Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

Lamberts Targets and size of Transfer pot

We are virtually in the chapionship again and if reports are to be believed Lambert has already been promised cash to strengthen the squad. My rough estimate is that the club will be £5m or so better off than being in league 1 but a chunk of that will be earmarked to reduce the debt. I would guess that he will be given @ £2m to strengthen the squad. With a shrewd eye that can still go a long way these days. I fancy he will buy a couple of top performers from league 1 with the cash plus the odd out of contract player. There may be some good targets from the league 1 teams that fail with promotion and Bristol Rovers have a good scoring midfielder though i forget his name. Also the Forster issue will have to be progressed, possibly an extended loan as i think he would be exposed in the premiership at the moment

[quote user="Yorkshire anary"]We are virtually in the chapionship again and if reports are to be believed Lambert has already been promised cash to strengthen the squad. My rough estimate is that the club will be £5m or so better off than being in league 1 but a chunk of that will be earmarked to reduce the debt. I would guess that he will be given @ £2m to strengthen the squad. With a shrewd eye that can still go a long way these days. I fancy he will buy a couple of top performers from league 1 with the cash plus the odd out of contract player. There may be some good targets from the league 1 teams that fail with promotion and Bristol Rovers have a good scoring midfielder though i forget his name. Also the Forster issue will have to be progressed, possibly an extended loan as i think he would be exposed in the premiership at the moment[/quote]

I think extending Forsters loan for another season would benefit both Norwich and Newcastle. Obvious reasoning for us, but with Newcastle would mean their goalkeeper continues his footballing education in the Championship.

Going through each position ins and outs:

Goalkeeper: see above, Jed Steer out on loan

Defenders: Russell Martin and Spillane will offer enough competition at right back, keep all 4 regular centre-backs and send Stephens back out on loan, sell Wiggins, send Rose back, buy a new left back to cover Drury. If Watford go down lets look at Jay DeMerit and Martin Taylor

Midfielders: Sell Owain Tudur-Jones, Matthew Gill and Paul McVeigh, keep all other current midfielders, send out Adeyemi on loan. Bring in Nick Bailey from Charlton, unfortunately I think Jon Jo Shelvey could be out of our price range, we could do with another right midfielder. Bring a promising youngster from the Premiership in, Jernade Meade springs to mind instantly.

Forwards: Sell Jamie Curerton...keep all other current forwards, send Cody McDonald and Oli Johnson out on short-term loan deals, we''ve got to be looking towards getting another premiership season long loan upfront, someone like James Vaughan of Everton. Another casualty signing from Watford John Eustace.

We are not going to have big money available to spend but I think my Dad made an intresting point that Lambert has managed Wycombe and Colchester in leagues 1 and 2 for a couple of years now. He must know who the outstanding players in the division are from lesser teams. So could he bring them in relatively cheaply. For example Barnard when at Southend would have fitted into this criteria.

[quote user="Norfolk Lutonian "]

[quote user="Yorkshire anary"]We are virtually in the chapionship again and if reports are to be believed Lambert has already been promised cash to strengthen the squad. My rough estimate is that the club will be £5m or so better off than being in league 1 but a chunk of that will be earmarked to reduce the debt. I would guess that he will be given @ £2m to strengthen the squad. With a shrewd eye that can still go a long way these days. I fancy he will buy a couple of top performers from league 1 with the cash plus the odd out of contract player. There may be some good targets from the league 1 teams that fail with promotion and Bristol Rovers have a good scoring midfielder though i forget his name. Also the Forster issue will have to be progressed, possibly an extended loan as i think he would be exposed in the premiership at the moment[/quote]

I think extending Forsters loan for another season would benefit both Norwich and Newcastle. Obvious reasoning for us, but with Newcastle would mean their goalkeeper continues his footballing education in the Championship.

Defenders: Russell Martin and Spillane will offer enough competition at right back, keep all 4 regular centre-backs and send Stephens back out on loan, sell Wiggins, send Rose back, buy a new left back to cover Drury. If Watford go down lets look at Jay DeMerit and Martin Taylor

Midfielders: Sell Owain Tudur-Jones, Matthew Gill and Paul McVeigh, keep all other current midfielders, send out Adeyemi on loan. Bring in Nick Bailey from Charlton, unfortunately I think Jon Jo Shelvey could be out of our price range, we could do with another right midfielder. Bring a promising youngster from the Premiership in, Jernade Meade springs to mind instantly.

