Sign in to follow this  
Syteanric

should we take a massive gamble and change the back 4 for saturday?

they havent played badly in the last few games but they also havent played well.

this is a crunch time for the club this season and to make sure we dont blow it it might be worth taking them out of the firing line. Russell Martin has looked shakey in recent weeks, and i think Doc might be getting a little complacent. Drury has done ok so maybe deserves to keep his place in the team, Nelson is perhaps also resting on his laurels slightly

we failed to deal with 2 set peices last night, and again against Wimbledon last saturday, these are where the defenders need to be commanding.

We wont be replacing them with raw, unready kids either. Spillane (who could od a job as captain too i think) whitbread, Askou and Rose are all experieanced. whilst fitness might be an issue if we do replace any of the back 4 then the players coming in will be up to the standard.

Saturday is must win and against a decent strike force. a shaky defence could lead to mistakes, and these are mistakes we cant afford.

Whitbread isn''t being rushed back.  But in general,we''ve only let in an average of a goal a game - so why start playing tinkerman when the finishing post is in sight ?

Nelson, Doc and Drury have done more enough in the past 2-3 months to be considered starters. One poor game and they are awful...not so.However, Martin has had 2-3 poor games on the trot now, so only fair to give Spillaine a go.

Could be risky changing the whole of the back 4, i would put Spillane in for Martin.

I personally feel we need Hughes in the middle, just behind C.Martin and Rusty in front of the back 4.

Forster

Spillane   Nelson  Doc   Drury

Rusty

Mcnamee  Smith  Lappin

Hughes

Martin

[quote user="FCRude"]

However, Martin has had 2-3 poor games on the trot now, so only fair to give Spillaine a go.

[/quote]

Apart from Saturday against MK Dons when he played really quite well.

Especially considering he had McNamee infront of him who was looking scared of the ball.

If Askou is fit, I''ve got no idea why he isn''t playing, we played our best football when he was in the team.

I''m no fan of Russell Martin, our form dipped soon after he came in.

For one game only Gary Doherty should play up front. We need a big lump up top.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]Whitbread isn''t being rushed back.  But in general,we''ve only let in an average of a goal a game - so why start playing tinkerman when the finishing post is in sight ?[/quote]Agree.[Y]

Nope - we should not make wholesale changes,  and def not to the back 4.

the midfield is the key area that has underperformed over the last couple of months.  Either we give them a chance to put it right or we change it.

Change has been tried - no wes and we run poorly.   442 has been worse than 433 with none of the midfield showing any drive or creativity to shine when the stage was free;  mcnamee especially.  Do we have 4 midfielders to make a 442 work?  We have

1. McNamee Lappin Rusty SMith
  2. McNamee Lappin  Hughes Smith
  3. McNamee Lappin SMith  Hughes
  4. McNamee Rusty   Hughes Smith
  5. Lappin Rusty   Hughes Smith
  6. Lappin Rusty SMith  Hughes

Neither Gill nor WLY are good enough for a 442 so we dont have many more options.   Most of these have been trialled and most have been poor.   Personally I would drop Rusty and if 442 used start with with opt 2 as my preferred start - followed by keeping rusty and not using the on off mcnamee otion in 5.   But neither or any of these plays to our strengths and leaves us weak on the right -  as does playing McNamee there.

So that means sticking with what has worked - the diamond - and find the best player at the squad to play at the diamond.  Oli clearly did not work.   So that leaves Mcnamee, C MArtin or WLY.

McNamee was woeful - completely lost and clueless there as louis donowa was on the pitch without channon to coach him.   Like Doc as the holding midfielder that experiment should never bee seen again.

C Martin - he has done that well before and does possess the intelligence to do the role well.  However that means starting with two from Cody, Oli and Elliott up front.  Sorry - that does not work for me and we lose more than we gain by dropping Chrissy deep.

So that leaves WLY. He has quick feet (if not body) can pass as well as anyone in the squad and has always played demanding the ball to feet.   No - he would not last a whole game - but then we can bring on cody, anthony, hughes or oli all excellent impact subs to add their impetus and either chase or defend the game as needed.   

Its far from ideal - but when the other options have been tried and failed, and with one with in 26 from the capital so another nil points expected on sat,  what more do we have to lose????

[quote user="Penfold"]

I''m no fan of Russell Martin, our form dipped soon after he came in.

[/quote]

Hasn''t he been playing for us since around November?

We seem to have done ok with him since he''s been here.

[quote user="Penfold"]We''ve done okay since he''s been in the team, but I thought we were better before him.[/quote]

I don''t.

We''ve had some terrific performances and results with him in the team.

Like the rest of the defence and the team in general he''s played a very important role in getting us to the top of the league and keeping us there.