Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

1.8million the consequences

1.8million in the kitty

Most agree the need for a striker  but 1.8 million does not get Prem standard (a bit like trying to buy a top spec PC  for £300!)

Strikers in the 1m mark will be no better than Sven or Leon.

So is it worth spending at all?

My guess would be no! Better save the kitty till the season ends.

Then if

a) we stay up it will boost a bigger fund and get a juicy signing

b) we go down it would buy a couple of top Championship players to really give us a hope of returning

Basically spending for the sake of spending may not be wise.

Obviously I would prefer we brought big now- but realistically that aint gonna happen!

Not sure where the 1.8m comes from as I have only seen £1.2m quoted today, but I agree that if we cant buy better than the striker we already have we dont buy a striker. Alternatively a loan striker may be a more cost effective solution if we can attract the right player.

However we could also fish around for a central midfielder or defender to strengthen the team and I am sure they will have nearly as much impact as the striker we crave.

OTBC

You can''t put a figure on ''a Prem striker''. I''m convinced it doesn''t work like that. We spent 750k on Hux, West Brom spent 4.5m on Earnshaw... who has scored more goals?

Then there are ''big name'' players like Cole, Yorke, Anelka, Phillips, Fowler etc. who would cost millions but aren''t doing the business in the Prem. Right now, on their current form, none of those players would add to our team. So lets name some names. I wonder whether we could get a player like Ashton for 1m? I''d rather gamble on him than one of the above....

And even, do we need a striker or do we need a quality right midfielder to put better quality balls in to the strikers we have. Better quality chances should mean more goals from them, surely?