Sign in to follow this  
Smudger

Lambert needs to dump the duds...

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="morty"]Now we have lost are you going to stop going to matches again Smudger?[;)][/quote]No afraid not... If you let me know where you are I can give you a wave next season? [:P]

[/quote]Upper Barclay block B Row D.I shall give you a wave.Snake pit isn''t it?[/quote]Next season yes - unless something comes up more attractive in the lower Barclay somewhere... and before you ask, I''m not talking about the fairer sex Morty!

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="morty"]Go on then Smudger, astound us, who would we bring in for all these players we drop then?
[/quote]

Now then Morty,Smudger does not have to justify himself to the likes of you as you should well know by know.Oh wise one who i was very near last night just abused Lappin constantly and then grinned at everybody around him as though it was clever and then had the nerve to try and say that Macnamee''s cross that somehow grazed the far post was a stroke of genius and something that Lappin could never do.I hope he was not trying to say that Lappin and Macnamee play identical roles.

Stilll us mere mortals who have no knowledge of the game should bow to his superior understanding of all things football i suppose.

[/quote]

haha I hardly said a word against Lappin all night... more of that was coming from your NCISA committee member and my elder brother.

It really is posts like this and ego trips (with people wanting to be right) rather than what is right for NCFC which stand in the way of NCISA having a bigger impact from what I see Tilly and why despite being a member I have always wished to remain my own man.  I am sure that when enough of you agree on it you can all jump on the bandwagon and knock which ever player or manager you like - but not before time hey?

My criticism last night was not of the player himself, it was of our wonderful manager (who can do no wrong).  A manager who keeps picking a player (plus two or three other players) who are holding the team back from performing to their full potential.  These are calls that many with a decent knowledge of the game have been wanting to see for months and if Gunn, Roeder or Grant were to have looked as clueless as Lambert and his team did last night then they would all have been absolutely crucified on here for it. 

I didn''t have to slag Lappin off last night - Lambert finally pulling him off (not before time) and the fans reaction to McNamee when he came on spoke a lot louder than any one individual voice could.

Now I am sure that you will want to have the last word on this issue so I will not rise to any further bait.

I do believe that Lappin and one or two others are certainly living on borrowed time with regards to their future careers at Norwich City FC though.

I think
[/quote]

I don''t particularly want to have"the last word on this issue" but i see you have posted 6 times on this thread since you said this so it doesn''t look as though it is me who wants the last word hey Smudge!

Smudge you havent mentioned McNamee from last night who had 3 chances to cross, the first went straight out of play, the second went straight to the 1st defender and the third ( watch the replay ) when trying to cross was so bad it hit the post.

I do also feel our goalkeeper who has been magnificent all season was certainly at fault with the second goal. It is not often he is not commanding in the box but for the first half an hour he did look off the pace.

What you saw last night was the regular performance that we would have seen had Lambert not started playing the diamond.

You must remember ( I know this wasnt you Smudge ) that on here people had called for certain players to be put in the team Elliot, Johnson and leave out Hoolahan and Holt and Martin. Events conspired to make that possible last night so thats what you got. Whatever people think we do not have a world beating squad and take out 2 of our best players and thats what we get. Look at Man U people say football is not about 1 player, but without Rooney they are struggleing.  

[quote user="Lambert is King"]

Smudge you havent mentioned McNamee from last night who had 3 chances to cross, the first went straight out of play, the second went straight to the 1st defender and the third ( watch the replay ) when trying to cross was so bad it hit the post.

I do also feel our goalkeeper who has been magnificent all season was certainly at fault with the second goal. It is not often he is not commanding in the box but for the first half an hour he did look off the pace.

What you saw last night was the regular performance that we would have seen had Lambert not started playing the diamond.

You must remember ( I know this wasnt you Smudge ) that on here people had called for certain players to be put in the team Elliot, Johnson and leave out Hoolahan and Holt and Martin. Events conspired to make that possible last night so thats what you got. Whatever people think we do not have a world beating squad and take out 2 of our best players and thats what we get. Look at Man U people say football is not about 1 player, but without Rooney they are struggleing.  

