Sign in to follow this  
Canaries Utd

Leyton Orient Stadium

Please don''t shoot me down if this has ben mentioned.Firstly, well done to all Norwich fans last night, the team had an off night, and Leyton Orient fully deserved the victory, always half a yard quicker than us, but as usual, we (the fans) kept our chins up, and i for one (except result) had a top day out.Ok, point of post... what a strange little set up the Leyton Orient ground is, to my right there was a couple of kids with their noses pushed against a patio window, i guess there lounge? any one else see this?  I suppose the four corners of the ground were private dwelling flats??? And the stand in front of us was weird too, obviously there were some suits from nowich on the far right hand side, but a strange balcony arrangment, was anyone in there? And i take it the score board was above us???

[quote user="Smudger"]I don''t believe that they had a scoreboard mate?[/quote]Really Smudger? This is surely a first, i don''t think i''ve ever been to a football league club without a scoreboard before? Anyone no of one without one in football league?

[quote user="Canaries Utd"][quote user="Smudger"]I don''t believe that they had a scoreboard mate?[/quote]Really Smudger? This is surely a first, i don''t think i''ve ever been to a football league club without a scoreboard before? Anyone no of one without one in football league?[/quote]Millwall have a big screen but it doesn''t show the scores. But i''m sure there are plenty in league 2...

Thought the ground was a bit unorthodox but quite liked it actually.There was certainly a decent atmosphere from their fans as well as ours,considering there was only about 7500 odd there.I  can never see the point of a scoreboard apart from showing scores of other games.Surely there can''t be too many people attending a game who would forget what the score was?

[quote user="Canaries Utd"][quote user="Smudger"]I don''t believe that they had a scoreboard mate?[/quote]Really Smudger? This is surely a first, i don''t think i''ve ever been to a football league club without a scoreboard before? Anyone no of one without one in football league?[/quote]Not one hundred percent sure hence the question mark mate.  But I am pretty sure there was no scoreboard even above our heads in the away end.  Maybe our friend "Slade" from Leyton Orient can confirm for us?

[quote user="A Change is Gonna Come"]Thought the ground was a bit unorthodox but quite liked it actually.There was certainly a decent atmosphere from their fans as well as ours,considering there was only about 7500 odd there.I  can never see the point of a scoreboard apart from showing scores of other games.Surely there can''t be too many people attending a game who would forget what the score was?[/quote]I think "Smith must score" had drunk so much last night that he may have thought it was 1972 again, let alone what the score was??? [:^)]

[quote user="A Change is Gonna Come"]Thought the ground was a bit unorthodox but quite liked it actually.There was certainly a decent atmosphere from their fans as well as ours,considering there was only about 7500 odd there.I  can never see the point of a scoreboard apart from showing scores of other games.Surely there can''t be too many people attending a game who would forget what the score was?[/quote]Fair point, but its also nice to see a clock/count down timer for the match.

Were you on the 16:00 out of Norwich Smudger?. I quite liked the Orient ground, I got the impression the top area of the stand opposite was a gym. I am convinced there was somebody in a Norwich shirt watching the game from the balcony of the top floor flats, in the corner opposite and to the left (as you look at it) from the stand we were in, anybody else see this?

there are indeed flats in all 4 corners of Brisbane road.. you could probably make a few quid hiring out your living room to an O''s fan for a season!

I was pondering through the hoofball-tastic second half, if you lived in one of those flats, would you be able to stand on your balcony and drink alcohol while watching the game? As we well know from stadium announcements, "it contravenes the ground safety regulations to drink alcohol in view of the pitch" I suspect maybe it''s whether the flats count as part of the stadium or private property?

[quote user="s10_yellow"]I was pondering through the hoofball-tastic second half, if you lived in one of those flats, would you be able to stand on your balcony and drink alcohol while watching the game? As we well know from stadium announcements, "it contravenes the ground safety regulations to drink alcohol in view of the pitch" I suspect maybe it''s whether the flats count as part of the stadium or private property?[/quote]wow... you really were let down by the game, interesting point though, surely no-one could stop you having a drink in your own premises?

