Sign in to follow this  
Simon Lappin, King Of Spain

Strike Partnership Vs Orient

With Holt certainly out and Hoolahan a major doubt who will we play with Super Chris on saturday???

Think I''d like to see Oli starting with Cody on the bench. Would also like to see McNamee play on the left and Hughes on the right with Lappin dropped to the subs.

Or is there a case for playing McNamee in the hole where Wes normally would?

[quote user="matt crowhurst"]or keep the diamond with the normal 3 midfielders, chrissy in the hole with oli and elliot up front? [/quote]Could work. [Y]

[quote user="matt crowhurst"]or keep the diamond with the normal 3 midfielders, chrissy in the hole with oli and elliot up front? [/quote]

Good idea

[quote user="matt crowhurst"]or keep the diamond with the normal 3 midfielders, chrissy in the hole with oli and elliot up front? [/quote]I like it, or if Lambo wants to go really rogue he could give one of the young lads a try, Stephens?

[quote user="Kent Canary"][quote user="matt crowhurst"]or keep the diamond with the normal 3 midfielders, chrissy in the hole with oli and elliot up front? [/quote]I like it, or if Lambo wants to go really rogue he could give one of the young lads a try, Stephens?[/quote]Yeah, or Daley? [:$]

I would expect Lambo to go with experience and Elliott to replace Holt. Assuming Wes is still out I expect no other changes other than maybe Hughes for McNamee if he wants to give it a bit of security. Its all about not getting beat in the next two games - Orient are fighting for their lives and Charlton will be tough simply based on history.

I think Daley is too similar to Elliot or McDonald and I think he still might make a better winger thana  front man.To replace Holt we would, in my humble opinion, be better going for a big lad to put himself about.

how can anyone say hughes in for Lappin when Mcnamee was well off pace today and certainly not good enough, as for playing in the hole in diamond formation, didn''t you see start of 2nd half today, he was useless in that role.

I''d like to see Martin and Elliott, and I''d also like us to sign a player called Elliott Martin and a player called Martin Russell.

[quote user="Mister Chops"] I''d also like us to sign a player called Elliott Martin and a player called Martin Russell.[/quote]Nice!

[quote user="Mister Chops"]I''d like to see Martin and Elliott, and I''d also like us to sign a player called Elliott Martin and a player called Martin Russell.[/quote]We used to have one?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Russell_%28footballer%29

[quote user="matt crowhurst"]or keep the diamond with the normal 3 midfielders, chrissy in the hole with oli and elliot up front?
[/quote]

Intersting idea, however we would then lose Martin''s finishing ability as he would be playing in an unfamiliar deeper role. I think if you want to play all three strikers you''d have to stick all three up front, Oli and Elliot out wide and Chris in the centre (being the best finisher). May have to resort to knocking balls over the top for Oli Chris and Elliot to chase if you were to play that system though as i don''t think any of them are creative enough to have it played to feet without Holt making runs and using his strength to pull defenders out of position.

[quote user="adycanary"]how can anyone say hughes in for Lappin when Mcnamee was well off pace today and certainly not good enough, as for playing in the hole in diamond formation, didn''t you see start of 2nd half today, he was useless in that role.[/quote]

I did not, was glued to the pinkun text, guess it''ll be 4-4-2 then!

How about this one from the back of the hand. Play Martin, Oli and Russell up front and a three man midfield of Smith, Lappin,Hughes and a back four of Drury, Spillane, Doc, Nelson.

Basically we need to go for three points not settle for one. Russell has genuine ability to get past a man and put in a decent cross.

We can gamble against the O''s

[quote user="Kent Canary"][quote user="matt crowhurst"]or keep the diamond with the normal 3 midfielders, chrissy in the hole with oli and elliot up front? [/quote]I like it, or if Lambo wants to go really rogue he could give one of the young lads a try, Stephens?[/quote]Wouldnt go with a center half upfront myself[;)]

.....................................Forster....................................Martin............Doherty............Nelson..............DrurySmith...........................Russell........................Lappin....................................Johnson..........................................................Martin...............Elliott.........................

[quote user="Harry"].....................................Forster....................................

Martin............Doherty............Nelson..............Drury

Smith...........................Russell........................Lappin

....................................Johnson...................................

.......................Martin...............Elliott.........................

[/quote]

Seems prety obvious now you''ve said it, would like to see us try this from the start at Orient, come out of the blocks quickly, try and get a couple of early goals then stick 5 in midfield and hold on for grim death. Orient are a team on the rocks at the moment but it''s always dificult to predict how they will play under a new manager, particularly as Slade has previous for coming in and galvanising the performances of ailing teams at the end of a season, therefore hit them hard early, knock them out of the contest before half time and make sure we maintain our eight point lead, all but guaranteeing promotion on saturday at the valley. We did something similar with Daley, Martin and Holt away at McDons and would have got a lot more from that game if we hadn''t been hacked out of it, only change I might make would be to play Hughes on the right, think his passing is superior to Korey''s at the moment.

[quote user="Harry"].....................................Forster....................................

Martin............Doherty............Nelson..............Drury

Smith...........................Russell........................Lappin

....................................Johnson...................................

.......................Martin...............Elliott.........................

[/quote]

This was my thinking too - Oli in for McNamee, Elliot in for Holt, go back to the diamond.

I''m sure Oli came on as a sub just after he joined and played behind the strikers? It''s certainly more his role than Martin''s, who needs to stay up top.

Docs big nose makes a good point although I do not think Lambert will go with Doc up front.

The problem we have had without Holt is two fold - not holding the ball up upfront - no one tracking back like Holt does giving us extra protection. By putting Johnson or Elliot in ( I expect that to happen ) we will lose quite a bit defensively especially from corners and freekicks. I cant see whoever plays us getting a hatfull of goals, so keeping it much tighter would be a good option for me.

If Hoolihan was fit ( unlikely ) the diamond would be much better with a big man upfront. What it also gives us is a team with lots of experience and be able to handle easier the pressure of these big games.

Lambert would however need to be sure about Whitbread slotting in at the back, not sure wether he does.

I would change as little as possible. Moving our best centreback would compromise two positions.

If we play the diamond without Hoolahan then I reckon Martin is the only option at the top. Then we would have to play Elliott and Johnson up front. Don''t think this would work. So it''s 442 for me.#

Got to be Elliot and chrissy up front,for experience and the fact martin is learning to be more of a physical presence,probably learning from holt,on top of his normal game..Then as someone else said,bring on oli to give them the run around in the 71st minute :) 3 draws away would leave us with needing 1 win out of 2 homes matches...I can live with that :)

If we do go 4-4-2 then we''ve got to put McNamee out wide on the left, i understand he wasn''t exactly great vs McDons but can''t see us coming away with much if we don''t play him in his favoured position. Lappin has done nothing to deserve being dropped but i think he might have to take one for the team in this instance.

The other option might be to go 433 with a front three of  -MacNamee-Martin-Elliot- then keeping the same back four and midfield pushing Macca up as a very high wing/attacking midfielfer/support striker.