[/quote]You mean the shot that hit the post?  Plus one or two other crosses that were put in which caused panic amongst Orient''s defence during the lhe last 10 mins or so?Compare that to the guy that he replaced whose balls in to the box came down with snow on them and were so easy to defend against it was untrue.From your comments it easy to see that you do not have the frist clue about how to deliver a dangerous ball in to the box from a wide area.I am not quite sure what you are getting at with the diamond quote, but that is what we played for 75 mins of last nights game.  I do agree that Oli is not up to starting games at present (I think he started at Walsall away and was not up to the grade there either).  I think given the options available we had to either start with Elliot alongside Martin upfront last night or go for packing the midfield out with 5 players and Martin upfront by himself.  I would have liked to have seen both McNamee and Hughes on from the start last night regardless of what formation we chose to play.

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="morty"]Go on then Smudger, astound us, who would we bring in for all these players we drop then?[/quote]

Now then Morty,Smudger does not have to justify himself to the likes of you as you should well know by know.Oh wise one who i was very near last night just abused Lappin constantly and then grinned at everybody around him as though it was clever and then had the nerve to try and say that Macnamee''s cross that somehow grazed the far post was a stroke of genius and something that Lappin could never do.I hope he was not trying to say that Lappin and Macnamee play identical roles.

Stilll us mere mortals who have no knowledge of the game should bow to his superior understanding of all things football i suppose.

[/quote]haha I hardly said a word against Lappin all night... more of that was coming from your NCISA committee member and my elder brother.It really is posts like this and ego trips (with people wanting to be right) rather than what is right for NCFC which stand in the way of NCISA having a bigger impact from what I see Tilly and why despite being a member I have always wished to remain my own man.  I am sure that when enough of you agree on it you can all jump on the bandwagon and knock which ever player or manager you like - but not before time hey?My criticism last night was not of the player himself, it was of our wonderful manager (who can do no wrong).  A manager who keeps picking a player (plus two or three other players) who are holding the team back from performing to their full potential.  These are calls that many with a decent knowledge of the game have been wanting to see for months and if Gunn, Roeder or Grant were to have looked as clueless as Lambert and his team did last night then they would all have been absolutely crucified on here for it.  I didn''t have to slag Lappin off last night - Lambert finally pulling him off (not before time) and the fans reaction to McNamee when he came on spoke a lot louder than any one individual voice could.Now I am sure that you will want to have the last word on this issue so I will not rise to any further bait.I do believe that Lappin and one or two others are certainly living on borrowed time with regards to their future careers at Norwich City FC though.I think [/quote]

I don''t particularly want to have"the last word on this issue" but i see you have posted 6 times on this thread since you said this so it doesn''t look as though it is me who wants the last word hey Smudge!

[/quote]Just answering other posters mate... oops I have bitten again... [:$]

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="morty"]Go on then Smudger, astound us, who would we bring in for all these players we drop then?
[/quote]

[/quote]

haha I hardly said a word against Lappin all night... more of that was coming from your NCISA committee member and my elder brother.

It really is posts like this and ego trips (with people wanting to be right) rather than what is right for NCFC which stand in the way of NCISA having a bigger impact from what I see Tilly and why despite being a member I have always wished to remain my own man.  I am sure that when enough of you agree on it you can all jump on the bandwagon and knock which ever player or manager you like - but not before time hey?

My criticism last night was not of the player himself, it was of our wonderful manager (who can do no wrong).  A manager who keeps picking a player (plus two or three other players) who are holding the team back from performing to their full potential.  These are calls that many with a decent knowledge of the game have been wanting to see for months and if Gunn, Roeder or Grant were to have looked as clueless as Lambert and his team did last night then they would all have been absolutely crucified on here for it. 

I didn''t have to slag Lappin off last night - Lambert finally pulling him off (not before time) and the fans reaction to McNamee when he came on spoke a lot louder than any one individual voice could.

Now I am sure that you will want to have the last word on this issue so I will not rise to any further bait.

I do believe that Lappin and one or two others are certainly living on borrowed time with regards to their future careers at Norwich City FC though.

