Sign in to follow this  
DGC

Spillane or R Martin?

I think Martin should keep the shirt for the remainder of the season.

Spillane in the long term though.

[quote user="Championship Dogger "]

I think Martin should keep the shirt for the remainder of the season.

Spillane in the long term though.

[/quote]

Agree, i have high hopes for Spillane.... but Martin has looked solid at this level!!!

[quote user="DGC"]No brainer for me, Spillane all day long
[/quote]

I thought Spillane was playing superbly before his injury, but Martin is better than most give him credit for and is continuing to improve. There''s not a lot between them.

I don''t know why everyone picks Spillane over Martin but I haven''t seen Martin put a foot wrong yet and if I remember correctly Micky has been sent off this season. Clutching at straws a bit I know, but Martin is Lamberts first choice and I back him all the way.

P.S. I think some people are judging Martin by the reports from Peterborough and not from what they''ve seen. They claimed that he couldn''t cope in the Championship but what people forget is that he was playing for a cack team with low morale at the bottom of the league.

I would bet my season ticket Martin will start the first game next season, injury permitting. 

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]Is everybody basing their view of Spillane on 2 very comfortable home wins? I''ve liked what i''ve seen so far but he''s hardly proven himself at this level yet let alone the Championship.[/quote]

yet wasnt martin dropped for poor championship performances for peterborough then sold on to us ?

spillane looked more complete, id have him in next season.

Sensible posts from Docs Snout and Canary on Trent.Russell Martin has done nothing to warrant being dropped whilst Mickey Spillane still has a lot to learn. His performances earlier in the season were grand, but it was against far inferior opposition and was not that many games either. He got caught upfield when he came on recently (forgive me but i cannot remember which game it was) and Cully gave him an almighty bollocking from the sidelines. They have invested their trust in Martin - as it should be.Granted, Spillane has all of the attributes to make it, but its Martin first for me. He''s been there and done it and daft goals given away from the right back position have dropped quite dramatically since his arrival… says all you need to know really. However we need two players for every position and Spillane and Martin cover right back nicely.

Ahh yes, those wonderful early season moments where Ostsembor''s performance made everyone sit on the edge of their seats.... but when the ball was played in the opposite direction. Classic memories ;)

I think we know what martin can do now,  and that he has yet to prove himself in the champs.   I think after the weekend I would like to see spillane given the last 6 games so we can get a real feel for how he  may be in the right back position.   At the mo it is Martins to lose. 

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]Russell Martins played more of part in this season than what Spillane has so why drop him?[/quote]Perhaps people need a new boo-boy?Diffiucult to harangue Chris Martin after his Leeds winner… Doc''s playing well (as in Nelson)… ermmmm… how about Russell Martin?Yup, he''ll do![:@]

lambert''s shown he doesnt drop players easily or with no reason, and Martins done nothing wrong since coming in, solid in defence and some good moves going forward. Never panics hion the ball and has often covered mistakes from the centre halves. Only critisism is he hasnt done anything spectacular that people have noticed and stuck in their minds, if he''d have scored after that run against millwall would there still be SO many doubters?Spillane had a couple of good games and if he hadnt got injured would probably have made RB his own, but he did and Martin''s given Lambert no reason to drop him. Always been a solid performer who just gets on with his job imo

As I''ve mentioned in the past I really don''t think Spillane is anything special. Just a young defender to have as a backup, no more than that. I''m sure he''ll imrpove with experience, like any player but for me he''s not good enough with the ball and his lack of pace is worrying.

Russell Martin looks pretty steady and he seems neater and tidier.

Pretty obvious which way the manager sees it at the moment and I can''t see that changing anytime soon.

Martin should keep his place until promotion is guaranteed and hopefully the title, unless his form dips, then i''d like to see Spillane and Whitbread given a couple of games, really to get Spillane more experience and just to see if Whitbread is actually as good as some of the hype. Imo both especially Whitbread may well be likely to play larger parts next season against tougher opposition. But i do agree R.Martin hasnt done anything wrong and it will be up to Spillane to prove he''s the better player in the long term.

I think either could and would do a job for us next year, but if Micky is fit again I would like to see him given a couple of games before the end of the year, for the experience.Micky needs games as I am not sure what position he plays best in, time on the pitch would hopefully help establish that. However, as most people have said, Lambert knows best!

A lot of people forget they are virtually the same age and Martin has far more games under his belt. For me Martin has been solid and would have to have a bad run to lose his place. The beauty of spillane is that he can play in 3 positions and will be part of the squad for a long time to come

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]A lot of people forget they are virtually the same age and Martin has far more games under his belt. For me Martin has been solid and would have to have a bad run to lose his place. The beauty of spillane is that he can play in 3 positions and will be part of the squad for a long time to come[/quote]

Spillane is 21 and Martin 24 thats a pretty big gap in footballing terms. But agree it would be wrong for Martin to lose his place, could say the same for almost any of the side really. As for people who say Martin is Lamberts choice we dont really know who he would have picked as Spillane was out injured and Martin is now the man in possession i think he seems pretty keen on having two good players competing for all the defensive positions, i think that Rose, Spillane, Askou, Whitbread, Drury, Martin, Doherty and Nelson would have great chances of getting into the sides of nearly all of the teams we''ve played this season, so hats off to the manager for making us so competitive at the back.

I don''t know, R.Martin has done nothing wrong but he does seem to struggle a bit when he comes up agaisnt a quick or half decent winger.

R.Martin for now but Spillane for the future.

Fans on 606 pages reckon R.Martin is the best right back in League 1.Not really much competition, it has to be said.

According to rumour around here, Martin''s departure from Peterborough was more to do with a difference of opinion with Fergie Jnr than any lack of ability at Championship level.

I think he and Spillane offer good competition for each other to be honest

[quote user="Pboro_Canary"]According to rumour around here, Martin''s departure from Peterborough was more to do with a difference of opinion with Fergie Jnr than any lack of ability at Championship level. I think he and Spillane offer good competition for each other to be honest[/quote]

Thats what I thought to wasnt he captain until then ?

For me however Martin every time. Watch him when we have a corner. Several times big clearences have been whacked up field and he has used pace and composure to stop the forward. Not seen enough of him but dont beleive Spillane is anywhere near as quick.