Sign in to follow this  
YankeeCanary

How To Play Fulham - Like Blackburn!

While recognizing that every week can bring a different performance from any team I really believe there is enough evidence to suggest our best approach for success against Fulham is to mimic what Blackburn did last week. Fulham have a number of injuries and it was clear they were extremely disorganized in defending against Blackburn. This was particularly true because Blackburn continuously fed the ball into the Fulham final third ON THE GROUND, with the receiver briefly holding the ball and then quickly laying off a pass alongside to a darting team mate. If Worthy had the Blackburn victory observed he is probably already aware of this and preparing accordingly. Of course, Fulham will have been working on their problems also but a) likely will not have solved things yet and b) we are at home and, with the crowd in the same frame of mind as against Southampton, if we can take the game to Fulham at the off, I see no reason why we can''t be two goals up at half-time. Fulham have one or two players who can hurt us if we start falling back and let them play in our half, but Blackburn did not really provide much opportunity for Fulham in this regard, and neither should we. I expect McKenzie to be key for us in this game because of his pace. I also think Huckerby can be key if he intelligently alternates his mazy runs with laying off quick accurate passes into the middle, thereby keeping Fulham off guard as to what''s coming next.      

Keep in mind however, that Fulham (although they still lost) played very well against Chelsea on Tues night in the Carling Cup...this will be a tough match for us, but one we should win if the crowd gives the players a lift.

Whilst everything you say is true, Yankee, if we did that every week we''d beat most teams in this league. Arsenal were successful last year (ManYoo for the decade before them) because of their accurate, fast-moving passing in the final third. Basically, you''re stating the obvious. The best way to stop Fulham playing is to ensure Malbranque sees as little of the ball as possible. I do agree that McKenzie will be key, as whlist Zat Knight will win everything in the air, I''m not convinced by his mobility, and Leon could well give him some real problems.

Anyway, I''m off to tell Worthy my thoughts...

I think you are right, which makes me think Svensson should play up front, with Hucks and MacKenzie running from the flanks.Three midfielders - Helveg, Mulryne and Safri, with the back four remaining unchanged. Only because I can''t think of anyone to replace Fleming and Edworthy.

I agree that Fulham should not be seen as an easy three points - we did that with Everton and look where that got us.

Fulham can be very effective on the break (look at their 4-1 win at SJP) and this season we have not defended those situations very well at all. If we can ensure Malbranque and Legwinski are quiet then we should be OK. However I would have prefered to have Francis to match Papa Diop who seems to have adjusted very well to the premiership.

I am confident we can score against Fulham (Crossley style over-performances aside) - but my concerns remain about the defence. Shackell, Doc and Helveg are all options for centre or right back.

OTBC

[quote]While recognizing that every week can bring a different performance from any team I really believe there is enough evidence to suggest our best approach for success against Fulham is to mimic what Bla...[/quote]

Although you come out with some very observant points YC (don''t look too shocked my friend!) I have to use my hard fought reputation for being somewhat negative here.

Make no mistake about it, Fulham are no mugs, they play attractive passing football. Like City, and with a bit more luck, they could have won a few more games than they actually have.

This game, like all so far, will be bloody tough, both sides desperately need to win it.

I will resort to my red underwear again, and be keeping my fingers crossed for good measure, its going to be a stressful day again I''m afraid.

It''s a game we HAVE to win, and the players must be as up for it from the off as they were against Southampton, but keep that tempo going until we take the lead (and then beyond). A thread on here a couple of days ago said that Fulham haven''t won a game they were behind in: they are a confidence based team as Jeckyll and Hyde type outfits are. We can''t allow them any.

Before southampton I said that 7 points from the next 3 games would have us all starting to hope/believe again, especially given some of the simultaneous fixtures. 4 down 3 to go!

personally i think norwich can win or perhaps draw against the cottagers. they did so well last season mainly because of louis saha, and as a result, they''re struggling up front. if norwich can play the way they played southampton, i don''t see any reason why they can''t win the game.

their form currently isn''t that good, lost 4 out of 5 games. i reckon huckbery and mckenzie will teach volz and knight a lesson !

2nd win for norwich of the season : 1-0, huckbery

It''s not a game we have to win. It just feels like that.The more we think "oh my god, we have to win this", the more we will transfer our nerves to the players.Let''s just enjoy it, cheer, shout, clap, sing and have some fun. This is what we''ve been waiting for for 9 years!

I think that playing three in midfield would result in us getting over-run. I''d prefer 3 and a half (i.e., the non-defending Huckster!). As someone said above, the key may well be Leon running at Knight, who has a habit of bringing people down when one-on-one. Also, Helveg could be asked to man-mark Malbranque, who gets a bit hot under the collar himself if he''s harrassed all game.