Sign in to follow this  
The Butler

Doc,Nelson and Elliot

So two very bad mistakes by our center backs gifts Orient two goals. Balls over the top against slow turners or bad judgement?

My biggest worry is Lambert playing Elliot in preference to our other strikers.

Headless chicken?

Does not fit our style?

Other than the two tap ins he has failed to impress and we look far better with alternative strikers. Oli,Cody Macnamee or Beau!!

Lambert has made very few mistakes but as I have posted before I think perseverence with Elliot is a very BIG mistake and might yet cost us very dearly.

He was not to blame for two stupid goals but he offered nothing up front.

Lets hope Wes is fit for Saturday(although I doubt it) or Lambert finds a formation that performs better than tonight.

Before Nutty starts YES I watched it on the radio.

I agree Elliot is not up to much and no better than what we already had in reserve. If Lambert has made one mistake it was bringing in him rather than a player with the skills to hold up the ball and be a pain in the arse to defenders.

He needs to do something pretty drastic I think. It is not a knee jerk reaction. Our performances have been concerning for some time now. Starting up front I think we need a physical prescene up there with Martin. The only realistic options for me are either Johnson (may not have the hold up play but put a good shift in today) or Doherty to just give us a physical presence up there.

The other area I would be looking at is the midfield. I just don''t see the point in playing the diamond without Wes. He is tailor made for that role and any other player just cant cause enough damage to the opposition to justify it. However the alternative systems are not particularly hopeful. I would like to see a 4-4-2 with McNamee and Hughes out on the flanks. I think that would be fine away from home. Playing one out and out winger in his proper position in away matches was one of the view things I quite liked about the Roeder regime. He employed it in his first season and we got some great away results particularly the Cardiff win. Ironically the one time we played two real wingers away at Leicester we got thumped 4-0.

However the central midfield would still concern me greatly. Russell and Smith seem to be incapable of playing together as a midfield two. They just seem to end up in each others way trying to do the same job. It a very concerning time because for the first time since Lambert took over we dont have 11 players who look comfortable with what they are doing.

In a flat 4-4-2 we need Hughes in the middle to pick a pass or two. The difficult thing is who would play on the right.

[quote user="king canary"]In a flat 4-4-2 we need Hughes in the middle to pick a pass or two. The difficult thing is who would play on the right. [/quote]Should have kept Whaley ;)Smith or Russell would be fine on the right.

[quote user="king canary"]In a flat 4-4-2 we need Hughes in the middle to pick a pass or two. The difficult thing is who would play on the right. [/quote]I wouldn''t trust Hughes to pick his own nose.

Now what do you want to bring me into this for Butler? If you still need to find scapegoats you don''t need to run it by me[;)]

We were well beaten tonight. Beaten by a side who wanted to win the game more. A side who fought for everything. If Orient lost the first ball they then made sure they won the second and the third. If the ball ran loose there''d be three red shirts around it before one white shirt got close. Yes we struggled with the conditions, especially the hard pitch and bounce of the ball, but that was no excuse really. We can always look at a goal conceded and find someone to blame but it wasn''t Nelly''s or Docs fault we didn''t match Orient all over the park.

Our old friend Worthy used to say "you have to earn the right to play your football". Well I can tell you the only side who earned the right to play tonight were the O''s. Good luck to them and there''s no way they''ll go down if they can repeat that for their remaining fixtures.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Now what do you want to bring me into this for Butler? If you still need to find scapegoats you don''t need to run it by me[;)]

We were well beaten tonight. Beaten by a side who wanted to win the game more. A side who fought for everything. If Orient lost the first ball they then made sure they won the second and the third. If the ball ran loose there''d be three red shirts around it before one white shirt got close. Yes we struggled with the conditions, especially the hard pitch and bounce of the ball, but that was no excuse really. We can always look at a goal conceded and find someone to blame but it wasn''t Nelly''s or Docs fault we didn''t match Orient all over the park.

Our old friend Worthy used to say "you have to earn the right to play your football". Well I can tell you the only side who earned the right to play tonight were the O''s. Good luck to them and there''s no way they''ll go down if they can repeat that for their remaining fixtures.

[/quote]

So Nelson and Doherty did not stand around like two tailors dummies  for both then goals Nutty?.It was crap defending and bugger all to do with a hard pitch and bounce of the ball.One of our problems was that we had too many players who when called upon to put in a 90 minute shift in the absence of Holt and Hoolahan cannot do it....Elliott,Johnson,Mcnamee to name but three.

Sorry about this Butler but have started him off now so i will be back about 5pm to see his multi response posts.

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

So Nelson and Doherty did not stand around like two tailors dummies  for both then goals Nutty?.It was crap defending and bugger all to do with a hard pitch and bounce of the ball.One of our problems was that we had too many players who when called upon to put in a 90 minute shift in the absence of Holt and Hoolahan cannot do it....Elliott,Johnson,Mcnamee to name but three.

Sorry about this Butler but have started him off now so i will be back about 5pm to see his multi response posts.

