Sign in to follow this  
Simon Lappin, King Of Spain

New Ginger Pele Song

Sorry King of Spain - that was very un-forumy of me. Mook is a regular message boarder on here who I think has some connection to said band. I was hoping he might chime in with some gig details etc''. They sound rather good don''t they.

No worries Romantic, just checked out their myspace, actually not bad at all and i like the name, it''s been a while since i''ve heard any decent music coming out of Norwich (but then I no longer live there so why would I?), not since Bear Suit and Splendid Lieutenant in fact.

Yes, Bear Suit and Splendid Lieutentant are good uns, but there are a number of awesome bands in Norwich. I''m going to do some promotion for my friends bands and suggest you check out Men (of the UK) and Olympians (used to be called Hair Traffic Control). Both completely great. Pennines are also a top band but they don''t play in Norwich that much. One of the guys lives in London but is from Norwich and the rest of them live here. They''re all on Mybook or Face Tube. Check ''em out!

[quote user="Simon Lappin King Of Spain"]No worries Romantic, just checked out their myspace, actually not bad at all and i like the name, it''s been a while since i''ve heard any decent music coming out of Norwich (but then I no longer live there so why would I?), not since Bear Suit and Splendid Lieutenant in fact.[/quote]Yeah, I produced and mixed the Gary Doc single, and do all their other recordings too. They''re a good little band with loads of potential, most importantly really nice people who work hard. I think they''re going places, but with the industry as it is at the moment, "going places" doesn''t necessarily mean fame & fortune...Shame you''re not hear at the moment King, there''s a good little scene. Brownies are a great band (four star album review in the observer I think?), Pistolas became Uh-Ohs (who have now split up but were good), Bearsuit are still going strong, Violet Violet are loved by Artrocker magazine (whether that''s a good thing or not), Kabeedies were all over the radio at one point, if you like extremely high energy, 2 minute pop songs!There''s some kind of NME - Norwich Musical Express - tour going on at the moment, down at the 100 Club on Oxford Street. I think it''s monthly, and all the Norwich bands are going down there to try and get some exposure. We Can''t Dance are down there end of April I think.

[quote user="Mook"][quote user="Simon Lappin King Of Spain"]No worries Romantic, just checked out their myspace, actually not bad at all and i like the name, it''s been a while since i''ve heard any decent music coming out of Norwich (but then I no longer live there so why would I?), not since Bear Suit and Splendid Lieutenant in fact.[/quote]

Yeah, I produced and mixed the Gary Doc single, and do all their other recordings too. They''re a good little band with loads of potential, most importantly really nice people who work hard. I think they''re going places, but with the industry as it is at the moment, "going places" doesn''t necessarily mean fame & fortune...

Shame you''re not hear at the moment King, there''s a good little scene. Brownies are a great band (four star album review in the observer I think?), Pistolas became Uh-Ohs (who have now split up but were good), Bearsuit are still going strong, Violet Violet are loved by Artrocker magazine (whether that''s a good thing or not), Kabeedies were all over the radio at one point, if you like extremely high energy, 2 minute pop songs!

There''s some kind of NME - Norwich Musical Express - tour going on at the moment, down at the 100 Club on Oxford Street. I think it''s monthly, and all the Norwich bands are going down there to try and get some exposure. We Can''t Dance are down there end of April I think.
[/quote]

Nice one i''ll have to check some of those out, I remember a couple of years back Steve Lamaq saying he thought Norwich had the best underground music scene outside of London, good to see things haven''t changed too much!

[quote user="Mook"][quote user="Simon Lappin King Of Spain"]No worries Romantic, just checked out their myspace, actually not bad at all and i like the name, it''s been a while since i''ve heard any decent music coming out of Norwich (but then I no longer live there so why would I?), not since Bear Suit and Splendid Lieutenant in fact.[/quote]

Yeah, I produced and mixed the Gary Doc single, and do all their other recordings too. They''re a good little band with loads of potential, most importantly really nice people who work hard. I think they''re going places, but with the industry as it is at the moment, "going places" doesn''t necessarily mean fame & fortune...