I think
[/quote]

[/quote]

Just answering other posters mate... oops I have bitten again... [:$]
[/quote]

Jeeeezzus i have only just noticed that line about "i hardly said a word against Lappin all night".Are you for real mate,so who was that bellowing out every time he touched the ball and waving his arms around like a man landing a plane on an aircraft carrier?Who was that when Macnamee more by luck than judgement grazed the far post turned round and shouted to me "F**king Lappin can''t do that" (whilst still flapping his arms about)?.Sorry Smudger but you really do need some chill out tablets or a long fat cigarette when watching a game that your scottish mate is playing in.

I accept of course that you will not respond to this post if you are as good as your word......but then again.

I agree with Smudger on this - those that played well should be dropped, regardless of seasonal performances. Complacency has fallen and the teams needs a shake up.

But I believe Lambert has to cojounes to do it...

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Lambert is King"]

[/quote]

You mean the shot that hit the post?  Plus one or two other crosses that were put in which caused panic amongst Orient''s defence during the lhe last 10 mins or so?

Compare that to the guy that he replaced whose balls in to the box came down with snow on them and were so easy to defend against it was untrue.

From your comments it easy to see that you do not have the frist clue about how to deliver a dangerous ball in to the box from a wide area.

I am not quite sure what you are getting at with the diamond quote, but that is what we played for 75 mins of last nights game.  I do agree that Oli is not up to starting games at present (I think he started at Walsall away and was not up to the grade there either).  I think given the options available we had to either start with Elliot alongside Martin upfront last night or go for packing the midfield out with 5 players and Martin upfront by himself.  I would have liked to have seen both McNamee and Hughes on from the start last night regardless of what formation we chose to play.
[/quote]

Hi Smudge - we will agree to disagree on the shot / cross. What I was getting at with the players last night was through injury suspension we finished up with a lot of the players that people on here ( not you ) had been calling for to be included and into the diamond. I like you had seen Oli start at Walsall and did not think much of Elliot before last night. 

[quote user="Lambert is King"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Lambert is King"]

[/quote]

You mean the shot that hit the post?  Plus one or two other crosses that were put in which caused panic amongst Orient''s defence during the lhe last 10 mins or so?

Compare that to the guy that he replaced whose balls in to the box came down with snow on them and were so easy to defend against it was untrue.

From your comments it easy to see that you do not have the frist clue about how to deliver a dangerous ball in to the box from a wide area.

I am not quite sure what you are getting at with the diamond quote, but that is what we played for 75 mins of last nights game.  I do agree that Oli is not up to starting games at present (I think he started at Walsall away and was not up to the grade there either).  I think given the options available we had to either start with Elliot alongside Martin upfront last night or go for packing the midfield out with 5 players and Martin upfront by himself.  I would have liked to have seen both McNamee and Hughes on from the start last night regardless of what formation we chose to play.
[/quote]

Hi Smudge - we will agree to disagree on the shot / cross. What I was getting at with the players last night was through injury suspension we finished up with a lot of the players that people on here ( not you ) had been calling for to be included and into the diamond. I like you had seen Oli start at Walsall and did not think much of Elliot before last night. 

[/quote]

"From your comments it easy to see that you do not have the frist clue about how to deliver a dangerous ball in to the box from a wide area" Now Smudge do you really have to say such things to try to justify your case.Lambert is King may well know far more than you about the game believe it or not.No,forget i said that,silly me that is not possible is it?

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Graham Humphrey"]Wasn''t it Nelson who lost Thornton for the second goal?
[/quote]

Not really... from what I saw Doherty was marking absolutely nobody and swivelled on the spot in horror as the ball was lofted easily over his head and right in to the danger area... watch it again - it was pathetic defending by the Doc.
[/quote]

What game were you watching smudger, just watched goals on tv again and Nelson ducked under the cross when he could quite easily headed it away, get a grip.

[quote user="adycanary"]

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Graham Humphrey"]Wasn''t it Nelson who lost Thornton for the second goal?[/quote]Not really... from what I saw Doherty was marking absolutely nobody and swivelled on the spot in horror as the ball was lofted easily over his head and right in to the danger area... watch it again - it was pathetic defending by the Doc.[/quote]

What game were you watching smudger, just watched goals on tv again and Nelson ducked under the cross when he could quite easily headed it away, get a grip.