[/quote]

Did I say it was bugger all to do with the hard pitch and bounce of the ball? Did I say the Doc and Nelson weren''t at fault for the goals? Typical Tilly "We lost so I''m gonna pick holes in nutty''s post by agreeing with it".

We have to accept that Doherty and Nelson are not the quickest of defenders, but they have performed well, especially against Leeds at home.  I personally think Elliott is a good player who makes intelligent runs, unfortunately we have no player in midfield who can spot these runs and feed the ball to him quickly.  Our priority next season has to be a midfielder who can spot the runs and make the passess, someone like an Ian Crook.

The most worrying thing for me at the moment is that we seem to have lost some urgency in our play, and in the last three games we have been second to the ball.  Perhaps memories of last season at the Valley may inspire us to lift our game on Saturday.  It was bad enough listening to the Charlton fans last time singing "thats why you''re going down" but the thought of away supporters singing "12 points clear and you f----d it up" is still a possibility.

It feels like the midfield have become complacent.     We drove ourselves up the table through sheer hard work;  we were fitter and used that to close the ball down , retain possession and th use the talented strikers to take the points.

But since we hit top spot it seems we now expect to win games.   We have forgotten the desire that took us there to start with.   Talent alone does not win games;  drive with a lower ability often wins out - Beckham being a prime example.

Lappin, Russell and Smith (particularly the last two over the last 4-6 games) have not performed to their previous high standards for a couple of months now.  Same Holt - who does not defend from the front as he did in Nov Dec,  when it all mattered.   The midfield are now turning their backs on the back 4 leaving them to hoof the ball,  previously they demanded it to get it to wes.

Well squad;  the points still matter.  Put in the effort and the talent that you do have will have the possession you need to make the team shine again.  You cant get 3 points without being willing.

Return to effort, committment and we will win.  The focus is on Rusty, Smith and Lappin to change that.    

first goal looked to be a whole defensive mess up to be honest. they just passed the ball around us :|

for the second, has to be a combination of nelson and forster. Nelson ducked, and the guy scored from no more than 2 yards out. Why a 6ft however high goalkeeper cannot step out to punch or even catch this is beyond me.

I am also with Zipper on this, well partly anyway.Defence starts from the front, strikers retain the ball and allow the midfield and therefore the defence to be able to push up. But I also mainly think the key is retention of the ball in midfield, it is the engine room that makes everything else tick allowing pressure to be taken off the defence and allowing the strikers time and space to make their runs.And unfortunately that man who can keep the ball at his feet and also create the breaks from midfield isn''t playing right now.

[quote user="morty"]I am also with Zipper on this, well partly anyway.

Defence starts from the front, strikers retain the ball and allow the midfield and therefore the defence to be able to push up. But I also mainly think the key is retention of the ball in midfield, it is the engine room that makes everything else tick allowing pressure to be taken off the defence and allowing the strikers time and space to make their runs.

And unfortunately that man who can keep the ball at his feet and also create the breaks from midfield isn''t playing right now.
[/quote]

Completely agree on the wes point - we got relegated last season when Wes was injured and we missed his presence - and his absence now if being felt just as much.

At the same time as a big time charlie attitude hitting the players who are not putting in the same committment in midfield  (southemapton, tranmere, stockport, mk dons and now orient ALL wanted to win more than we did) and as a result they are also defending deeper,  even with the attacking threat prowess of McNamee on the pitch are the reasons for our current demise.

Yes there werer individual errors from Doc and Nelson last night,  but once again we did not win the midfield battle - and this meant we did not win any points.   Give the defending midfielders a player who can take and move the ball on creatively and perhaps things will change

Wes encourages the passing game by being our ''Big Fish'' character. Like when Huckerby was our star man, the first pass most of our players look for will be the Hoolahan pass; its obvious that lobbing it to him won''t work, so said pass usually comes along the ground. This is also helped by the way he will always make a little space and go receive that ball. Without him, our out ball is a long one to Holt for knock-downs; without that, it appears our out ball is... er... just kick it?

The obvious solution is to give Hoolahan bionic legs so he is easier to repair.

Failing that, we need someone who can get a grip on that ball out of defence/midfield. McNamee lacks the presence, Oli isn''t ready for that responsibility- maybe Hughes? One other option I might consider is using youngster Danny Kelly who is our academy centre forward. 2 goals in 11 reserves starts (13 in 24 for the youth team) is not that impressive, but he has been on the bench already this season and could fill that Holt mantle that Doherty took up at the end of the Orient game when we started to look a bit more dangerous.

Guess we''ll just have to wait for Saturday

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Did I say it was bugger all to do with the hard pitch and bounce of the ball? Did I say the Doc and Nelson weren''t at fault for the goals? Typical Tilly "We lost so I''m gonna pick holes in nutty''s post by agreeing with it".

[/quote]

Stop splitting hairs Nutty,The hard pitch and bounce of the ball had nothing to do with either goal but if i go along with your "Typical Tilly" may i be so bold as to say there is a big dollop of "Typical Nutty" in your post as i see Worthy got his customary mention!

