Sign in to follow this  
Canary Boy

We were good enough to win

What a game! Tough, gritty and a bit too hard! (Druey?)

I felt that Norwich were good enough to win tonights game. They pushed for long periods but the West Brom defense were too hard and dirty to get past. I don''t know where the ref was from, but he got away with murder tonight. Just where do these people come from? He was a shambles.

I think you could also include their midfield and forwards in the context of being dirty. I know some of our players are not angels but I don''t believe we deliberately go out to injure our opponents. Some of the West Brom tackles tonight were very dangerous and borderline, and I''m sure there will be several black and blue Canaries in the treatment room tomorrow. Huckerby and Drury were clattered on several occassions and did well not to retaliate, as did Edworthy right at the end when he was caught very late.

Once again an excellent team performance and I can''t wait for Sunday to arrive. Top of the league and still having a laugh.

You''re right - what a game. It wasn''t pretty, and it was tough, but our boys played like it really mattered, all of them. The second half was mighty, with Edworthy getting more and more confident and attacking, and Francis showing more determination than usual. Holt was at his absolute best, and Flem, and Malky, and Drury, and... well, everybody. Even McVeigh, who didn''t have a good game, put the effort in, although he does look too isolated out on the right. I thought we looked REALLY good down the left, with Brennan beginning to shine. Poor old Iwan was fouled so many times without a free kick, and there was an unbelievable number of obvious but unpenalised hand balls - including one by Flem when Green had that Grobelaar moment (what happened there???). But all in all, it was a cracking game, like a cup final, and I was really proud of our guys.

Totally agree, if WBA are good enough to be promoted, then we must be championship material. I thought the Ref was the worst i have seen home and away this season, but i was glad he missed Flemings handball in the first half, otherwise i fear we would be without his services for a game.

An entertaining game dominated by two robust defences with the baggies playing their usual defensive game. As you say the ref was a joke - I think he was the one who allowed the Huddersfield 40 yard offside goal and was criticised at the Cardiff W Ham game at the weekend?

City were good enough to win but we lacked options going forward. Chambers, albeit too physically, did as good a containing job on Hux as anyone has and for far. Once we realised this we reverted to our only current alternative and for too much of the second half City relied on the long ball game showing that we had run out of ideas. With two central defenders against Roberts/Sven and our midfield not supporting high enough up the pitch this was never going to get us a breakthrough. We need a bit of creativity in midfield as well as up front - Joe Cole on loan anyone! ;-)

One plus point was how much better McVeigh looked back on the left wing - although Mullers is hardly an option on the right.

In the second half again we looked like the more likely winners. A good result against a tough team to break down and our lead intact - not a bad nights work - and a cracking atmosphere too.

Roll on Sunday!

OTBC

we were certainly the better team football wise and the baggies defended well (as we did) but neither side were done any favours by the referee - i think he should be ashamed of himself.

how about the showboating from Malky? twice for goodness sake!!

The ref was a joke. He was completely useless and failed to spot anything for either side. The number of possible penalties was just silly.

I guess the draw was a fair result in the end tho and it keeps us clear of the rest.

My mistake - the huddersfield game was reffed by G Cain not B Curson.

Happy with the result, West Brom can be described best as uncompromising at worst tedious in the extreme, if they go up will light up the Premiership.

But City are beginning to look one dimensional going forward, if Huckerby doesn''t turn it on we just lump it forward. The midfield was solid enough but there was no spark or invention, perhaps Paul McV prefers left side may get to stay there against you know who. If Nigel cant get Prem quality loanee to spice up the middle play Mulryne on Sunday and why cant Holt plat right side, after ll if he can play right back. We need some inventiveness.

Although it may not be needed against the Binners who have now conceded twice as many as City.

Defence again looked very solid and never looked like conceding, once it was apparent the referee was hell bent on not awarding a penalty to anyone, he liked taking names though, what a disaster, if you referee tough games you have to be prepared to make tough decisions.

Will Iwan play Sunday, City never lost to the Binners when he has played so in just for that, but having Iwan up front only accentuates City''s one dimensional approach, Svensson looked ready to battle and Leons record speaks for itself against the Binners.

Convincing win on Sunday please lads.

I really enjoyed the game last night - the atmosphere was electric, but I am still fuming this morning about the referee. He was simply appalling.

On a positive note, we are still top of the league and look like going all the way.

Up the Canaries!!!!!

It may be against the grain here, but I didn''t think West Brom were that over the top.
Tough, yes, but then Huckerby''s got to expect to be tackled - teams aren''t going to come to Carrow Road and just watch him dribble past them.
As far as I could see, Chambers mistimed one tackle - albeit what could have been a crucial one - and even that wasn''t malicious.
Iwan''s arms and elbows were all over the place; Malky stamped a la Roy Keane on Johnson; and Svensson ruffled a few feathers.
But that''s what I want to see. I don''t want to see Norwich rolling over for teams. West Brom knew they had to be tough - and Norwich matched them.
A good, old fashioned hard game - there''s nowt wrong with that.

West Canary, the Malky incident was nothing really, he was merely using Johnson as a stepping stone, and to be honest if he hadn''t have taken such action (i.e. jump in the air), he probably would have had at least 1 of his legs broken - I think Johnsons attempted challenge left a lot to be desired. I wouldn''t call it a fair game, some of the challenges where a way over the top and the ref should have set an early precident to avoid injury. Yes it is a mans game, with the emphasis on the word game!