Shame you''re not hear at the moment King, there''s a good little scene. Brownies are a great band (four star album review in the observer I think?), Pistolas became Uh-Ohs (who have now split up but were good), Bearsuit are still going strong, Violet Violet are loved by Artrocker magazine (whether that''s a good thing or not), Kabeedies were all over the radio at one point, if you like extremely high energy, 2 minute pop songs!

There''s some kind of NME - Norwich Musical Express - tour going on at the moment, down at the 100 Club on Oxford Street. I think it''s monthly, and all the Norwich bands are going down there to try and get some exposure. We Can''t Dance are down there end of April I think.
[/quote]

Cheers for that,might pop down and check that out[Y]

Magoo!! Were they a Norwich band???

[quote user="Herman "]

Cheers for that,might pop down and check that out[Y]

Magoo!! Were they a Norwich band???

[/quote]Yeah, Magoo did a "comeback" recently but I must say, even though I liked them back in the day, I think their time may have passed. I forgot to mention The Lost Levels who are currently up and coming, more laid back than most other Norwich bands but really well-crafted, musical songs. Check out the video for The Early Sheets on their myspace if you like 80s computer games (which I do).

I liked Magoo, I used to play in a band which supported them a couple of times.  The Sargasso Trio are v good too, they are Norwich based. 

[quote user="Mister Chops"]I liked Magoo, I used to play in a band which supported them a couple of times.  The Sargasso Trio are v good too, they are Norwich based.  [/quote]Oh yeah, forgot Sargasso! Their new set is going to be very interesting, they have another two members for live stuff. What band were you in, Chops?

[quote user="Mook"][quote user="Mister Chops"]I liked Magoo, I used to play in a band which supported them a couple of times.  The Sargasso Trio are v good too, they are Norwich based.  [/quote]Oh yeah, forgot Sargasso! Their new set is going to be very interesting, they have another two members for live stuff. What band were you in, Chops?[/quote]This was a long time ago in the late 1990s: I played in a band called Grand Fromage with the drummer and singer/keyboard player who went on to form Cord, and now are Tin Man.  I had a bass amp that went up to 11.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Mook"][quote user="Mister Chops"]I liked Magoo, I used to play in a band which supported them a couple of times.  The Sargasso Trio are v good too, they are Norwich based.  [/quote]Oh yeah, forgot Sargasso! Their new set is going to be very interesting, they have another two members for live stuff. What band were you in, Chops?[/quote]This was a long time ago in the late 1990s: I played in a band called Grand Fromage with the drummer and singer/keyboard player who went on to form Cord, and now are Tin Man.  I had a bass amp that went up to 11.

[/quote]That''s my friend James! In fact, James is one of the extra people added in to the Sargasso lineup. I''m pretty sure I saw your band at the beautiful ****hole that was Fat Paulies. But I didn''t know James or Phil then.

[quote user="Mook"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Mook"][quote user="Mister Chops"]I liked Magoo, I used to play in a band which supported them a couple of times.  The Sargasso Trio are v good too, they are Norwich based.  [/quote]Oh yeah, forgot Sargasso! Their new set is going to be very interesting, they have another two members for live stuff. What band were you in, Chops?[/quote]This was a long time ago in the late 1990s: I played in a band called Grand Fromage with the drummer and singer/keyboard player who went on to form Cord, and now are Tin Man.  I had a bass amp that went up to 11.

[/quote]That''s my friend James! In fact, James is one of the extra people added in to the Sargasso lineup. I''m pretty sure I saw your band at the beautiful ****hole that was Fat Paulies. But I didn''t know James or Phil then.[/quote]Well it''s a small world!  I saw Phil at the one man Lord of the Rings show at the Playhouse recently.  Hope James is doing well, haven''t seen him in ages but he''s a good guy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Doherty It''s reached wikipedia now, would be decent to have a ''Norwich Fans'' band, what about getting it played when the doc scores or places a wayward backpass ha!