "put himself about enough" and has "bad body language". Consequently, as you say they are just looking for the bad things so that they can snipe a bit more, and maybe trot out some more analysts'' cliches that they''ve heard on TV, even if they haven''t got a fucking clue what they mean.

It was interesting to watch Chris when the announcer gave the goal details. He gave a big exaggerated nod as if to say "Yes, I scored, so screw you". I, for one, thought "good on you son!"

Martin has got a lazy style, does not put himself about like some, but is the best finisher in the club by a mile. He was a getting to be a bit of a c**k after he first made his name and some remember him for it and don''t forgive. Another yard of pace and he would be gone for £5 million - as it is he will just have to keep learnng is trade with us. He will need to step up again next year but he has it in him to be one of the best strikers we have had - but equally it could go the other way. However Lambert knows how to get the best out of him and with the fitness regime they face this summer, I hope to see him come back sharper than he is now. Don''t knock him - Holt as got the numbers but he is further from the finished article than Martin and is 9 years older.

"By all accounts, he has some serious attitude problems, and people know it."

This is what sets aside the people that have some understanding of football, and frankly those that don''t. Some people on here have recently said that Martin needed a rest which is a fair point. I don''t necessarily agree but he has come on as sub won matches. But to say that "by all accounts" he is not up to the job is simply rubbish. Under no circumstances could someone play professionally and score 20 plus goals if he has "an attitude problem".

Let me tell you. Grant Holt is a senior player and captain of the club. He is asked each week who he would most like to play beside. . Guess who he nominates? That''s enough for me.

And the runs he made yesterday (one where Holt shoots across the keeper who saves well..did anyone notice the space GH had and who made it for him?) where very good.

Chris Martin deserves all the plaudits he gets. And Grant Holt is his biggest fan.

Biggest compliment I can give him is that with the possible exception of Hoolahan I dont think anyone else has the quality to hit a free kick like that one yesterday. I also think he offers intelligent link up play which often seems to go unnoticed. This will come to the fore again whilst Holt is suspended. His player of the month award I believe coninceded with Holt''s suspension. He will take the responsibility again I am sure and deliver that standard of performances.

I don''t like to abuse people on forums but those who are giving Martin stick are complete idiots. The lad is still young has banged in over 20 goals. He isnt just a flat track bully either who chips when we are thrashing people, he gets goals that win matches and gain points. The list is long Colchester, Leeds, MK Dons, Swindon, Brentford, Walsall spring to mind (I am sure there are many more). I hope that one day that element doesnt influence him to leave the club when (not if) a bigger offer inevitably comes in.

It''s great to see Martin scoring so many goals and who cares if he looks ''lazy'', he plays in a position where we can afford him to not chase the ball around like a headless chicken all he has to do is keep knocking them in. We actually have a local boy who could be a success and play for the club for years to come, people really do need to lay off him.Also, I think he takes a better freekick than Wesley.[:)]

This is the best post I''ve read on this board to date. (Moderator can you create a special private board and only invite participants of this thead to this point?)I''d go further and say CM is the best finisher in the league. I rarely see him miss the target and on the few occassions I have it''s because he''s squeezed it just a bit too far wide. Unlike the hoof''s that most the other strikers in this league seem to do.A few home games ago I think it may have been the Leeds game the strikers were warming up taking shots from crosses infront of the N&P. Martin was BY FAR the most comfortable on finishing and consistently hit the back of the net in unsavable positions.He''s not lazy.. those that think he is watch how many times he chases down the keeper passbacks in the game... it''s his style if he''s lazy than Van Nistelroy is more lazy than Jabba the hut.

"by all accounts" he is not up to the job is simply rubbish. Under no circumstances could someone play professionally and score 20 plus goals if he has "an attitude problem".

Puttig words into my mouth a bit there gpb. I never said he''s not upto it. I said, "by all accounts he has an attitude problem". I was of course refering more to his off-field antics. Well known around my area for larging it on the p*ss, declaring that he earns more than anyone else in the pub, so he can do what he likes (he''s now banned from most pubs in south Norfolk!). I also said that I rate him. He''s not the first, and won''t he the last young footballer to go through that phase (not taking it as seriously as he should at first). Personally, I''m really happy that he''s knuckled down and is clearly reaping the rewards of hard work. And so are we! If he carries on as is, he''ll have no problem carrying us into and out of the championship. I for one, am extremely greatfully that he has chosen to stay around. I doubt I would have after the way Roeder treated him.

[quote user="Larry David"]It''s hardly rocket science as to why he went off the rails a bit though. Peter Grant who gave him his deal got sacked. Roeder came in and clearly didn''t rate him or even give him a chance imo and created a horrible atmosphere for any youngster around the club. Him and Spillane were frozen out, then sent to Luton, his mate Joe Lewis was sold to Posh without ever being given a chance and loads of unproven Premiership reserves were brought in and treated like gods.