[quote user="Smudger"]I don''t believe that they had a scoreboard mate?[/quote]I can remember when we didn''t have a scoreboard at CR, then later we had just the one above the old Barclay End. They used to have two old boys walk round the perimeter of the pitch with a board with numbers hanging off it for the score and the time of the goal. Of course, my mate & I were pissing ourslves with laughter when we won 8-0 against Sutton United as the board was out of date before they''d even done one edge of the pitch. I don''t think they stopped walking for all that match!!

[quote user="Canaries Utd"][quote user="s10_yellow"]I was pondering through the hoofball-tastic second half, if you lived in one of those flats, would you be able to stand on your balcony and drink alcohol while watching the game? As we well know from stadium announcements, "it contravenes the ground safety regulations to drink alcohol in view of the pitch" I suspect maybe it''s whether the flats count as part of the stadium or private property?[/quote]wow... you really were let down by the game, interesting point though, surely no-one could stop you having a drink in your own premises?[/quote]That was for colour, to be honest I spent the second half standing on my seat shouting desperate encouragement every time we hoofed it over the halfway line, only for my pleas to fade into the East London night...though I was surprised there weren''t more people on their balconies watching. Why would you buy/rent a (probably not cheap) flat overlooking a football stadium and not watch the match?

Haha I thought that s10_yellow. There was one of the rooms to the left of our stand where the people were having what seemed like a dinner party with no-one watching the game. I couldn''t help but think "What''s the draw of living above a noisy football ground and not watching the game?

As an aside, was talking to an Orient fan before the game who, although he didn''t much like Barry Hearn, was impressed by the fact that he got £7.5m for the four corners of the ground for the flats.  Bet we never make that much on the lego hotel!

[quote user="CallsignViper"]Haha I thought that s10_yellow. There was one of the rooms to the left of our stand where the people were having what seemed like a dinner party with no-one watching the game. I couldn''t help but think "What''s the draw of living above a noisy football ground and not watching the game?[/quote]At one point they seemed to be joining in with our songs!

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="A Change is Gonna Come"]Thought the ground was a bit unorthodox but quite liked it actually.There was certainly a decent atmosphere from their fans as well as ours,considering there was only about 7500 odd there.I  can never see the point of a scoreboard apart from showing scores of other games.Surely there can''t be too many people attending a game who would forget what the score was?[/quote]I think "Smith must score" had drunk so much last night that he may have thought it was 1972 again, let alone what the score was??? [:^)][/quote]What an outrageous slur on my good name, you bounder !!I''ll have you know that there must have been people who thought they were back in flares and platforms as the Orient fans were singing Chickory Tip''s 1972 hit, '' Son Of My Father'' during the game. As to not knowing the score I can tell you now that the score is irrelevant as I can clearly remember the match being abandoned after 90 mins.And I''ll have you know you''ll be hearing from my lawyers regarding this wholly unjustified attack on my integrity and staining of my good character.I''ll shall be calling the Tilson and Blake triplets who were there last night as character witnesses at the High Court hearing......

Neat and tidy stadium, much changed from the 70''s when I last visited, but was not used to having to cope with such a big away following!

I heard of people who wished to meet up with mates in the other areas of the stand who were told they could do so but would have to climb over the wooden seperators to do so instead of simply the stewards opening the gates and letting them go through!

I found it astonishing that some of the stands exits were not open and fans were having to walk through rows of seats to get out at the next exit that was open!

[quote user="Lord Horn"]As an aside, was talking to an Orient fan before the game who, although he didn''t much like Barry Hearn, was impressed by the fact that he got £7.5m for the four corners of the ground for the flats.  Bet we never make that much on the lego hotel!
[/quote]

yeah but our ground isn''t in london you numpty!

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]Were you on the 16:00 out of Norwich Smudger?. I quite liked the Orient ground, I got the impression the top area of the stand opposite was a gym. I am convinced there was somebody in a Norwich shirt watching the game from the balcony of the top floor flats, in the corner opposite and to the left (as you look at it) from the stand we were in, anybody else see this?[/quote]No we went via car to Redbridge and on the tube from there mate.I quite liked the ground too.  Very tidy for a club of their size and I thought the stand that we were in was a real old beauty!

