Sign in to follow this  
Jacko

Chris Martin

Chris Martin can operate on an economy of chances (like Saturday) and still produce the one winning touch that brings 3 points.

That skillset has a certain value - and it''s a high value!

He is likely to be even more impressive next season in the Championship; the importance of his strikes may be more useful than the sheer volume of goals?

He is a natural finisher - through on goal he''s one City player you fully expect to finish more often than not.

We need to look after him!

Who was that Leeds player who produced a powder puff effort when put through on goal last Saturday - Grella maybe? Very poor effort - that''s the standard in some clubs - very weak. Most opposition managers would be doing cartwheels and high-fives if they could get Chris Martin into their squad!

He''s 6ft, strong in the air and on the ball. He''s got a great touch and a great finish. Can hit the ball with both feet, and has developed a great read of the game. The future is bright for the lad, he knows it, but this time I think he''s got his head switched on.

Chris Martin is clearly a naturally good footballer. You can just tell that.

For me he''s no different to any other player - if he''s had a good game then you can say so, if he''s had a bad game then you can say so.

There does seem to be a little bit of a belief that if you say anything even slightly negative about him it''s because you''re convinced he''s some kind of yob like trouble maker.

He played a full season in League 2 and did alright, scoring a few goals. He''s now almost played a full season in League 1, done even better and scored more goals this season. Now it''s looking like he''ll be stepping up to the Championship again in which case he''ll need to prove that he can play and get the goals at that level through a full season.

he is city threw and threw, leave the kid alone and stop with the bashing, he does''nt deserve it, he has been different class this season, and he''s only going to get better and better!!

In all honesty he''s currently he''s 106 goals under Jonny Gavin''s record. I reckon he can get 15 goals next season. I don''t expect him to set the world alight but I''d currently settle for 15 from the lad.

Being a conservative estimate if he was to stay at this club for 10 years I reckon he can get close to 200 goals for us which would not only break the record but smash it and create one which would stand a lot lot longer.

I feel though the real question is not if he will break it but will he stay long enough so that he can?

Davo

A bit of a side-question here....

Who do you think will end up the better finished product in 5 years time, Chris Martin, or Ched Evans?

Remember after his time here how Ched was the saviour we had to have, and we were stupid for not pay whatever it cost to get him here? How’s he doing now? Wikipedia claims 3 goals in 31, although I realise that doesn’t tell the whole story.

I wonder what impact Martin could have played in those struggling championship years if his head was in a better place.

We were having a chat in the stands on Saturday and discussing whether we thought any of our current squad could cut it at Premiership level one day.We thought that Chrissy Martin, Korey Smith, as well as possibly Declan Rudd and Fraser Forster (although he is not officially ours) had what it takes to possibly make the grade one day.