Sign in to follow this  
Canary Poirot

Player ratings V Orient

Player ratings V Orient from last night:

Both goals seemed to arise from hesitancy in the box, and it was hard to apportion blame to one person as it wasn''t really clear who wasn''t picking up properly. But we desperately need to sort out our defending from set pieces before Charlton.

Forster 7 - looked very hesitant to come and collect the ball for both goals and for me was partially at fault. In fact he was very hesitant to leave his line the entire match (possibly due to what happened at Tranmere) but then he made two outstanding saves in the second half so can be forgiven.

Martin 5 - constantly closed down by Orient and couldn''t get forward. Not a solid performance by any imagination

Doherty 5 - kept continuously losing his man in the first half. Poor showing with tonnes of hoofs forward.

Nelson 6 - Defended well - continously won the ball in the air. But far too many hoofs.

Drury - 7 - our only out ball all night. Did okay.

Smith 7 - good performance from midfield kept running all night, very good goal too.

Russell 5 - poor distribution and kept giving away silly fouls.

Lappin 6 - put in the few quality balls we produced first half into the box. But other than that was largely anonymous.

Johnson 4 - not in the game at all.

Martin 5 - laboured, hit the post with a speculative effort, but that was about it.

Elliot 3 - awful, but was living off scraps and some diabolical balls played up to him.

Subs:

McNamee 6 - showed some nice touches, but didn''t get enough of the ball. Hit the bar with a mishit cross in the last couple of mins.

Hughes 6 - missed a sitter in the last 5 mins. Did nothing else.

McDondald 5 - touched it about once and did a nice dive in injury time in the box.

Forster  : 6.  Mighty reflexes stopped it being an embarrassment but terrible distribution in a game where some posession was fundamental.R Martin : 5. Agree with you.Doc : 7. I think the hoofs were because of the huge gap created by the tactics in mid field. He was more solid than most and kept his head. Adapted well when moved up front.Nelson : 6. First to most but had a Devon''s Loch moment for their 2nd. Did he hear a shout or something? Defenders should never ever duck under a cross like that. NEVER!Drury : 2nd to too many 50/50s, head down nervous defending and jittery control. As an experienced player he could and should have put his foot on it and played it about more.Smith : 5. Not his best. Didn''t react well to the pressure. When he was invited into the game by decent distribution he did have a go but...Rusty : 5. Again - I expect more from our more experienced players. Gave it away over and over again.Lappin : 6. Looked like he''s been told to hold the diamond so seemed hamstrung getting forward on occasion. Was one of the few not to let his shoulders drop. Some good balls in but overshadowed by McNamee.Oli : 6. Gave it away time and time again. We really needed him to get his foot on it last night. On the one occasion that he did - we built a lovely move.C Martin : 6. Needed another strategy other than the hoofball served to him. Decent movement off the ball.Elliot: 2. I''m not kidding. It may have been the hoofball that did for him but he didn''t exist. What little opportunities he had - he scuffed. 5 in midfield - one in the hole and CM up front would (in hindsight) have been much better.McNamee : 7. Looked bright and asked questions of a lively Orient defence. Should have had longer.Hughes: 6. Didn''t have long enough not to look good especially relative to what had gone before. Had he hit his volley eny less cleanly it would have gone either side of a very relieved keeper.Cody : - . Not enough footy to score points.

Forster - 6 - could have done more with the 2nd goal in my opinion, but 2 good saves.

Doherty - 7 - our best defender, which doesn''t say much. Won almost everything when moved to attack.

Nelson - 5 - poor. Missed a crucial header for 2nd. HOOF...ALL the time...straight to them!

Drury - 6 - good in attack, less so defensively.

R.Martin - 4 - awful.

Lappin - 6.5 - one of few players to do anything with the ball...

Russell - 5 - awful passing. Awful most things actually.

Smith - 6 - good goal but struggled.

Johnson - 6 - had a few good touches but rarely got involved.

Martin - 7 - worked hard, good movement and not afraid to shoot. Needed better service.