[/quote]At least he made an attempt to go somewhere near his runner... what was Doherty doing at the time?   Stood stationery, marking absolutely nobody and watching!

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="adycanary"]

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Graham Humphrey"]Wasn''t it Nelson who lost Thornton for the second goal?
[/quote]

Not really... from what I saw Doherty was marking absolutely nobody and swivelled on the spot in horror as the ball was lofted easily over his head and right in to the danger area... watch it again - it was pathetic defending by the Doc.
[/quote]

[/quote]

At least he made an attempt to go somewhere near his runner... what was Doherty doing at the time?   Stood stationery, marking absolutely nobody and watching!
[/quote]

You really have no clue at all do you, the ball went to back post where nelson was so it was his job to win ball, think its called marking different areas rather that standing holding hands in box, if the ball fell on near penalty spot i''m bloody sure doc would have headed it and not ducked under it, i''m not having a go at nelson as i think he''s played pretty well most games he''s been involved in but it was his fault for 2nd goal unless forster called for him to leave it in which case it was forsters fault, how can you blame doc.

[quote user="matt crowhurst"]yawnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnhow any one can suggest dropping any of the three after their performances over the last 6 months is beyond me.tonights result for me is down to one person and one person only because of his stupidity on Saturday............................Grant Holt. dont get me wrong Holt has been amazing this season but to pick up a yellow card for deliberate handball because he had lost his temper, in the last game before previous cards got wiped, is just pure crazziness and again, in my opinion, means he doesnt deserve the POS[/quote]

its the devil and angel how can you slate him with 30 goals to his name, but i have to agree his ability to make stupid decisions could cost us dearly!  Its a hard one to come out and say....... but to be fair i would take the 30 goals and his attitude every day of the week! lets hope he comes back for the last two games fired up!

[quote user="First Jedi"]I agree with Smudger on this - those that played well should be dropped, regardless of seasonal performances. Complacency has fallen and the teams needs a shake up.

But I believe Lambert has to cojounes to do it...[/quote] dont need to unsettle players with 4 games to go! who''s gonna come in for doc and nelson?? Lappin yes! and Elliott..arghhhhhhhhhhhhh! lets get the job done first, changes will be made next season!

[quote user="adycanary"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="adycanary"]

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Graham Humphrey"]Wasn''t it Nelson who lost Thornton for the second goal?[/quote]Not really... from what I saw Doherty was marking absolutely nobody and swivelled on the spot in horror as the ball was lofted easily over his head and right in to the danger area... watch it again - it was pathetic defending by the Doc.[/quote]

[/quote]At least he made an attempt to go somewhere near his runner... what was Doherty doing at the time?   Stood stationery, marking absolutely nobody and watching![/quote]

You really have no clue at all do you, the ball went to back post where nelson was so it was his job to win ball, think its called marking different areas rather that standing holding hands in box, if the ball fell on near penalty spot i''m bloody sure doc would have headed it and not ducked under it, i''m not having a go at nelson as i think he''s played pretty well most games he''s been involved in but it was his fault for 2nd goal unless forster called for him to leave it in which case it was forsters fault, how can you blame doc.

[/quote]The Doc certainly would not have cleared it if it had landed on the penalty spot as he was stood on the edge of the penalty area marking nobody as he watched the ball drift over his head.If it was zonal marking then it was zonal marking gone wrong with a centre half taking uup that position from where the free kick was being taken. 

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="adycanary"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="adycanary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

At least he made an attempt to go somewhere near his runner... what was Doherty doing at the time?   Stood stationery, marking absolutely nobody and watching!
[/quote]

[/quote]

The Doc certainly would not have cleared it if it had landed on the penalty spot as he was stood on the edge of the penalty area marking nobody as he watched the ball drift over his head.

If it was zonal marking then it was zonal marking gone wrong with a centre half taking uup that position from where the free kick was being taken. 
[/quote]

How can you blame the Doc if he wasn''t near it though??? If as you claim he wouldn''t have cleared it from the penalty spot then maybe he would hav been to blame if that was the area he was meant to be marking. As it was though the ball was fired o the back post, an area Nelson was mean''t to be marking- and they scored... How is that Doc''s fault??