Imagine if that happened at your place of work?
[/quote]cant say to much...but he and a family member were very naughty and Luton was his punishment!!! very lucky not to goto jail

[quote user="city-till-i-die"][quote user="Larry David"]It''s hardly rocket science as to why he went off the rails a bit though. Peter Grant who gave him his deal got sacked. Roeder came in and clearly didn''t rate him or even give him a chance imo and created a horrible atmosphere for any youngster around the club. Him and Spillane were frozen out, then sent to Luton, his mate Joe Lewis was sold to Posh without ever being given a chance and loads of unproven Premiership reserves were brought in and treated like gods.

[/quote]cant say to much...but he and a family member were very naughty and Luton was his punishment!!! very lucky not to goto jail[/quote]But that aside the boy has come on leaps and bounds and i for one am glad to see him in a City shirt...i do beleive if he can leave the fizzy pop alone the lad will go all the way(with us hopefully)

True enough I think it was fairly well documented that he and his brother were a bit naughty but he was very young. IMO his attitude has improved a lot, he has seriously bulked up in the gym which is paying off on the pitch. I''m sure someone said he''s been working with a sprint trainer to try and improve that side of his game so what else can we do but get behind him, and be thankful we have such a talent.

[quote user="Larry David"]It''s hardly rocket science as to why he went off the rails a bit though. Peter Grant who gave him his deal got sacked. Roeder came in and clearly didn''t rate him or even give him a chance imo and created a horrible atmosphere for any youngster around the club. Him and Spillane were frozen out, then sent to Luton, his mate Joe Lewis was sold to Posh without ever being given a chance and loads of unproven Premiership reserves were brought in and treated like gods.

[/quote]

He went off the rails before Grant got the sack, not after. I remember that he got his new contract after have a good debut season, and then came back overweight after the close-season, for which he was heavily criticised and thus dropped by Grant.  Roeder didn''t rate him presumably because of his attitude/fitness levels, and I''m sure that if he had applied himself at that time he would not have been despatched to Luton. He only has himself to blame for that dodgy period IMO, but thankfully has got himself back on the rails this season.  

[quote user="Askounin"]Anyone seen his display pic on Faebook at the moment? [:|][IMG]http://i41.tinypic.com/2hgafjq.jpg[/IMG][/quote]And?He''s a young lad who likes a drink (though he isn''t actually drinking any of that bottle if you look closely)Football players don''t actually have to be God fearing virgins you know.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Askounin"]Anyone seen his display pic on Faebook at the moment? [:|][IMG]http://i41.tinypic.com/2hgafjq.jpg[/IMG][/quote]And?He''s a young lad who likes a drink (though he isn''t actually drinking any of that bottle if you look closely)Football players don''t actually have to be God fearing virgins you know.

[/quote]Mate, im only joking and having a laugh, im not one of these freaks

[quote user="Askounin"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Askounin"]Anyone seen his display pic on Faebook at the moment? [:|][IMG]http://i41.tinypic.com/2hgafjq.jpg[/IMG][/quote]And?He''s a young lad who likes a drink (though he isn''t actually drinking any of that bottle if you look closely)Football players don''t actually have to be God fearing virgins you know.

[/quote]Mate, im only joking and having a laugh, im not one of these freaks[/quote]Ah, good.[:)]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Askounin"]Anyone seen his display pic on Faebook at the moment? [:|]

[IMG]http://i41.tinypic.com/2hgafjq.jpg[/IMG]

[/quote]

And?

He''s a young lad who likes a drink (though he isn''t actually drinking any of that bottle if you look closely)

Football players don''t actually have to be God fearing virgins you know.

[/quote]

Agreed, but most of the very top players are extremely disciplined and professional, and that is surely no coincidence.   

Lol, you having a laugh? They are perhaps more discreet is all.Seriously, get off the lad''s back, he has done well this season, and in any other he may have well got "player of the season" for his goal tally.I''m sure PL would be the first to tear him a new one if he thought he was being unprofessional.

Yes he scores crutial goals but hes is without a doubt the laziest player we''ve had for years.His off the ball movement compared to Holts its not good enough for next season IMODont get me wrong, im sure he has a big future...... but there are a few things that he needs to work at, although finishing isnt one of them !!

[quote user="urdie_Canary"]Yes he scores crutial goals but hes is without a doubt the laziest player we''ve had for years.

[/quote]

Peter Thorne

Julien Brellier

Mark Rivers

John Hartson

Dickson Etuhu

Jamie Cureton

Ryan Jarvis

All much lazier players than CM.

[quote user="urdie_Canary"]Yes he scores crutial goals but hes is without a doubt the laziest player we''ve had for years.

[/quote]

Peter Thorne

Julien Brellier

Mark Rivers

John Hartson

Dickson Etuhu

Jamie Cureton

Ryan Jarvis

[/quote]

Peter Thorne

Julien Brellier

Mark Rivers

John Hartson

Dickson Etuhu

Jamie Cureton

Ryan Jarvis