Elliot - 1 - being generous. We played with 10 men. Someone else Saturday please!

-------------------------------------------

McNamee - 7.5 - looked very dangerous. Should have been on much earlier.

Hughes - 6.5 - good and bad. Could and should have scored, then played a sloppy pass to Drury.

McDonald - 5 - didn''t get a kick, but again, should have been on earlier.

-------------------------------------

Ryan Jarvis - 9 - worked his socks off all night. Fair play to him, as he clearly wanted to prove something.

Forster 7 - played ok - made 2 great save in the 2nd half to keep us in touch.

Doherty - 6 Ok performace

Nelson 5 - The only thing he is good at is heading and he missed 2 that cost us the goals.

Drury 5 - couldn''t get forward

R.Martin - 4 awful - say no more

Lappin - 6 - provided a few ok balls

Russell - 5 couldn''t string any passes together, continued to give away possession

Smith 7 well taken goal, worked really hard

Johnson 4 - Out of position, not even a poor mans hoolahan at the top of the diamond

Martin 5, he has the poorest work rate in the whole team, not interested if it is not put on a plate for him

Elliot - 3 layed the ball to Korey for the goal and that was it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

McNamee 6 - gave us a bit of something in attack but his crossing was poor

Hughes 6 - looked better when he came on but didn''t set us alight

McDonald - 2 didn''t touch the ball, looking back I would have forgotten that he even came on

I have to say firstly that Lambert is God... but he did get it wrong last night. Some may say his options were limited, but what was most disappointing was the way we were not able to adapt in a positive way until "lastminute.com" tactics for the last 10 minutes..

Firstly, the pitch desperately needed some water, it was hard and VERY bouncy and I can only assume Orient decided that we would not like it that way and watering it would only help us.. but no excuses.. ALL our players were out warming up on it and just about all of them received at least 2 dodgy bounces during the warm up so they should have been prepared.

The first goal showed that we had learned nothing and the second showed why we are going to have serious problems next year in the Championship with our inability to deal with corners or Free kicks which has been evident throughout a great season.

My marks would be as follows:

Forster - 7 Was hesitant a few times to come out when he should have but overall played solidly with 3 good saves at vital times.. kicking is still his weakness though.

R Martin - 4 Was not strong enough in tackle many times last night, poor ball distribution and worryingly last night many times seemed to be unable to see any opposing player directly in front of him when trying to slip a pass through!

Doherty - 7 Solid performance, I am still not a big fan but you cannot deny this man has balls and wears his heart out every game for us, if only some of the others showed the same passion last night... at least last night he did not attempt any dodgy back passes on that bobbly surface!

Nelson - 5 simply not mobile enough to play alongside Doherty in my opinion. Dreadful mistake for their second goal and is never comfortable on the ball, got away with a few other missed headers last night.

Looks heavy and carrying a few too many pounds.

Drury - 7 Was always available for the ball but had little in front to aim at and to be fair was never given a moment of peace by closing down opponents who were hungry to win.

Smith - 8 Great performance in an overpowered midfield, looked comfortable on the ball beyond his years but unfortunately receiving the ball far too often with his back to goal on a bobbly surface did not give him too many opportunities to play anyone in.

Russell - 5 Looks tired and although put in a good amount of running, most of it looked like "going through the motions" rather than with any great purpose. Again like Korey, was struggling with an Orient midfield which was packed and hungry to close us up.

Lappin - 6 Thought his first half performance was as average and ineffectual as most of our play in the first half, but was one of those who came out and gave it a bit of a try in the second half before being subbed.

Johnson - 3 looked like a fish up a tree at times.. unable to get into the game and did not seem to know what to do to get into it either.. showed his lack of experience last night.

Martin - 4 He really is an enigma... great at home but has the tendency to drift right out of games away. Definitely missed the leadership of Holt alongside him last night, miss timed more jumps for headers than I have toes and fingers on my hands and feet and really looked unfit and a bit overweight last night (although he shouldn''t be!) First half he really found it hard to link up with Elliot (so did most of the team!), Second half he really did not make any impact on the game and did not look interested until we got a free kick outside the area with 1 minute left!

