Sign in to follow this  
Romantic

Who amoung us wouldn't take a point at Charlton?

All things considered I''d take a point right now.But do I think that the team should go there to try and get just the one point? No.

Neither do I Morty but a denser midfield than last night and some ball retention would be a massive improvement. I''d like to see us value the ball and play patient footy. And unlike some mugs on here I believe we have a squad of players capable of it. With respect to a solid Charlton and our luck there of late - an improved performance and a point would make my day. Now I await a volley of accusations of bottling it...

I would because I don''t see us getting another point until Holt returns. The rest of the team, apart perhaps from Smith, Hoolahan and Drury just don''t seem to have his work ethic and will to win.

[quote user="Romantic"]Neither do I Morty but a denser midfield than last night and some ball retention would be a massive improvement. I''d like to see us value the ball and play patient footy. And unlike some mugs on here I believe we have a squad of players capable of it. With respect to a solid Charlton and our luck there of late - an improved performance and a point would make my day. Now I await a volley of accusations of bottling it...[/quote]If Wes is back it will make all the difference.I personally think our problem last night was that we massively underestimated the opposition, and their desire to win. I don''t think that mistake will be made on Saturday.

Do you really expect us to see Wes again in the near future Morty? I''m not sure I do. Doesn''t sound good.

[quote user="Romantic"]Do you really expect us to see Wes again in the near future Morty? I''m not sure I do. Doesn''t sound good.[/quote]We obviously have no sure way of knowing.But I think Lambert''s team selection last night smacked of "lets just patch it up till Wes is back at the tip of the diamond" and I think that if Wes was going to be out for the rest of the season then he would have gone 4-4-2 knowing that it will be our only choice from here on in, because I think we all know now that the diamond doesn''t work without young Wesley.

We need the defence to maintain concentration - two poor goals at Orient, and strikers to be more accurate - two against the woodwork at Orient.

If they could achieve these, we could win at Charlton, but with Holt missing and Hooly perhaps not fit, I have my doubts.

I would settle for a draw right now.

Point would be an excellent result. I think then it would only need a win against either Gills and Carlisle to see us home.

[quote user="Salopian"]We need the defence to maintain concentration - two poor goals at Orient, and strikers to be more accurate - two against the woodwork at Orient.

If they could achieve these, we could win at Charlton, but with Holt missing and Hooly perhaps not fit, I have my doubts.

I would settle for a draw right now.[/quote]Blimey Sal... That''s putting quite a shine on it. If Forster hadn''t pulled out 2 top drawer saves 2nd half we''d have been pummelled and one of those against the woodwork was a cross. Like your optimism though.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Romantic"]Do you really expect us to see Wes again in the near future Morty? I''m not sure I do. Doesn''t sound good.
[/quote]

We obviously have no sure way of knowing.

But I think Lambert''s team selection last night smacked of "lets just patch it up till Wes is back at the tip of the diamond" and I think that if Wes was going to be out for the rest of the season then he would have gone 4-4-2 knowing that it will be our only choice from here on in, because I think we all know now that the diamond doesn''t work without young Wesley.
[/quote]

I''ve also heard he is out for the season to be honest. I really hope its not true but its a pretty good source.

[quote user="jeagle"]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Romantic"]Do you really expect us to see Wes again in the near future Morty? I''m not sure I do. Doesn''t sound good.[/quote]We obviously have no sure way of knowing.But I think Lambert''s team selection last night smacked of "lets just patch it up till Wes is back at the tip of the diamond" and I think that if Wes was going to be out for the rest of the season then he would have gone 4-4-2 knowing that it will be our only choice from here on in, because I think we all know now that the diamond doesn''t work without young Wesley.[/quote]

I''ve also heard he is out for the season to be honest. I really hope its not true but its a pretty good source.

[/quote]And this source is?

[quote user="morty"][quote user="jeagle"]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Romantic"]Do you really expect us to see Wes again in the near future Morty? I''m not sure I do. Doesn''t sound good.
[/quote]

We obviously have no sure way of knowing.