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="A Change is Gonna Come"]Thought the ground was a bit unorthodox but quite liked it actually.There was certainly a decent atmosphere from their fans as well as ours,considering there was only about 7500 odd there.I  can never see the point of a scoreboard apart from showing scores of other games.Surely there can''t be too many people attending a game who would forget what the score was?[/quote]I think "Smith must score" had drunk so much last night that he may have thought it was 1972 again, let alone what the score was??? [:^)][/quote]What an outrageous slur on my good name, you bounder !!I''ll have you know that there must have been people who thought they were back in flares and platforms as the Orient fans were singing Chickory Tip''s 1972 hit, '' Son Of My Father'' during the game. As to not knowing the score I can tell you now that the score is irrelevant as I can clearly remember the match being abandoned after 90 mins.And I''ll have you know you''ll be hearing from my lawyers regarding this wholly unjustified attack on my integrity and staining of my good character.I''ll shall be calling the Tilson and Blake triplets who were there last night as character witnesses at the High Court hearing......[/quote]haha brilliant mate... here have another... [B]Just the odd one or two per day in order to keep you topped up for Saturday.  A similar performance to the other night at the Valley and I think we all might be in search of something a little stronger???

There is no scoreboard at BR. I have always wanted one, but my fellow Orientears feel it is tacky. I think it''s informative!

Pleased to know you like the ground. There isnt a gym above the seats in the main stand, they are the club offices and also more office space rented out by Mr Hearn. An NHS clinic is in the main stand too!

Even though three of the stands are breezeblock, cos of the corners being filled in, a top atmosphere can be created, demonstrated by Tuesday when the atmoshpere from both sets of fans was electric.

Pleased to see someone liking the stand you sat/stood in, which has been standing since the fifties, and used to be our old main stand. I sat there for 10 years before moving across, it is a wonderful stand, which from next year onwards is gonna house only away fans, much to the chagrin of our fans (usually the stand is split 5050 between away and home, but big followings obviously get the whole stand). It has has a wonderful gable on the top with "Leyton Orient" proudly emblazoned on the roof, but none of you saw that unless you were sat in the home ends.

Slade - What is in the area at the very top of the stand opposite us?, it looked to be a big open space, all done out in white. Thought you deserved to win and I hope you survive the drop. I bet the police wish all big away supports were as well behaved as us!!

that would be the media area, where all the journos and the cameramen are housed. the PA booth is next to that. but it''s such an ugly stand it really is.

yes, you were very well behaved, and nice. very impressed.

[quote user="The Saturday Boy"]

[quote user="Lord Horn"]As an aside, was talking to an Orient fan before the game who, although he didn''t much like Barry Hearn, was impressed by the fact that he got £7.5m for the four corners of the ground for the flats.  Bet we never make that much on the lego hotel!
[/quote]

yeah but our ground isn''t in london you numpty!

[/quote]

Well aware of that having been involved in the development industry for at least the last 30 years.  I won''t resort to trading insults but am sure we could have got greater long term financial benefits from increasing the seating capacity of the ground in the corner.  If you want to insult people try WACCOE! [:D]

[quote user="Canaries Utd"][quote user="Smudger"]I don''t believe that they had a scoreboard mate?
[/quote]
Really Smudger? This is surely a first, i don''t think i''ve ever been to a football league club without a scoreboard before? Anyone no of one without one in football league?
[/quote]

I can''t remember seeing one at Hartlepool.

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="A Change is Gonna Come"]Thought the ground was a bit unorthodox but quite liked it actually.There was certainly a decent atmosphere from their fans as well as ours,considering there was only about 7500 odd there.

I  can never see the point of a scoreboard apart from showing scores of other games.Surely there can''t be too many people attending a game who would forget what the score was?
[/quote]

I think "Smith must score" had drunk so much last night that he may have thought it was 1972 again, let alone what the score was??? [:^)]
[/quote]

Hey Smudger....you seemed a bit merry!