Sign in to follow this  
Bovril

Russell Martin not good enough..spillane in

I''d certainly agree that R Martin is looking far from solid at Right Back, just dont think now is the time to start making changes to a back four that has served us very well this season. Next season is the time for Spillane.

He is solid enough I suppose at this level but looked awful against the mighty Orient.

We need both full backs to be bombing forward with the diamond though and I dont think he is that good going forward, therefore I would bring Spillane back for some fresh impetus.

[quote user="The Lord"]completely fell asleep and lost markers for both goals, get spillane in
[/quote]

For the first goal Thornton was being marked by Smith and yes - Smith completely lost him.  Martin, if you are being hyper critical,  could have seen some danger and tracked across.

For the second thorntons run should have been covered by Martin yes.  However the ball should never have reached thornton had Nelson done what he has been doiing all season and deal with an easy aerial ball.  For whatever reason he left it.

Spillane any better?  Maybe - but there is not so much in it

I really don''t understand why we (or at least some of us) have started to turn on Russell Martin.

In general haven''t we done really well since he joined? He''s been very much apart of the side that got us to the top of the league and went on that brilliant run through the middle of the season.

He also played well last weekend against MK Dons.

Even if he has suffered a dip in form in a couple of games recently isn''t it better to get behind a player who us proven he can do well for us this season rather than wishing to get him out of the team as soon as possible?

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[quote user="The Lord"]completely fell asleep and lost markers for both goals, get spillane in[/quote]

For the first goal Thornton was being marked by Smith and yes - Smith completely lost him.  Martin, if you are being hyper critical,  could have seen some danger and tracked across.

For the second thorntons run should have been covered by Martin yes.  However the ball should never have reached thornton had Nelson done what he has been doiing all season and deal with an easy aerial ball.  For whatever reason he left it.

[/quote]Whilst I agree at smith initially losing him, as soon as he sees his centreback (doc) follow the other player, as a fullback who can see right across the box you don''t just let the player run through and think ''ah well, it wasn''t me that was suppose to be marking him'', you read the danger as it happens and for me he simply doesn''t read the game well enough...

Also for that shot by Daniels i think it was in the 2nd half when Forster saved it, Martin just let him come inside him completely unchallenged and just stopped looking at him, he''s a joke, and offers nothing going forward either. Spillane in.

[quote user="ncfc90"]Also for that shot by Daniels i think it was in the 2nd half when Forster saved it,Martin just let him come inside him completely unchallenged and just stopped looking at him, he''s a joke, and offers nothing going forward either. Spillane in.[/quote]To be honest i thought he was pretty good until the Stockport game. Saw a few limitations there. To say that he has problems going forward though is a touch inaccurate. To me he seems to have a decent cross on him and have seen on a few occasions when he has linked play well this year. Almost scored that memorable goal at Millwall too ... clutching at straws, maybe, but i really think that Spillane would be a huge risk for such an important game.Against Gillingham though, Bring Mickey in [;)]

Spilliane was looking handy up until the injury. Never rated Russell Martin. I could tell he was dodgy during the home game against Huddersfield, poor positioning looked as if he wanted to be Centrel Defender in the first half, also the way he constantly spouts midden to press is annoying too.

I personally have never liked R.Martin and think he is an all round shakey defender.  However he is good going forward and we must give him that.  I know a Peterbrough fan and he said that he was lost in the Championship.  I think we should stick with R.Martin untill the end of the season though but I think next season Spillane will be in.  I think the most of the team will change next season to be honest.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[quote user="The Lord"]completely fell asleep and lost markers for both goals, get spillane in
[/quote]

[/quote]

This is spot on ZLF.

How many matches has Spillane actually played at right back? Maybe 2?

Well of course he played against Orient and Bristol at home... also, from memory, he played in that position against Yeovil, Brentford twice, Exeter, and he may have played some of the Gillingham game there too.

Russell Martin has been far from convincing of late and Spillane did look decent in his 2 appearances at right back earlier in the season but people have to consider it was just 2 games and we completely dominated those games so a full back was hardly going to be under any sort of pressure.

I said in another post that by not playing Spillane has profited, he cannot be criticized and he is only remebered for his great goal against Orient. I agree that Russell Martin is quite poor defensively and Spillane should get a run, but is he really the answer?

Martin is ok at right back (remember Semmy?) Either Martin or Spillane can play at centre half freeing up the Ginger Pele to play up front! We are desperate aren''t we?

[quote user="GJP"]

I really don''t understand why we (or at least some of us) have started to turn on Russell Martin.

In general haven''t we done really well since he joined? He''s been very much apart of the side that got us to the top of the league and went on that brilliant run through the middle of the season.

Even if he has suffered a dip in form in a couple of games recently isn''t it better to get behind a player who us proven he can do well for us this season rather than wishing to get him out of the team as soon as possible?

[/quote]I really can not see why anyone thinks Russell Martin played well against the Dons! What on earth was he doing at the corner heading on to the Dons player and not being in his right back position. All the meaningful Dons attacks came down his wing time after time . Spillane should be in straight away

[quote user="CJ"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

I really can not see why anyone thinks Russell Martin played well against the Dons! What on earth was he doing at the corner heading on to the Dons player and not being in his right back position. All the meaningful Dons attacks came down his wing time after time . Spillane should be in straight away
[/quote]

Well, I think it was obvious he played well against MKD. Especially when you consider how little McNamee was doing infront of him, defensively or going forward. I assumed you noticed that, didn''t you?

Not only did he keep doing his job defensively he also put 2 great balls into the box, one of which Grant Holt should have converted.

As for the goal....where was the goalkeeper? He was by far the most at fault in that situation.

Spillane is no way near as good as Russell Martin but, unfortunately, I think a lot of you are going to have to find that out the hard way....(assuming the manager makes him a regular fixture in the team, which I very much doubt he will and if he doesn''t then we''ll know he wasn''t up to it anyway).