Sign in to follow this  
Rudolph Hucker

INTO THE VALLEY!

So, here we go again to the Canary graveyard of Greater London. I was going to say South London but it appears that if the area is circled by the M25 Canaries don''t do well there.

For the first time in a long time the general mood of our supporters is realistic...and we expect nothing.

I expect something though; I expect hard work, fight and passion. I DO NOT expect a ''no show'' or a ''never got going'' and I expect a number of players hoping to call themselves Championship players prove it in the absence of two of their colleagues who actually could cut it in the league above.

I expect to lose by no more than the odd goal because our goal difference is important and that is the minimum I expect because any side in this league is capable of doing that at anyone else''s ground.

I expect Lambert to take the attitude that we cannot afford to chase another game. This is why our players look so exhausted. If certain goals had gone in, in all of our last three games the nature of the match would have been very different.

I know PL likes to attack but without Holt defending from the front we are disjointed between midfield and defence and resort to hopeless long balls.

I would like to see the same defence but with Russell upping his game. Russell is a senior player and needs to step into the breach.

I want to see Smith and Hughes in the centre with Lappin on the left and Martin on the right.

Elliot can run around up front and be replaced by Oli as and when. Basically, I want to see us set up to defend with a bench containing Oli, Cody and Tony Mac.

I want our players to get stuck in, mark tight, compete and restrict. I would love a nil - nil but would hope for us to score and if that also means picking up a draw, then great.

Charlton actually have to win this game more than us, and that is the problem....so did Orient. It comes down to making our players realise they need to win it more as leeds players did when they dropped out of the top two.

I have too often seen Norwich relegated or almost relegated on the basis of complacency that turns to timidity and then to a slump.

I expect one win will do it for our promotion and a draw Saturday will set us up for that win against Gillingham but so would a performance.

Another poor display and our players build their own doubts although the horse will at least be available again. Last time he had a break he struggled to get going again but his prescence itself helps to galvanise us.

This is Lambert''s biggest test and one he will face regularly in The Championship. The performance though is at least as important as the result and we are entitled to expect no less.

As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death
I take a look at my life and realize there''s not much left
coz I''ve been blastin and laughin so long, that
even my mama thinks that my mind is gone

[quote user="Woman in the Stands WITS"][quote user="pennywise "]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9udxbvHiqGw ahoy ahoy   [:D][/quote]It''s one of the songs I omitted to include in my musically themed blog the other week - great to hear it again![/quote]You have been there before, do they play that at Charlton before games?If they don''t then they really should!

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Woman in the Stands WITS"][quote user="pennywise "]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9udxbvHiqGw ahoy ahoy   [:D][/quote]It''s one of the songs I omitted to include in my musically themed blog the other week - great to hear it again![/quote]You have been there before, do they play that at Charlton before games?If they don''t then they really should![/quote]Here''s the evidence you need [:)]  http://www.footballgroundguide.com/charlton_athletic/#What%20Is%20It%20Like%20For%20Visiting%20Supporters?

[quote user="Woman in the Stands WITS"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Woman in the Stands WITS"][quote user="pennywise "]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9udxbvHiqGw ahoy ahoy   [:D][/quote]It''s one of the songs I omitted to include in my musically themed blog the other week - great to hear it again![/quote]You have been there before, do they play that at Charlton before games?If they don''t then they really should![/quote]Here''s the evidence you need [:)]  http://www.footballgroundguide.com/charlton_athletic/#What%20Is%20It%20Like%20For%20Visiting%20Supporters?[/quote]Cool.[:)]

Half a league half a league,

Half a league onward,

All in the valley of Death

Rode the six hundred:

''Forward, the Light Brigade!

Charge for the guns'' he said:

Into the valley of Death

Rode the six hundred.

''Forward, the Light Brigade!''

Was there a man dismay''d ?

Not tho'' the soldier knew

Some one had blunder''d:

Theirs not to make reply,

Theirs not to reason why,

Theirs but to do & die,

Into the valley of Death

Rode the six hundred.

Cannon to right of them,

Cannon to left of them,

Cannon in front of them

Volley''d & thunder''d;

Storm''d at with shot and shell,

Boldly they rode and well,

Into the jaws of Death,

Into the mouth of Hell

Rode the six hundred.

Flash''d all their sabres bare,

Flash''d as they turn''d in air

Sabring the gunners there,

Charging an army while

All the world wonder''d:

Plunged in the battery-smoke

Right thro'' the line they broke;

Cossack & Russian

Reel''d from the sabre-stroke,

Shatter''d & sunder''d.

Then they rode back, but not

Not the six hundred.

Cannon to right of them,

Cannon to left of them,

Cannon behind them

Volley''d and thunder''d;

Storm''d at with shot and shell,

While horse & hero fell,

They that had fought so well

Came thro'' the jaws of Death,

Back from the mouth of Hell,

All that was left of them,

Left of six hundred.

When can their glory fade?

O the wild charge they made!

All the world wonder''d.

Honour the charge they made!

Honour the Light Brigade,

Noble six hundred!

I think Lambert has a real quandry.

We have got where we are because we have won a few games the others have drawn.

We have lost more than some and let in more goals too. But, we attacked and gambled and that made the difference.

Will he change it now to keep it tight as Holt is out. That is his quandry.

[quote user="Essex canary"]

[quote user="Houston Canary"]The Skids![/quote]

blimey. I would have put money on being the only one to know THAT one!!!

Respect sir.

[/quote]

Why?

[quote user="Mustachio Furioso"][quote user="Essex canary"]

[quote user="Houston Canary"]The Skids![/quote]

blimey. I would have put money on being the only one to know THAT one!!!

Respect sir.

[/quote]

Why?

[/quote]Because he''s 12? EC there''s probably 1000s of us who remember the Skids and I would suggest some more remember this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAsmf1LGcpA. Hard to read but still makes me laugh. Not forgetting this one too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxELSzay2lc&feature=related

I''m worried for the same reason you are Rudolph. As you say, Lambert has to decide whether or not to gamble on all out attack. Whether that''s mid game or from the off. It has worked so far because we have been playing with flair and confidence.

But when confidence turns to doubt, going all out attack can just turn in to gung-ho carelessness. So the question is, has the confidence gone, it it turning to doubt? Can we get it back? At the Valley?

The alternative to gambling on attack is to shut up shop. Which inevitably leads to the players going in to their shells, making mistakes and lumping it long.

Leeds will be loving this because much as it pains me to say, we are starting to follow EXACTLY the same path they did. Lambert says it''s not complacency, but i''m sorry Paul, it is. I don''t mean the team begun to give it the billy, saying it''s all done. What i do mean is that in the players minds, they reached the point where deep down, they started to believe the job was done. And Tranmere, where they will have least expected it, stuck a spanner in, planted the seed of doubt and now it''s germinating.

The question is can we veer off the path that Leeds were on? In their case, Grayson chose to do pretty much nothing and hope the team could play its way through it. If he''d have dropped Beckford 2 months ago or even sold him in Jan they would be in a stronger position. I''d like to think Lambert would react differently and get us back on track sooner that Grayson has with Leeds.

Lets see. As i said on another thread, this is where he really earns his money.

Essex, Mustachio, I was visiting my grandparents in the summer of 79 so I remember the tune from then. I had a friend make me a tape of some songs I liked and it was one of thems. I have since added it to a mix CD I play at work.