Dump the duds?

Look at recent performances we have lost things due to a drop in effort and increase in arraogance in thinking we only need to turn up to win. During that run we have lost our most creative player hoolahan and so lost our attacking spark.

Holt and Martin have gone off the boil.

In midfield McNamee has not inpressed or inspired.  One cross against Oldham and a wickedly deflected shot against stockport are his sum contributions.

The regular 3,  the base that has allowed the flair up front to shine, have waned in their efforts.  Rusty in particular is in the middle of a run of performances that are too reminiscent of last seasons efforts for me,  arrogant, half hearted and second best for too much of the games, buying himself time by sitting closer to the back 4s toes than is healthy,  smith has looked tired and played in bursts only.   Of the base three Lappin has been the best of a mediocre bunch yet the crusade to drop him when others are performing worse ludicrously continues.

Its this area of the pitch that is under performing - midfield and attacking.  And the loss of hoolahan is so key here - an out for the defence and midfield as well as creating space and chances.

Yet the player we need to ditch at 3 of the 4 defenders that on the whole have continued to perform well.  Martin was MOTM against MKdons showing the midfield how to attack and cross.

Nelson has been solid and consistent - not great but nor have we suffered by him being here. Yes he (and doc) made a mistake against orient.  HUghes failed to take his chance and is not vilified;  holt against MKDons missed two glorious simple chances and needlessly got himself booked against MKDons and cost us more points than any of the three players listed as being duds,  yet should walk striaght back in teh team.

CUrrently the defence are putting in sound performances.    The midfielders need to look at themselves and perform better.

As I said in another threaed the problem is we dont have better options either for the midfield or to replace doc, MartonR or nelson.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Dump the duds?

Look at recent performances we have lost things due to a drop in effort and increase in arraogance in thinking we only need to turn up to win. During that run we have lost our most creative player hoolahan and so lost our attacking spark.

In midfield McNamee has not inpressed or inspired.  One cross against Oldham and a wickedly deflected shot against stockport are his sum contributions.

The regular 3,  the base that has allowed the flair up front to shine, have waned in their efforts.  Rusty in particular is in the middle of a run of performances that are too reminiscent of last seasons efforts for me,  arrogant, half hearted and second best for too much of the games, buying himself time by sitting closer to the back 4s toes than is healthy,  smith has looked tired and played in bursts only.   Of the base three Lappin has been the best of a mediocre bunch yet the crusade to drop him when others are performing worse ludicrously continues.

Its this area of the pitch that is under performing - midfield and attacking.  And the loss of hoolahan is so key here - an out for the defence and midfield as well as creating space and chances.

Yet the player we need to ditch at 3 of the 4 defenders that on the whole have continued to perform well.  Martin was MOTM against MKdons showing the midfield how to attack and cross.

Nelson has been solid and consistent - not great but nor have we suffered by him being here. Yes he (and doc) made a mistake against orient.  HUghes failed to take his chance and is not vilified;  holt against MKDons missed two glorious simple chances and needlessly got himself booked against MKDons and cost us more points than any of the three players listed as being duds,  yet should walk striaght back in teh team.

CUrrently the defence are putting in sound performances.    The midfielders need to look at themselves and perform better.

As I said in another threaed the problem is we dont have better options either for the midfield or to replace doc, MartonR or nelson.

[/quote]

Zipper, you are back to your rapier best here.

Exactly right in alomost every respect.   Some of the stuff on here is on a par with the Lazy Chris Martin threads.

I do wonder about cause and effect as it is all so interlinked.  Is Rusty sitting deeper and being less assured because the strikers are off the boil or or the strikers being more desperate and rushed because they sense the unease behind them?   Perhaps both.

The inherent confidence that whatever the opposition do will not matter because we will score come what may has diminished because the strikers and especially Holt have diminished and are missing chances that even a month ago would have been buried.

Control comes from midfield.  Confidence comes from the front and the back.

Zipper''s spot on, Smudger (still can''t quote, so you''ll have to scroll up): the problem - at least from the recent home games I''ve witnessed - is in the midfield. We''re just not controlling that area. The absence of Wes is a big part of the problem. Without him buzzing around taking the ball we look very sterile. Rusty sits too deep, Korey pushes on and the line becomes stretched. What I think we need is someone to put their foot on the ball and see what options are around. Korey, for all the excellent things he does, is not that man.

