Sign in to follow this  
Tangible Fixed Assets anyone?

Doc to play as a target man at Charlton.

How many more posts on this. Whitbread according to Lambert will not be playing again this season

Doherty returned in place of Zak Whitbread, who seems unlikely to play again this season.

“I''ve got to watch because he''s been out for 10 months, which is a long time,” said Lambert. “We can''t rush him back and him being fit is when he comes back in pre-season. Gary came in and was excellent.”

Too immobile and will just give everyone else an an excuse to hoof the ball up the pitch. I''d give Johnson another chance keep Cody on standby, ditch the diamond and stick Hughes in the midfield.

If Whitbread is out, then it is simply not a goer. Spillane I am not convinced is strong enough to play centre back and I could see him getting bullied. Think he a classy full back though.

[quote user="Good Touch For A Big Man"]If Whitbread is out, then it is simply not a goer. Spillane I am not convinced is strong enough to play centre back and I could see him getting bullied. Think he a classy full back though.[/quote]

I was thinking of Spillane at right back.

[quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone?"]With Whitbread and Spillane coming into the back row?

That would be suicidal especially since Whitbread has not been very good when hes played!

My god are people getting carried away just cause we''ve lost a couple of recent games!

If we cut out the odd defensive error, get the ball on the floor on a decent pitch and have a decent ref then we''ll be OK. Making big team changes now would only complicate things!

The only change I''d make would be to drop Elliot and replace him with Hughes or Hoolahan if fit in a 442!

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"][quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone?"] My god are people getting carried away just cause we''ve lost a couple of recent games! If we cut out the odd defensive error, get the ball on the floor on a decent pitch and have a decent ref then we''ll be OK. Making big team changes now would only complicate things! The only change I''d make would be to drop Elliot and replace him with Hughes or Hoolahan if fit in a 442![/quote]

Actually the comment re Doc is based on seeing him play upfront during the Orient game.

It''s the question mark in your name.  It doesn''t like punctuation (just like most posters on here actually).  Remove it.  Please, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD REMOVE IT!

Stick with the Doc at the back but if we need to change it with half an hour or so to go then sling him upfront and bring Spillane on at the back.

Or just go 3 at the back and try to get Charlton on the ropes enough to rough them up and get the job done.

Didn''t one of our previous managers try this?Whatever happened to him, seemed such a nice chap.

Oh and how about we play nice, slick passing football on the green stuff rather than require a target man?Just a thought like.

why can''t we play it simple? instead of hoof it high and long........ play it on the floor because we do have quick strikers but no height while holts out.use the 4-4-2 and ditch the diamond.........i reckon we could get a result that way!

[quote user="morty"]Oh and how about we play nice, slick passing football on the green stuff rather than require a target man?

Just a thought like.

[/quote]

But when you see the ball get HOOF''d up the pitch at Orient you appreciate the need for a target man to hold the ball in the opponents half

rather than see our defence under pressure.

[quote user="cosmos67"]why can''t we play it simple? instead of hoof it high and long........ play it on the floor because we do have quick strikers but no height while holts out.use the 4-4-2 and ditch the diamond.........i reckon we could get a result that way![/quote]

like the result that we didnt get at Orient.

We are always going to miss Holt''s physical presence up front, but that doesnt mean Doherty is going to be a better option than Johnson or Cody simply because hes taller and stronger. We have two much better strikers than doherty, if we are missing the target man the team needs to try and adapt rather than putting a defender up front.

[quote user="Northern Canary"]We are always going to miss Holt''s physical presence up front, but that doesnt mean Doherty is going to be a better option than Johnson or Cody simply because hes taller and stronger. We have two much better strikers than doherty, if we are missing the target man the team needs to try and adapt rather than putting a defender up front.[/quote]

When Doc was moved up front in the second half at Orient it was interesting to see him win the ball and try to direct to his fellow striker.

Dont forget Doc has played up front in his early days.

You may have expected adaptation at Orient given no Holt but the ball was still HOOF''d up front at times.

Doherty is not exactly Mr. Twinkle toes so his contributions up front are confined to his nuisance value and his heading ability. We get this anyhow at set pieces and he''s come up with a few goals. 

Yes, he also played as a front man at Spurs, but apparently after a serious injury he lost some mobility and hence became recognised only as a central defender with the ability to come forward when the game dictated ie at corners.

Leave hm where he is. Why did we acquire Elliot and Johnson and hang onto Cody only to adopt make-shift tactics? 

[quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]With Whitbread and Spillane coming in[/quote]

Are you saying doc presence at the back is the equivalent of the combined efforts of spillane and whitbread!?!?

Not sure we can field 12 players though. 

[quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]

[quote user="morty"]Oh and how about we play nice, slick passing football on the green stuff rather than require a target man?Just a thought like.

[/quote]

But when you see the ball get HOOF''d up the pitch at Orient you appreciate the need for a target man to hold the ball in the opponents half

[/quote]Thats not the sort of football we play, not ever, unless we are playing so badly its desperation stakes.If the change has to be made during the game tactically - fine.But setting your stall out to play hoofball? Not my team, sorry.

Even with Holt in the side we dont play our best football by hoofing. Its up to Lambert to get them playing the ball, either way im still sure that a front two of Martin/Johnson is more likely to score than Martin/Doherty.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]

[quote user="morty"]Oh and how about we play nice, slick passing football on the green stuff rather than require a target man?

Just a thought like.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thats not the sort of football we play, not ever, unless we are playing so badly its desperation stakes.

If the change has to be made during the game tactically - fine.

But setting your stall out to play hoofball? Not my team, sorry.
[/quote]

Hoof  ball wasnt what happened in desparation at Orient it was the way we played from the start. It was sad to see Oli and Martin reduced to jumping for the same hoofed ball in the middle of the pitch. Make no mistake this is as it was from the very start. Not only were indevidual performances poor on Tuesday but  tactically we were poor too.