Sign in to follow this  
NavMan

Medals

I know this is not directly linked with Norwich City but I was wondering what my current Pink Un Message Board colleagues thought on this idea of Managers playing under strength teams for cup games.  The reason I ask is because I was always under the impression that players were in the game to win medals be it in whatever competition and the thought of playing in a final at say the new Wembley or Cardiff was what drove players on and is ultimately their ultimate goal.  I wonder how therefore players think when their managers (like Arsenal and Liverpool tonight) play under strength teams in the Quarter Final of a cup competition in what they would have a very good chance of getting through to the semi final if they had played a full strength side.  Come to think of it what do their fans think as is this denying them the chance of seeing their beloved team win something. 

I know in this day and age all these big clubs can think of is the European Competitions but when you think how often a British club (other than Man U) actually goes on to win it you would think that the managers would have the forethought of trying to win other competitions.  After all is this not what the sport is all about.  Years ago this did not happen.  You would get full strength teams play the likes of Yeovil in the 3rd round of the FA Cup but today this is unheard of.  I know as a player I would feel short changed if a chance of a medal was taken away from me and surely supporters of these clubs getting as far as the Qurarter Finals must feel really hard done by paying their money knowing that the full team is not playing and a chance of progress is not being taken.  After all there is nothing better for a supporter than having the commerorative DVD is there as we have recently benefitted from.

I think they should do away with the Carling cup completely, its a waste of time, just give the extra UEFA cup spot to the next highest team in the league.

It is a tricky one NavMan.  In some ways I agree with Worthy Nigelton.  The Carling Cup is a bit of a farce for me.  Look at Man Utd V Arsenal last night.  It was a joke!  I think clubs should be asked if they want to take part in the competition BUT told that they have to field a strong team.

I''m pleased that the likes of Moan U and Arsenal field weaker teams.it gives the others a bit more of a chance although I suspect most sides would struggle against those ''reserves''.what I find dispappointing is when these teams get within touching distance they abandon the youngsters and bring the big guns in.as for scrapping the Carling Cup. Why not scrap the fa cup too? Its just another knockout comp albeit 80 years older. No keep them both, it gives 89 teams a chance of winning something.

Wouldn''t it have been funny last night, if after Man Utd had made their substitutions and brought on more youngsters as they were winning, then Wenger turned round and brought on Henry, Reyes and Bergkamp for example. Would have loved to have seen the look on Fergies face!