Without Wes, I''d advocate a 4 man midfield, bringing in Hughes to sit just in front of Lappin, Smith, Rusty (who would play as a flat, narrow 3). I''d then suggest bringing in Cody to play alongside Crispy. He''s maybe not the best at the club, but he has pace, and without Wes and Holt we need something. Hughes would be the man to pick that pass and bring that pace into play. McNamee can come on a bit later, when we have the game in a stranglehold, and dazzle us all with his tricks and crosses. At the moment I just don''t think we have the balance to play him from the start.

There are issues with the defence. Personally, not unlike Smudger, I''d prefer to see Spillane at right back, and one of Askou and Whitbread (possibly both) in the heart of the defence. However, defence is not the main problem - as already stated, the midfield is not doing the job of linking defence to attack and the ball keeps coming back. Get that sorted and we''ll be singing hymns...

Keep the faith. We''ll get there.

I''m with Hackney Canary on this.  Our midfield sounded a little bereft of ideas to say least on Tuesday.  Lambert is brilliant, but i hope he doesn''t sacrifice the thing that got Norwich where they are this season and which he himself confirmed is of paramount importance - balance and putting round pegs in round holes.  Oli Johnson is not the man who can play for 90 minutes in the hole.  He adds real value to the squad as we''ve seen but not from there for an entire match.  I honestly think (as others have stated) the only person at the club who can play that role is Mcveigh if Wes is injured, although Hughes may just be able to do it..  If not, I think we need to consider 4.4.2 or 4.5.1 controversially and hope macnamee is on it.

Russell Martin is a bit suspect and nelson has his limitations but I wouldn''t start tinkering with the back 4.  It''s done its job this season.  Still, we''ll do it.  No sweat 

Personally I would go 4-5-1 on Saturday and start both Macnamee and Hughes. I agree with the posts above that we have not been controlling the midfield in recent games and that is an area we need to be much stronger in on saturday.Hughes is the one fit midfielder we have who can get us ticking over and string a few passes together. Its no coincidence in my view that arguably our best passing performance of the season away at Leeds came with him in the starting line up. I don''t rate Lappin at all but think he could do a job as part of a 5 man midfield. I would go with:

Forster

Spillane, Doherty, Nelson, Drury

Macnamee, Smith, Russell, Hughes, Lappin

Martin

Most teams with their two best players out will struggle. Its not rocket science.

[quote user="freddyf105"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="adycanary"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="adycanary"]

[/quote]At least he made an attempt to go somewhere near his runner... what was Doherty doing at the time?   Stood stationery, marking absolutely nobody and watching![/quote]

[/quote]The Doc certainly would not have cleared it if it had landed on the penalty spot as he was stood on the edge of the penalty area marking nobody as he watched the ball drift over his head.If it was zonal marking then it was zonal marking gone wrong with a centre half taking uup that position from where the free kick was being taken.  [/quote]

How can you blame the Doc if he wasn''t near it though??? If as you claim he wouldn''t have cleared it from the penalty spot then maybe he would hav been to blame if that was the area he was meant to be marking. As it was though the ball was fired o the back post, an area Nelson was mean''t to be marking- and they scored... How is that Doc''s fault??

[/quote]I blame Doherty because he was marking nobody and was in totally the wrong area of the pitch for a centre half who should have been defending a free kick and was caught watching it in no mans land as the ball was drifted over his head in to the large area which he should of been at least helping Nelson to cover.I am sure if you asked Doherty himself and he gave you an honest answer then he would hold his hands up and admit he has to take a large proportion of the blame for that goal.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Dump the duds?

The regular 3,  the base that has allowed the flair up front to shine, have waned in theirIn midfield McNamee has not inpressed or inspired. 

One cross against Oldham and a wickedly deflected shot against stockport

are his sum contributions.
efforts.  Rusty in particular is in the middle of a run of performances that are too reminiscent of last seasons efforts for me,  arrogant, half hearted and second best for too much of the games, buying himself time by sitting closer to the back 4s toes than is healthy,  smith has looked tired and played in bursts only.   Of the base three Lappin has been the best of a mediocre bunch yet the crusade to drop him when others are performing worse ludicrously continues.

