Sign in to follow this  
Razzmatazz

Doc

Am I right in thinking Doc''s contract is up this summer..?? If it is would we want to retain him. I know he''s done well this season but I feel thats got more to do with him finding his level. He''s consistantly shown himself to be a pretty poor Championship defender.

[quote user="Razzmatazz"]Am I right in thinking Doc''s contract is up this summer..?? If it is would we want to retain him. I know he''s done well this season but I feel thats got more to do with him finding his level. He''s consistantly shown himself to be a pretty poor Championship defender.[/quote]Get rid. Not good enough. I can just imagine the responses ''ah but he''s done well this season''.....

[quote user="Razzmatazz"]Am I right in thinking Doc''s contract is up this summer..?? If it is would we want to retain him. I know he''s done well this season but I feel thats got more to do with him finding his level. He''s consistantly shown himself to be a pretty poor Championship defender.[/quote]

I reckon we should keep him. He''s consistently performed that much btter than Nelson this season, and from what I''ve seen Whitbread, so I''m sure he''d still be a good sub in he Championship to have. Anyway this is the Doc we ar talking about- I still can''t believe peple are actually considering letting him go.

Are you serious..?? Whitbread is a class player as mentioned by Ian Crook recently he just hasnt been fully fit, he clearly wasnt fit against Stockport recently. Doc''s days must be over, we need to lose him and get a younger centre half with a bit of pace.

[quote user="Razzmatazz"]Are you serious..?? Whitbread is a class player as mentioned by Ian Crook recently he just hasnt been fully fit, he clearly wasnt fit against Stockport recently. Doc''s days must be over, we need to lose him and get a younger centre half with a bit of pace.[/quote]30 isn''t particularly old for a defender is it ?  How old was Edworthy when he was here ?

[quote user="Razzmatazz"]Are you serious..?? Whitbread is a class player as mentioned by Ian Crook recently he just hasnt been fully fit, he clearly wasnt fit against Stockport recently. Doc''s days must be over, we need to lose him and get a younger centre half with a bit of pace.[/quote]

Doesn''t Doc have a bit of pace pace then Razz?

At most Doc would be passable as a sub in the Championship.

One of the problems we have playing 442 is the lack of pace on the turn with our central defenders and was a major reason to ''go diamond''

Oh yes, and when fit Whitbread is a class defender.

[quote user="Razzmatazz"]Are you serious..?? Whitbread is a class player as mentioned by Ian Crook recently he just hasnt been fully fit, he clearly wasnt fit against Stockport recently. Doc''s days must be over, we need to lose him and get a younger centre half with a bit of pace.[/quote]

Like I said "from what i''ve seen"- you can''t just make an assumption that he''s good because frankly who know''s; he could be injury prone, or maybe his injury may have affected the way he played as you mentioned yourself. I''m reserving my judgemen on him until he has started a good few game for us, however from what I''ve seen the Doc has been better. Anyway why are you saying Doc''s days are over but not nelson''s days?? If Whitbread is so good why do we need a younger centre half?

[quote user="Razzmatazz"]He''s consistantly shown himself to be a pretty poor Championship defender.[/quote]The problem with this statement is that he''s also been part of consistently poor Championship sides, badly organised, with constant changing of one journeyman to another journeyman player around him. It could be that, with a bit of stability, a bit of organisation and some confidence, he shows the form he''s shown this season in the championship. Look at it this way - if he was playing for another side, after got all the reviews he''s got this season as part of a top-of-the-table team, we''d be delighted to sign him up for next season.

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="Razzmatazz"]Are you serious..?? Whitbread is a class player as mentioned by Ian Crook recently he just hasnt been fully fit, he clearly wasnt fit against Stockport recently. Doc''s days must be over, we need to lose him and get a younger centre half with a bit of pace.[/quote]

30 isn''t particularly old for a defender is it ?  How old was Edworthy when he was here ?
[/quote]

Yeah but Edworthy consistently showed he could perform at Championship level and wasn''t one of (if not the) club''s highest earners.

I have been impressed with Doherty this season. Have I been impressed with him over the last 5? No. I rate him at this level and would like him to have a season back in the Championship to see if he''s learnt from this season. However, that''s a bit of a gamble when he has shown he cannot perform in the Championship and is prone to mistakes. If he is the top earning player at our club, I believe we could find a better, more reliable defender for those wages.

