Sign in to follow this  
Horse Manure

Providing we go up, what will come first? Promotion or Relegation

Taking it as given that we will go up, what do you think will be more likely to happen first. Promotion to Premier League or relegation back to League 1. It may take a few years for either to happen but one will come first. I think a lot depends on the manager but i cannot see us getting in the same mess like we did a year ago and think that we will have 2 or 3 years knocking on the door before taking our rightful place once again with the big boys. What happens after that will once again depend on finance.

A lot will depend on keeping hold of both McNally and Lambo.If we can keep them around for at least 2 years, then promotion would be more likely to come first...Lose one and we could be looking at another 9 years of mid-table obscurity...Lose both............................................

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]A lot will depend on keeping hold of both McNally and Lambo.If we can keep them around for at least 2 years, then promotion would be more likely to come first...Lose one and we could be looking at another 9 years of mid-table obscurity...Lose both............................................[/quote]Pretty hard to disagree with this.

Why would retaining the services of both McNally and Lambert result in us "more likely" to gain promotion than relegation?

We haven''t actually won anything yet since McNally and Lambert arrived and having both on board does not equal success. Look at what happened with Worthington guiding the club to promotion to the top flight out of a much tougher league that we have played in this season. Just because he got the players getting the results we needed to get promotion, it didn''t necessarily mean that more success would follow. It didn''t, the same fans that hailed him turned on him and he was axed.

Things are going well at the moment, but this is a p1ss-poor league and one we should never have been in in the first place. I''ll be cheering at County Hall just as I was last time, but let''s not be too hasty to pat ourselves on the back and regard two people as potential messiahs - this is/was League One. We couldn''t even win the JPT for goodness sake...

I don''t think we will ever get back in to the Premier League. Something MAJOR in the way of investment would have to happpen. Money talks. We don''t have it.

That''s the point, though, Canary Jay... which manager/chief exec combination do you reckon is more likely to attract any form of investment? Doomcaster and Roeder/Gunn/Grant, or McNally and Lambert?  The pair of them together have brought NCFC back onto such stable foundations as a football club, that even with our high level of debt there seems to be a confidence that these are the men who can get us out of it - McNally with his astute football and business acumen, Lambert with his tactical cunning and motivational skills.Lose McNally and we might fail to secure some of the transfers that Lambert requires in future transfer windows.Lose Lambert and we might get the players but fail to use them effectively or motivate them to success.Lose both and we might be back down here in the ''p1ss-poor league''...And incidentally, we should be in this league because we were utter shite last season and performed like a club destined to rot forever.  Lambert and McNally have turned that around.

Don''t get me wrong EM - I think that the arrival of McNally and Lambert (and I''d like to include the appointment of Chairman Bowkett) has certainly given the club a boot up the backside and change in direction it needed. I don''t doubt these appointments, combined with players who clearly want to play for the management staff, are the reasons for the jump back to a league we were in.

The previous off-the-pitch "team" were clearly not on the same page as each other. That and some very dubious decisions around loan players (and those being sanctioned) is what lead to the relegation in the first place.

The point I was making is that it whilst things look a lot rosier than they were under Doncaster and Roeder (I can''t blame Gunn - he was guilty of wanting to manage the club he loves; the responsibility for appointing him lies elsewhere), there''s nothing to say that this combination will be as effective next season. I''ll agree with you that we seem to be in pretty good shape, all things considering, but without an bottomless pit of money, I think we''ll remain in the Championship for many years to come. If that happens, we WILL lose one or the other - McNally will say something along the lines of "taking the club as far as he could take it" and Lambert will follow his personal ambitions if he feels that Norwich is not the vehicle to satisfy those goals.

It just worries me that some folks are getting carried away with just how good they feel the current managment of the club is without retaining a *little* bit of pessimism, with an eye on the past.

Perhaps it''s just because my glass is half empty today :(

I don''t believe we would get relegated again for another 50 years.

Last season was a freak and not one we could even blame on lack of finance. Instead it was bought about by diabolical decisions at every level of the football club.

Thankfully if one good thing has come from being relegated it has cut out some of those chief decision makers who''s bad judgement over the previous few years has landed us here.

Probably promotion, because Lambert knows what hes doing, so if we keep him with next seasons Championship minus Newcastle, West Brom and another good team winning the play offs with poor teams coming down, I think we could seriously challenge for promotion!

Yes this Leagues not a great one and one we should of never been if better boardroom decisions had been made but its still a hard one to get out of - look at Forests 3 seasons in League 1 and Leeds looking like they could still be in the 3rd tier next season.

It will still be a massive achievement to get out of this division at the 1st attempt!

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

I don''t believe we would get relegated again for another 50 years.

Last season was a freak and not one we could even blame on lack of finance. Instead it was bought about by diabolical decisions at every level of the football club.

Thankfully if one good thing has come from being relegated it has cut out some of those chief decision makers who''s bad judgement over the previous few years has landed us here.

[/quote]

I''m glad you''re so optimistic! We have the seeds of success but we wait to see if the funds arrive to see it through. Until the board announce proper investment it can go either way. Next season will be a big test.

I,m going to be very honest with my comments.Watching the team this year we are one hell of a way off from being a top championship team, comparing us to out Title winning 2004 side we are way off, remember we are playing in division 3 a league whcih we shouldn''t be in and it''s the boards fault that we got into this mess, Lambert has done a brilliant job with the tools he was given, but we need major investmentto move up again and I can''t see it coming and delia quite frankly hasn''t got the funds to invest heavily, we need at least 5-6 decent players and I,m afraid we may only get 2, so mid table next year unless investment is made.We came down with a similar squad

This is in no way a prediction, but of hope and optimism. I wouldn''t be surprised if our owners decided to build on their faith and confidence in our management team and found some way to finance team strengthening to challenge for promotion. Shrewd scouting and business sense combined with the possible appeal of playing for our club may deliver great potential even results. Promotion before relegation. If you don''t have a dream, how you gonna have a dream come true.

I agree, and I don''t see us storming to the the Championship title next year.

Having said that, there''s no reason why we couldn''t "do a Leicester" and be play off candidates next year though. I believe Lambert is one of the best managers around at the moment and I don''t think he''ll stay more than a few years. I''m already grateful for virtually getting us back into the Championship.

Let''s be honest, we should think of ourselves as a yo-yo team between the Championship and the Prem. In a good season get to the Prem / in a bad finish mid-table in the Championship.

This was Worthy''s record, but we felt we deserved better, but I don''t think it''s realistic (as Burnley / Hull / Wigan) will find.

I''ve enjoyed this season more than any since our Championship winning one. It''s more fun to see us win, regardless, and the days we can challenge the top 4 or (now about 6) in the country with local youth products are gone.

I''d be happy in the championship, challenging for promotion, occasionally making it, then going down.

I think the days of us finishing 3rd in thePrem are pre-foreign money/players and we ought to forget that and enjoy the excellant team we''ve got.

Keep Lambert and his backroom team and we will see improvement year on year imo. Initial expectations must not be too high and concentrate on consolidation anything more would be a bonus