Sign in to follow this  
Canary Poirot

Time to earn your money at Charlton Lambert

If Lambert turns up at the Valley thinking he can play the diamond formation without Hoolahan and Holt then he has lost his senses. The employment of the diamond at Orient last night was an absolute disaster without our two star men, as no one could win a header up front, and nobody in midfield could put their foot on the ball.

It''s time, in my opinion, for Lambert to take a leaf out of Jose Mourinhio''s book. He took Inter Milan to Chelsea last month with a game plan, a one of game plan, that worked. We need to do something similar. Instead of trying to take the game to the opposition as has been our approach most of this season, without Holt and Hoolahan we should instead go and defend, and play on the counter attack using the pace of Elliot and Martin. It is absolutley necessary that we do not concede in the first 20 minutes as we have continuously done lately. To counter this, instruct Darel Russell to not cross the half way line for the first 20 minutes, and sit very deep just in front of the back four. Bring Hughes into midfield (one player who can put his foot on the ball and slow things down) with the instruction to take short balls from our long ball merchants Nelson and Doherty. In fact, play three holding midfielders in front of the defence, similar to how Exeter played at Swindon on Monday night. My team V Charlton:

Forster

Spillane  Nelson Doherty  Drury

Hughes  Russell Lappin

Smith                                Martin

Elliot

The only reason I''ve put Elliot in there is because of his pace. But yes, he was certainly diabolical against Orient last night. He can''t be worse. Maybe drop him and bring McNamee wide left with Chris Martin up top.

What is this famous pace Elliott supposedly has? Unless he''s moving so fast my eyes can''t process the information, I haven''t seen any sign of it. Where was it last night when we needed it?

[quote user="Canary Poirot"]The only reason I''ve put Elliot in there is because of his pace. But yes, he was certainly diabolical against Orient last night. He can''t be worse. Maybe drop him and bring McNamee wide left with Chris Martin up top.[/quote]Cody is pretty quick, and I would reckon he is a better all round player anyway?

there is no point having him up there he gets hoofed the ball and ooo he is to SHORT to get it ahhhhhh i am so angry terrible disgraceful performance it was embarrassing

[quote user="Canary Poirot"]...play on the counter attack using the pace of Elliot and Martin. ...???[/quote]Martin has many admirable qualities, but pace is not one of them!

Can anyone fathom why it took so long to make any changes last night? We were second best from the word go and got suckered into playing the long ball the whole time. I pity anyone say right at the front, they must have really sore necks from watching that display. Our goal was the result of some nice passing for a change and then we went back to hoofing it. It will be a repeat of the Valley last year unless something''s done.

Good post. With good points. I too would like to see Lambo go to Charlton with his game face on with a strong plan..Although the topic title is a bit daft... the guy loses 2 games and draws 1 (2 of which were not positive results because of poor refereeing) and he suddenly has to ''earn his money''?...

If Spillane is fit, I''d put him at right back in place of Martin, who I thought was awful last night.

Nelson also worries me and a fit Askou would go straight into my team also.

I would only play the diamond if Hoolahan was fit, playing Olly at the tip, as per last night, isn''t the answer.

I''d opt for 4-4-2 with Olly and Martin up front, Mcnamee, Smith, Russel and Lappin in the middle.

[quote user="AndyCanary"]bit daft... the guy loses 2 games and draws 1 (2 of which were not positive results because of poor refereeing) and he suddenly has to ''earn his money''?...[/quote]

good point I am just waiting for someone to post a "lambert out thread"