As I say, he''s been good this season but few wanted him starting games at the beginning of this season and I don''t particularly want him starting next season. I still think had Whitbread and Askou stayed fit, that would be the centre pairing we would be watching at this stage of the season.

Anyway I feel it would be completely unfair to take away a player''s chance in the Championship when they''ve played so well in the 3r division. I agree players who look shaky should be replaced however Doc has been solid at the back and has relly helped our promotion push- for that reason he deserves a shot at the championsip again

Lambert likes him and his attitude.  As do I.  I do think he is good enough for the champs and I have defended him when he has performed well but criticised when he has not.

I am not sure about next year.   He is a high wage earner - and that is my problem - would his wages be better spent strengthening elsewhere?

The balance question is can we get an equivalent replacement for less? (wages and tranfer fee?)  I am far from convinced we can or will.  Certainly we have nothing at the club at the mo that is a good as he is - whitbread might be but is v injury prone.

So replace if we can get nearly as good for a far smaller wage,  but that is a tough challenge - if we cant do that then we should keep him

[quote] However, that''s a bit of a gamble when he has shown he cannot perform

in the Championship and is prone to mistakes.[/quote]Doherty is no more prone to mistakes than any other player we have had in the back four during his time here.  He can look awkward, and I''d put some of that down to his attempts to put strikers off-balance, which often go unpunished.  He certainly doesn''t deserve the reputation that some people give him on here.

[quote user="Title chasing CT "][quote user="Razzmatazz"]Am I right in thinking Doc''s contract is up this summer..?? If it is would we want to retain him. I know he''s done well this season but I feel thats got more to do with him finding his level. He''s consistantly shown himself to be a pretty poor Championship defender.[/quote]

Get rid. Not good enough. I can just imagine the responses ''ah but he''s done well this season''.....
[/quote]

Imagine away, he''s been solid enough this season, but I think he''s found his level

Just remembe how well he dealt with Jermaine Beckford not to long ago, Beckford arguably being a Championship striker. I think Doc''s found the confidence he needed from a manager like Lambert- something he didn''t really have before.

[quote user="Mook"][quote user="Razzmatazz"]He''s consistantly shown himself to be a pretty poor Championship defender.[/quote]The problem with this statement is that he''s also been part of consistently poor Championship sides, badly organised, with constant changing of one journeyman to another journeyman player around him. It could be that, with a bit of stability, a bit of organisation and some confidence, he shows the form he''s shown this season in the championship. Look at it this way - if he was playing for another side, after got all the reviews he''s got this season as part of a top-of-the-table team, we''d be delighted to sign him up for next season.[/quote]Spot on. CDs need to complement each other & need time to build up an understanding. When Shack returned on loan last year he was much improved, & he & Doc had some excellent games together.He''s an ugly & untidy player who can get get caught on the turn - but he is strong, courageous, fast when going, can pick a pass, has good positional sense & scores the occasional goal. He''s perfectly good enough for the Champs, but - like anybody else - needs the right partner.

Get rid of Doherty and expect to be back down here the season after next.

Much better than Nelson, and the most consistent player we''ve had over the last 3 or 4 seasons. Even last year he was head and shoulders above many others!

[quote user="Razzmatazz"]Are you serious..?? Whitbread is a class player as mentioned by Ian Crook recently he just hasnt been fully fit, he clearly wasnt fit against Stockport recently. Doc''s days must be over, we need to lose him and get a younger centre half with a bit of pace.[/quote]Are you serious???? Didn''t Crook recommend Michael Theoklitos?

[quote user="Razzmatazz"]Am I right in thinking Doc''s contract is up this summer..?? If it is would we want to retain him. I know he''s done well this season but I feel thats got more to do with him finding his level. He''s consistantly shown himself to be a pretty poor Championship defender.[/quote]

Just reading this post indicates to me your either a wind up merchant, pessimism bandwagon jumper or your knowledge of football can be written on the back of a postage stamp or all 3 put together!?

Tell me a better centreback in this Division than the Doc!

Over 200 games for us and the majority of them have been good performances!

[quote user="Razzmatazz"]Am I right in thinking Doc''s contract is up this summer..?? If it is would we want to retain him. I know he''s done well this season but I feel thats got more to do with him finding his level. He''s consistantly shown himself to be a pretty poor Championship defender.[/quote]I''ll trust Lambert''s judgement on whether he''s worth a new contract or not.