Elliot - 1 I think one of the previous posts said they were over generous giving a mark of one and I feel the same... Not a clue how he has made it into the professional game on this showing, his runs are predictable and always rely on going 10-15 metres round the back of the defender, a race which he cannot actually win unless he starts from an offside position. Great oppertunity given to him in the second half and he did not have the composure to take the ball on and run at their goalkeeper, from 25 yards out just lashed the ball out of play 15 yards wide and then gave us a dramatic "head in the hands" moment where we were all supposed to feel sympathy with his "bad luck"... Watching him play brings back memories of some of the apathetic performances of the Glenn Roeder loan signing circus of last year!

Subs:

Mcnamee - 7 Good influence on the game, frightened the Sxxt out of their right back when he came on.. shame he was not on earlier! Dont believe what you read about his "cross-cum-shot" that hit the bar, it was not a cross... he tucked inside and meant to curl it in the far top corner, we were right behind him as he tried it.. great effort.

Hughes - 5 Had a good chance from 18-20 yards but struck it straight at the keeper and probably hit it too well

Macdonald - 5 Hardly got a touch and you would not have known he was on..

What really hurt the most was that Orient seemed to want it more than our lads and I dont know what sort of changes Lambert can make on Saturday without Holt and Hooli as the rest seem drained of ideas...

[quote user="FarnboroughCanary"]I have to say firstly that Lambert is God... but he did get it wrong last night. Some may say his options were limited, but what was most disappointing was the way we were not able to adapt in a positive way until "lastminute.com" tactics for the last 10 minutes..

Firstly, the pitch desperately needed some water, it was hard and VERY bouncy and I can only assume Orient decided that we would not like it that way and watering it would only help us.. but no excuses.. ALL our players were out warming up on it and just about all of them received at least 2 dodgy bounces during the warm up so they should have been prepared.

The first goal showed that we had learned nothing and the second showed why we are going to have serious problems next year in the Championship with our inability to deal with corners or Free kicks which has been evident throughout a great season.

My marks would be as follows:

Forster - 7 Was hesitant a few times to come out when he should have but overall played solidly with 3 good saves at vital times.. kicking is still his weakness though.

R Martin - 4 Was not strong enough in tackle many times last night, poor ball distribution and worryingly last night many times seemed to be unable to see any opposing player directly in front of him when trying to slip a pass through!

Doherty - 7 Solid performance, I am still not a big fan but you cannot deny this man has balls and wears his heart out every game for us, if only some of the others showed the same passion last night... at least last night he did not attempt any dodgy back passes on that bobbly surface!

Nelson - 5 simply not mobile enough to play alongside Doherty in my opinion. Dreadful mistake for their second goal and is never comfortable on the ball, got away with a few other missed headers last night.

Looks heavy and carrying a few too many pounds.

Drury - 7 Was always available for the ball but had little in front to aim at and to be fair was never given a moment of peace by closing down opponents who were hungry to win.

Smith - 8 Great performance in an overpowered midfield, looked comfortable on the ball beyond his years but unfortunately receiving the ball far too often with his back to goal on a bobbly surface did not give him too many opportunities to play anyone in.

Russell - 5 Looks tired and although put in a good amount of running, most of it looked like "going through the motions" rather than with any great purpose. Again like Korey, was struggling with an Orient midfield which was packed and hungry to close us up.

Lappin - 6 Thought his first half performance was as average and ineffectual as most of our play in the first half, but was one of those who came out and gave it a bit of a try in the second half before being subbed.

Johnson - 3 looked like a fish up a tree at times.. unable to get into the game and did not seem to know what to do to get into it either.. showed his lack of experience last night.