[/quote]Didn''t he set up both goals against Southend and have a large part to play from the bench when we rescued the game in the final 15 mins at Walsall?Honestly, they say I don''t give credit to players when they deserve it!As for Martin and Holt being off the boil... do you expect hatricks every single game from them?

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="freddyf105"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="adycanary"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="adycanary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The Doc certainly would not have cleared it if it had landed on the penalty spot as he was stood on the edge of the penalty area marking nobody as he watched the ball drift over his head.

If it was zonal marking then it was zonal marking gone wrong with a centre half taking uup that position from where the free kick was being taken. 
[/quote]

[/quote]

I blame Doherty because he was marking nobody and was in totally the wrong area of the pitch for a centre half who should have been defending a free kick and was caught watching it in no mans land as the ball was drifted over his head in to the large area which he should of been at least helping Nelson to cover.

I am sure if you asked Doherty himself and he gave you an honest answer then he would hold his hands up and admit he has to take a large proportion of the blame for that goal.
[/quote]

They mark different areas, if he went to the back post and the ball went to edge of area and rhey scored you''d still blame him, I''ll just give him a call and ask for his honest opinion shall I?, seems like nelson doing all the interviews this week saying" we all have to take responsibility", sounds to me he blames himself.

[quote user="Smudger"]Honestly, they say I don''t give credit to players when they deserve it![/quote]

No Smudger, you don''t... well only if they fall on the right side of your pre-judged opinions on who is a fantastic player and who is utterly hopeless (no inbetween either).

I''m not quite sure why you feel everything has to fit around your own pre-conceived ideas of how good a player is but that''s how it seems to be.  It''s alright giving someone like McNamee credit when they do well but let''s face it most of your posts have been a virtual love letter to him.  When he doesn''t do so well you can''t bring yourself to admit it.

Likewise you trying to pin the blame on Doc for the second goal when everybody else can see what the fault was.  And what did you think of his performance against Leeds?  Because strangely I can''t remember you posting saying what an immense match he had...

[quote user="Hackney Canary"]Zipper''s spot on, Smudger (still can''t quote, so you''ll have to scroll up): the problem - at least from the recent home games I''ve witnessed - is in the midfield. We''re just not controlling that area. The absence of Wes is a big part of the problem. Without him buzzing around taking the ball we look very sterile. Rusty sits too deep, Korey pushes on and the line becomes stretched. What I think we need is someone to put their foot on the ball and see what options are around. Korey, for all the excellent things he does, is not that man.

Without Wes, I''d advocate a 4 man midfield, bringing in Hughes to sit just in front of Lappin, Smith, Rusty (who would play as a flat, narrow 3). I''d then suggest bringing in Cody to play alongside Crispy. He''s maybe not the best at the club, but he has pace, and without Wes and Holt we need something. Hughes would be the man to pick that pass and bring that pace into play. McNamee can come on a bit later, when we have the game in a stranglehold, and dazzle us all with his tricks and crosses. At the moment I just don''t think we have the balance to play him from the start.

There are issues with the defence. Personally, not unlike Smudger, I''d prefer to see Spillane at right back, and one of Askou and Whitbread (possibly both) in the heart of the defence. However, defence is not the main problem - as already stated, the midfield is not doing the job of linking defence to attack and the ball keeps coming back. Get that sorted and we''ll be singing hymns...

Keep the faith. We''ll get there.[/quote]I agree with all of that which I have highlighted and very well put too... [Y]I think I would advocate a 4-5-1 with Chris Martin up top by himself on Saturday.  I am not sure that we have a striker who can partner Martin and be effective from the start of a match and I think that packing the midfield... something like Russell, Korey, Hughes, McNamee and one other (possibly Spillane could work very well indeed for us).A bit of a gamble to throw another new system in to the equation but we certainly need a good shake up and to try and get Hughes and McNamee on the ball as much as possible while giving them plenty of defensive cover in the midfield also.  A 1-0 victory would suit us down to the ground and I think that we could get it with such a line-up!