Sign in to follow this  
Ken Aries

No Longer a Small Club

According to Andrew Cullen in the EDP the other week,we could sell-out at 35,000 every home game.If that is so,it''s such a pity our stadium''s capacity is rather limited.It also set me thinking that with a potential 35,000 crowd we are no longer a "small club".35,000 would rival many of the present Premiership club''s attendances,and even exceed a few of them. 

Well we''re not a really small club but in terms of spending power we are.I personally think that if we can establish ourselves as a premiership outfit then the way forward will be to build a new ground...

I think it would be silly to build a new stadium - that would cost upwards of 30million i should think, the chances are that we would rarely be able to consistently attract more that 35,000. well there''s another 5,000 for the jarrold i think, another 5,000 on top of the main stand, elsewhere i''m sure too

i would prefer to knock down a stand and build a bigger one than move to a new stadium, no doubt called ''digital phones stadium'', that would be awful

I think there''s currently enough scope to expand capacity if required. Apparently it is possible to put a tier on top of the city stand and I think I''m right in saying you could do something extra with the South stand (or did I dream that???)

That should take you to around 35,000 quite easilly, which should be sufficient for a while, that''s only slightly smaller than Anfield.

We are in a very good position in that we don''t have another pro football team for 40 miles which gives us a very large catchment area. I never have really felt we were a small club in terms of potential of support but to a degree the powers that be have over the years been happy to be thought of as little old Norwich. We are never going to be a Manure but there is no reason why we shouldn''t be able to compete with the Middlesboroughs of this world.

QUOTE:  would prefer to knock down a stand and build a bigger one than move to a new stadium, no doubt called ''digital phones stadium'', that would be awful

Archie:

No chance, whatever they wanted to call it, let em, I reckon we should all call it Fortress "something else"... . It''d catch on eventually... that is if it ever happened, they''re doing alot of work at FCR, so it would appear they''re planning to stay for a while...

[quote]QUOTE: would prefer to knock down a stand and build a bigger one than move to a new stadium, no doubt called ''digital phones stadium'', that would be awful Archie: No chance, whatever they wanted t...[/quote]

Normann, in the light of recent experiences, perhaps ''Fort Knocks''?