Martin - 4 He really is an enigma... great at home but has the tendency to drift right out of games away. Definitely missed the leadership of Holt alongside him last night, miss timed more jumps for headers than I have toes and fingers on my hands and feet and really looked unfit and a bit overweight last night (although he shouldn''t be!) First half he really found it hard to link up with Elliot (so did most of the team!), Second half he really did not make any impact on the game and did not look interested until we got a free kick outside the area with 1 minute left!

Elliot - 1 I think one of the previous posts said they were over generous giving a mark of one and I feel the same... Not a clue how he has made it into the professional game on this showing, his runs are predictable and always rely on going 10-15 metres round the back of the defender, a race which he cannot actually win unless he starts from an offside position. Great oppertunity given to him in the second half and he did not have the composure to take the ball on and run at their goalkeeper, from 25 yards out just lashed the ball out of play 15 yards wide and then gave us a dramatic "head in the hands" moment where we were all supposed to feel sympathy with his "bad luck"... Watching him play brings back memories of some of the apathetic performances of the Glenn Roeder loan signing circus of last year!

Subs:

Mcnamee - 7 Good influence on the game, frightened the Sxxt out of their right back when he came on.. shame he was not on earlier! Dont believe what you read about his "cross-cum-shot" that hit the bar, it was not a cross... he tucked inside and meant to curl it in the far top corner, we were right behind him as he tried it.. great effort.

Hughes - 5 Had a good chance from 18-20 yards but struck it straight at the keeper and probably hit it too well

Macdonald - 5 Hardly got a touch and you would not have known he was on..

What really hurt the most was that Orient seemed to want it more than our lads and I dont know what sort of changes Lambert can make on Saturday without Holt and Hooli as the rest seem drained of ideas...[/quote]mmm oh dear I wonder if football expert Tilly is reading this??? [:|]Isn''t it noticeable how everybody seems to be claiming that McNamee created more going forwards in 15 mins than Lappin did in 75 mins?  I also have to laugh at these apparent good balls in to the box from Lappin - are people talking about the ones which came down with snow on them and were so easy to defend against it was untrue???

Forster 7 - Made some good saves but his kicking was quite poor again.

Doherty - 5 Was a bit dissapointing he gave the ball away quite a few times.

Nelson 5 - Was poor defensively and just hoofed it every time he got it.

Drury 6 - Played ok but wasnt his best performance.

R.Martin - 5 Wasnt in the game much and when he was he was caught in possession quite often.

Lappin - 5 I dont know why he gets in the team infront of Macnamee he done nothing.

Russell - 6 Gave the ball away a few times but worked hard.

Smith - 7 Scored a good goal and looked our best player on the day.

Johnson - 6 Tried hard but didnt get in the game really.

Martin - 6 Without Holt he isnt as good and didnt do much really.

Elliot - 4 Hopefully we dont sign him he just isnt good enough.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

McNamee 7 - Looked our biggest threat and must start against Charlton.

Hughes 6 - Looked decent when he came on but should have scored.

McDonald - 5 Was hardly in the game.

