Sign in to follow this  
Normann Canary

Burnt out coach in Carrow car park!

Luckily not recently!!

But going back a while...

The date is 04/01/1994, we are playing Newcastle at home... I "remember" walking past a burnt out coach in the car park... does anybody else? Or have I just imagined it (which is also quite possible)!! I know that with the vast knowledge base on this forum, we can get to the bottom of it!!

Anyone out there share similar memories??????

As I recall we beat them 2-1 that day. Don''t remember a burned out coach, but do remember having a wedding anniversary meal that lunchtime in a Thorpe riverside pub, and there was a load of Newcastle fans there as well, having a drink. No trouble or anything, but I do remember having a feeling of rather patronising superiority over them!
After which, fate chose to give me a lesson in humility, because it was pretty much all downhill from there for the Canaries.

Am I right in thinking we were 2-0 up after 10 mins. Ruel Fox first return since leaving. They dicked on us but we still won.burnt out coach rings a bell why?

We were 2-0 up early on, and Marshall was covering for an injured Gunn, and proceded to make save after save after save. I remember it well - first trip to FCR for my middle daughter so we have some photos to prove it too!

[quote]As I recall we beat them 2-1 that day. Don''t remember a burned out coach, but do remember having a wedding anniversary meal that lunchtime in a Thorpe riverside pub, and there was a load of Newcastle ...[/quote]

remember all your meals, do you fool?

I wasn''t going then but someone gave me some old programmes and I''ve found that game. Gunn had days earlier been injured at Notts Forest and so Marshall took over. It was new years eve (31/12) 1994 and the game kicked off at lunch time (12 or 12:30) to allow the away fans to get home for the new year celebrations. Norwich won the match and it seems had a 2 goal lead but conceeded and just hung on and apparently Marshall was quite dodgy which wasn''t surprising. In 1995 we had just one premier league win and against the Binners and had Simon Tracey on loan which pratically meant relegation and of course we all remember what happened that May. That was the game against Newcastle and where Marshall took over from Gunn. Boxing Day we played Spurs and that was when Jurgen Klinsmann was playing for them and the next day it was upto Nottingham and the City Ground to play Forest and where Gunn got injured.

[quote]remember all your meals, do you fool?[/quote]

I remember the first meal that your bloated signature put me off!

By the way, did you know that your ego had been down to the Millennium Stadium on its own?

I thought you were inseparable..  

[quote]I remember the first meal that your bloated signature put me off! By the way, did you know that your ego had been down to the Millennium Stadium on its own? I thought you were inseparable..[/quote]

AJ''s ego, take two.....

Thanks guys/gals...

We actually lost the game 2-1 unfortunately, Bowen scored for us!

I''ll do some more research and see what else I can dig up!! Hopefully it was there... or i may have to consider psychological help for myself

Making Plans for...:

Sorry to disapoint you mate, ol King Worthy aint burnt out yet!!

Or did you think it meant, "burnt out coach is caught in car "in a car park"....."!!!

Anyways... Let''s hope he''s got a few years left yet and a few more "tricks" up his sleeve!!

I''m bad on dates witout a diary - if it is the one we lost 2-1 then it was a night game (one of walkers last if not the last) and it wasn''t only the coach that got damaged that night: my car got broken into, both front windowes smashed (nothing taken), and I was staying in Leicester overnight for work the next morning. I remember the coldest drive across to Peterborough and beyond of my life with no windowes, freezing winds, a coat and blanket and the heatingmaking no impression!

These threads are a bit like "do you remeber where you were when Kennedy was shot" and the like aren''t they - every game has a peculiar memory for everyone. One of the joys of following any football team, but especially ours.

If it was the New Years Eve game, I remember it very well. Marshall was absolutely class all game and he pretty much kept us in it.

I also remember it well, because he was in the Otter Pub in Thorpe Marriot later on that very night, as was I, and I bought him a drink as a thank you for his great performance.

[quote]If it was the New Years Eve game, I remember it very well. Marshall was absolutely class all game and he pretty much kept us in it. I also remember it well, because he was in the Otter Pub in Thorpe ...[/quote]

If it was the New Years Eve game we won 2-1. Midday kick off, Marshall made his debut. 2 nil up after 10 minutes and then we got mullered for the next 80 minutes. Walked away from the game thinking "what a great keeper, how on earth did we win that?"

Do you still go in the Otter? Used to live on Thorpe Marriott from 94 until 2000, pop in every other Friday for a quick pint before I pick up my kids.

[quote]Thanks guys/gals... We actually lost the game 2-1 unfortunately, Bowen scored for us! I''ll do some more research and see what else I can dig up!! Hopefully it was there... or i may have to conside...[/quote]

Ah - I was thinking of the game on 31/12/94, which we did win 2-1!

No not any more Meeky, live in Thorpe now, close to the Mustard Pot pub (great pre and post match incidentally) but lived there from about 92 to 94. Otter used to be a great pub, hear it is not so good these days, but had some great nights in there. New Years Eve was always a good one, and that chinese near the Otter also used to be good, especially after a few beers.

Quite a few players used to live on Marriott, including Sutch, Marshall, etc and Akinbiyi used to live close by, I actually looked at his house when I moved to Brundall in 94. Bit of an untidy gaff to be honest, he had loads of trainers piled up in a heap, and was a bit grump when we were looking round. Needless to say I did not buy it!!

This will be the one then.  What a great end to the year it was with Ipswich getting stuffed and well on the way to relegation. 

You think we defend deep now!! anyone who was at the game will remember our back four not getting out further than the penalty spot all second half and we faced cross after cross in an alamo like 45 mins.  Marshall made some great saves but being 19 I think he was abit overrawed and incapable of shouting "GET OUT" to his defenders every time we cleared another cross.

We were 7th after that win and still went on to get relegated.  Perhaps this year being second bottom at christmas may be OK as we could go on to qualify for the Champions League.

31 December 1994
Arsenal                     1    Queens Park Rangers         3
  Jensen                           Gallen, Allen, Impey

Chelsea                     1    Wimbledon                   1
  Furlong                          Ekoku

Coventry City               0    Tottenham Hotspur           4
                                   (Darby og), Barmby, Anderton, Sheringham

Crystal Palace              0    Blackburn Rovers            1
                                   Sherwood

Everton                     4    Ipswich Town                1
  Ferguson, Rideout 2, Watson      Sedgley

Leeds United                0    Liverpool                   2
                                   Redknapp, Fowler

Leicester City              0    Sheffield Wednesday         1
                                   Hyde

Manchester City             2    Aston Villa                 2
  Rosler 2     &

[quote]I''m bad on dates witout a diary - if it is the one we lost 2-1 then it was a night game (one of walkers last if not the last) and it wasn''t only the coach that got damaged that night: my car got broke...[/quote]

shropshire canary:That''s the one mate, night game and we lost, I was sitting in the family enclosure behind some away fan who for the "whole match" was jumping up and down yelling "SUPER DOOPER HOOPER"!!! I know I was young at the time, but even I manged to come up with more than one phrase of support!!Yep, these threads are definately like a trip down memory lane, unfortunately for me. I''m still undecided whether my "main" memory is for real or not cheers mate

[quote]AJ''s ego, take two.....[/quote]

lmao, even made me laugh

*puts pic in sig*