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Stop splitting hairs Nutty,The hard pitch and bounce of the ball had nothing to do with either goal but if i go along with your "Typical Tilly" may i be so bold as to say there is a big dollop of "Typical Nutty" in your post as i see Worthy got his customary mention!

[/quote]

Again we agree!

Would it help you read my posts if I "ponced them up" in Italics[:^)]

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Again we agree!

[/quote]

You have picked the wrong guy if you are looking to start a bromance with me.

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Again we agree!

[/quote]

[/quote]

[8]Rah rah ah-ah-ah!
Ro mah ro-mah-mah
Gaga Ooh-la-la!

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Again we agree!

[/quote]

[/quote]

[8]Rah rah ah-ah-ah!
Ro mah ro-mah-mah
Gaga Ooh-la-la!

[/quote]

Now that makes more sense than a lot of your posts.

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]oh dear Tilly... I think I am going to have to start saying that every Lappin assist was a mis-hit shot and perhaps all of his shots which have ended up in row ''Z'' (because he hasn''t actually got one on target for what 3 years now) were actually were actually attempts to find Holt with a pin-point header upfront.Talk about not giving plaudits where they are due... you have not even uttered a word of credit for the 6 points that McNamee''s wayward crosses won us away at Oldham and at home to Stockport on Easter Monday yet Tilly. [:$]You reckon I slate Lappin... at least I gave him credit on here last time he set up a goal for us.

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

oh dear Tilly... I think I am going to have to start saying that every Lappin assist was a mis-hit shot and perhaps all of his shots which have ended up in row ''Z'' (because he hasn''t actually got one on target for what 3 years now) were actually were actually attempts to find Holt with a pin-point header upfront.

Talk about not giving plaudits where they are due... you have not even uttered a word of credit for the 6 points that McNamee''s wayward crosses won us away at Oldham and at home to Stockport on Easter Monday yet Tilly. [:$]

You reckon I slate Lappin... at least I gave him credit on here last time he set up a goal for us.
[/quote]

Read what i said carefully Smudge (sorry to sound like Nutty).I said that those players named when required cannot put in a ninty minute shift.That is my opinion and as you are obviously defending your mate Macnamee he has never ever in his career wherever he has been cut it consistently over the course of a whole game.Look at the stats and then tell me i am wrong.He has talent but he drifts in and out of the game and that in this league is a luxury which after all is a roll up the sleeves  and get stuck in division.

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It''s a pity you didn''t take your own advice and read what I said carefully Tilly. Then you could have saved all those subsequent posts arguing with yourself.

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]oh dear Tilly... I think I am going to have to start saying that every Lappin assist was a mis-hit shot and perhaps all of his shots which have ended up in row ''Z'' (because he hasn''t actually got one on target for what 3 years now) were actually were actually attempts to find Holt with a pin-point header upfront.Talk about not giving plaudits where they are due... you have not even uttered a word of credit for the 6 points that McNamee''s wayward crosses won us away at Oldham and at home to Stockport on Easter Monday yet Tilly. [:$]You reckon I slate Lappin... at least I gave him credit on here last time he set up a goal for us. [/quote]

Read what i said carefully Smudge (sorry to sound like Nutty).I said that those players named when required cannot put in a ninty minute shift.That is my opinion and as you are obviously defending your mate Macnamee he has never ever in his career wherever he has been cut it consistently over the course of a whole game.Look at the stats and then tell me i am wrong.He has talent but he drifts in and out of the game and that in this league is a luxury which after all is a roll up the sleeves  and get stuck in division.

[/quote]I don''t disagree with you on McNamee''s difficulty to put in a 90 minute shift Tilly, but I also have my doubts about Lappin on that score too.What I do disagree with you about is "the need to be able to roll up the sleeves and get stuck in" when playing in this division and I don''t believe that Lappin offers any more defensively than McNamee or Wes when he is playing.  Is it purely rolling up our sleeves and getting stuck in which has got us to the top of the league, or is it that (with the exception of possibly Southampton since Christmas) we have far more quality upfront than any other team in this division and that we also have the creativity of one or two individuals from midfield?We are one of the least physical sides in this league yet we are still top of it.Again we have another player in Hughes who struggles to put a 90 minute shift in so it seems, but I would rather start with our players who I think have the most talent, get a lead and try to keep it.  We have been undone too many times in recent weeks by conceeding the first goal for me.  It seems that the first goal is very important even at this level of football.I think that apart from silly errors we have had enough defensively in most games.  I think our problems are stemming mainly from not enough quality use of the ball from certain players when coming forwards - hence why we saw it lofted forwards aimlessly so many times both last night and against MK Dons.

I think we got to the top of the league by a combination of hard work and creativity, last night highlighted to me how much we miss Hoolahan and how important Holt is to us. There has to be a balance between the two (hard work and ceativity), last night was all huff and puff, but no creativity and no real physical presence up front.