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="FarnboroughCanary"]I have to say firstly that Lambert is God... but he did get it wrong last night. Some may say his options were limited, but what was most disappointing was the way we were not able to adapt in a positive way until "lastminute.com" tactics for the last 10 minutes.. Firstly, the pitch desperately needed some water, it was hard and VERY bouncy and I can only assume Orient decided that we would not like it that way and watering it would only help us.. but no excuses.. ALL our players were out warming up on it and just about all of them received at least 2 dodgy bounces during the warm up so they should have been prepared. The first goal showed that we had learned nothing and the second showed why we are going to have serious problems next year in the Championship with our inability to deal with corners or Free kicks which has been evident throughout a great season. My marks would be as follows: Forster - 7 Was hesitant a few times to come out when he should have but overall played solidly with 3 good saves at vital times.. kicking is still his weakness though. R Martin - 4 Was not strong enough in tackle many times last night, poor ball distribution and worryingly last night many times seemed to be unable to see any opposing player directly in front of him when trying to slip a pass through! Doherty - 7 Solid performance, I am still not a big fan but you cannot deny this man has balls and wears his heart out every game for us, if only some of the others showed the same passion last night... at least last night he did not attempt any dodgy back passes on that bobbly surface! Nelson - 5 simply not mobile enough to play alongside Doherty in my opinion. Dreadful mistake for their second goal and is never comfortable on the ball, got away with a few other missed headers last night. Looks heavy and carrying a few too many pounds. Drury - 7 Was always available for the ball but had little in front to aim at and to be fair was never given a moment of peace by closing down opponents who were hungry to win. Smith - 8 Great performance in an overpowered midfield, looked comfortable on the ball beyond his years but unfortunately receiving the ball far too often with his back to goal on a bobbly surface did not give him too many opportunities to play anyone in. Russell - 5 Looks tired and although put in a good amount of running, most of it looked like "going through the motions" rather than with any great purpose. Again like Korey, was struggling with an Orient midfield which was packed and hungry to close us up. Lappin - 6 Thought his first half performance was as average and ineffectual as most of our play in the first half, but was one of those who came out and gave it a bit of a try in the second half before being subbed. Johnson - 3 looked like a fish up a tree at times.. unable to get into the game and did not seem to know what to do to get into it either.. showed his lack of experience last night. Martin - 4 He really is an enigma... great at home but has the tendency to drift right out of games away. Definitely missed the leadership of Holt alongside him last night, miss timed more jumps for headers than I have toes and fingers on my hands and feet and really looked unfit and a bit overweight last night (although he shouldn''t be!) First half he really found it hard to link up with Elliot (so did most of the team!), Second half he really did not make any impact on the game and did not look interested until we got a free kick outside the area with 1 minute left! Elliot - 1 I think one of the previous posts said they were over generous giving a mark of one and I feel the same... Not a clue how he has made it into the professional game on this showing, his runs are predictable and always rely on going 10-15 metres round the back of the defender, a race which he cannot actually win unless he starts from an offside position. Great oppertunity given to him in the second half and he did not have the composure to take the ball on and run at their goalkeeper, from 25 yards out just lashed the ball out of play 15 yards wide and then gave us a dramatic "head in the hands" moment where we were all supposed to feel sympathy with his "bad luck"... Watching him play brings back memories of some of the apathetic performances of the Glenn Roeder loan signing circus of last year! Subs: Mcnamee - 7 Good influence on the game, frightened the Sxxt out of their right back when he came on.. shame he was not on earlier! Dont believe what you read about his "cross-cum-shot" that hit the bar, it was not a cross... he tucked inside and meant to curl it in the far top corner, we were right behind him as he tried it.. great effort. Hughes - 5 Had a good chance from 18-20 yards but struck it straight at the keeper and probably hit it too well Macdonald - 5 Hardly got a touch and you would not have known he was on.. What really hurt the most was that Orient seemed to want it more than our lads and I dont know what sort of changes Lambert can make on Saturday without Holt and Hooli as the rest seem drained of ideas...[/quote]

mmm oh dear I wonder if football expert Tilly is reading this??? [:|]

Isn''t it noticeable how everybody seems to be claiming that McNamee created more going forwards in 15 mins than Lappin did in 75 mins?  I also have to laugh at these apparent good balls in to the box from Lappin - are people talking about the ones which came down with snow on them and were so easy to defend against it was untrue???
[/quote]

Right then Smudge I am going to disagree with you so keep it friendly. That was a cross please watch it again,in his the defence the ball boobled up in front of him. Unfortunately unless you can correct me what I saw was nudged of the ball 3 times with fairy taps, 3 brilliant positions to cross, 1st straight out of play, 2nd along the ground easily cleared by the man at the man at the front post and the 3rd a completely miss hit cross which happened to hit the post.

At the time I beleived our goalkeeper who has been magnificent throughout the season was completely off the pace for most of the first half. I would love to hear the dressing room verdict but I am not convinced that both goals were not down to him as this was not his usual dominant self.