But I think Lambert''s team selection last night smacked of "lets just patch it up till Wes is back at the tip of the diamond" and I think that if Wes was going to be out for the rest of the season then he would have gone 4-4-2 knowing that it will be our only choice from here on in, because I think we all know now that the diamond doesn''t work without young Wesley.
[/quote]

[/quote]

And this source is?
[/quote]

Sorry only just seen this. Someone who works at the club. Possibly another player...I''m not naming names in case he is fibbing to me.

[quote user="Romantic"]Do you really expect us to see Wes again in the near future Morty? I''m not sure I do. Doesn''t sound good.
[/quote]

I''m not expecting to see him back and yes I''d take a point.

Even with Wes I am and always have been expecting a defeat here.  Our record in london has been well explored and against charlton is probably even worse.

Without wes to give us shape and panache we will struggle to create.

So yes - I would be very happy with a point. 

Seeings Wes back this season? No I don''t think we will.

A point away to Charlton? I''d have taken that as soon as the fixture list came out. With our current luck, the last performance, and the incredible run of trips to London standing at 1 win in the last 25 trips (I think I read somewhere), yes I''d take a point.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Even with Wes I am and always have been expecting a defeat here.  Our record in london has been well explored and against charlton is probably even worse.

[/quote]I''m sorry Zip, I don''t buy this "our record in London" nonsense.  What relevance does London have to each of the 26 matches we have played and won once in ?Some genuine statistics to take notice of are Charltons Home record, and our Away record.They have a 13 6 2 40 21 home recordwe have a 10 5 6 37 25 away recordLooking at those records and going by goals scored I''d say a 2-1 home win or a 2-2 draw are likely outcomes.  I''d be happy to take a draw. With all that said, Colchester were unbeaten at home before we beat them 5-0.  Who can say what will happen.

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[/quote]

I''m sorry Zip, I don''t buy this "our record in London" nonsense.  What relevance does London have to each of the 26 matches we have played and won once in ?

Some genuine statistics to take notice of are Charltons Home record, and our Away record.

They have a 13 6 2 40 21 home record

we have a 10 5 6 37 25 away record

Looking at those records and going by goals scored I''d say a 2-1 home win or a 2-2 draw are likely outcomes.  I''d be happy to take a draw. With all that said, Colchester were unbeaten at home before we beat them 5-0.  Who can say what will happen.

[/quote]

Just my view on the game - in my waters and a fixture whether in a good mediocre or bad run that I was not looking forward to this year - same as playing Palace in my eyes.    

The team is good enough to win,  and is definitely the better side,  but some teams are bogeys...

I will blame this one on my pessimistic mum ;-)

Nope, 3 points would do me nicely. I''d rather we go for it, take the game to Charlton and have a chance of gaining 2 points (from the starting 1), than just lose 1 point. We''re top of the league for 1 reason, and that is that we are the best team in this league. Why should we be affraid of a team in 5th place?

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[/quote]

I''m sorry Zip, I don''t buy this "our record in London" nonsense.  What relevance does London have to each of the 26 matches we have played and won once in ?

Some genuine statistics to take notice of are Charltons Home record, and our Away record.

They have a 13 6 2 40 21 home record

we have a 10 5 6 37 25 away record

Looking at those records and going by goals scored I''d say a 2-1 home win or a 2-2 draw are likely outcomes.  I''d be happy to take a draw. With all that said, Colchester were unbeaten at home before we beat them 5-0.  Who can say what will happen.

[/quote]

Leeds won at Col U in September.

Huddersfield were unbeaten at home until we went there though.

[quote user="Canary Wharf Canary"][quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[/quote]I''m sorry Zip, I don''t buy this "our record in London" nonsense.  What relevance does London have to each of the 26 matches we have played and won once in ?Some genuine statistics to take notice of are Charltons Home record, and our Away record.They have a 13 6 2 40 21 home recordwe have a 10 5 6 37 25 away recordLooking at those records and going by goals scored I''d say a 2-1 home win or a 2-2 draw are likely outcomes.  I''d be happy to take a draw. With all that said, Colchester were unbeaten at home before we beat them 5-0.  Who can say what will happen.[/quote]

Leeds won at Col U in September.

Huddersfield were unbeaten at home until we went there though.

[/quote]My bad, CWC ! [:)]