Forwards: Sell Jamie Curerton...keep all other current forwards, send Cody McDonald and Oli Johnson out on short-term loan deals, we''ve got to be looking towards getting another premiership season long loan upfront, someone like James Vaughan of Everton. Another casualty signing from Watford John Eustace.

[/quote]

Good luck selling Jamie Cureton and Paul McVeigh, they are both out of contract at the end of the season.

the only money we will get is from tv money, and a minor % of the money from newcastles 2nd year relegation payments which will be around £250k, this would buy a quility player though!

each Championship club will get £2.5m next season fron sky. If Newcastle ans WBA go up as they will then 2 x £11m parachute payments will be divided between all championship clubs next season which is another £900 000. Dont know what impact promotion will have on sponsorship etc

We may be better of by £5m next season but we were spending more than we could really afford this season, then wages & signing on fees are part of the playing budget so I don''t expect Lambert to given any more than maybe £2m tops, its up to him to offload players in order to have anymore.

[quote user="Mustachio Furioso"][quote user="Norfolk Lutonian "]

[/quote]

Good luck selling Jamie Cureton and Paul McVeigh, they are both out of contract at the end of the season.

[/quote]

Well whatever...they need to go

" We don''t have a pot to pi.ss in, do we? "

All too true.

20,000 season ticket sales is hardly likely to

bring in any money is it. Advertising and sponsorship will drop to almost zero now we have moved up a division. TV rights money also stops I believe.

What of the banks ? Look how the failed to support us. Look how many players we had to sell this season to make ends meet, with out being able to bring in one single player.

That wretched hotel must be costing us a fortune as well. What are the costs of maintaining the bits and pieces of land around the ground that we owe. How much is it costing us to have Delia on the telly, eh ? You tell me.

No, it needs binners like pablo to point out out flat broke we are. Just a shame we can''t emulate his club.

" Hello, is that Norwich printers ? About last months programme printing bill, well you can ...... !

"St John''s ambulance, you can f.... o..."

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]each Championship club will get £2.5m next season fron sky. If Newcastle ans WBA go up as they will then 2 x £11m parachute payments will be divided between all championship clubs next season which is another £900 000. Dont know what impact promotion will have on sponsorship etc[/quote]

Interesting point, not one I have heard before. Is this based upon fact or supposition ?

lets hope lambert can use knowledge of the lower leagues to bring in players,

as well as using his connections at Villa with Martin ONeil, Fabien Delph or Nathan Delfouneso will do lol.

and then maybe a young Scottish player. along the lines of Graham Dorrans at West Brom signed for peanuts last season, he has walked the Championship this year and is now meant to be worth 4/5 million!!

On the topic of young Scots, there is a young striker at Dundee called Leigh Griffiths, only 19 and has already scored 42 goals in pro football. WBA had a deal lined up last summer but it fell through when Mowbray left.

Cant see us spending loads on transfer fees - although wages may be a different matter.

But the key is what extra money will there be compared to this year?  In truth the vast majority if not all of us just dont have a clue;  but my uneducated guess will be a player budget larger by just 10%  including transfers etc

Rather than starting a new thread, I thought it appropriate to ask the question here...Looking at our current squad, many of the players have Championship experience. Obviously it is a new regime and players grow, develop and Lambert must take some credit for that.  But how many of our players who were mediocre at best in the Championship last year can we really expect to push us into the playoffs next year?  Can Lambert really have that much of a affect on players like Doherty?  Doherty is a great example as he has been absolutely superb for us this year, yet many on this board (myself included) thought he was a sub-par Championship Center Back last year. Will Hoolahan be able to be as creative and get as much space next year as he has this year?  I feel that the diamond will not be nearly as effective one level up as it was for us this year.  The one player I do see improving over past Championship performances is Chris Martin.  That''s just my take. Of course we can all aim for the playoffs, and it is a worthy goal, but realistically, we have seen how many of these players have fared in the Championship.  Is Lambert enough of a difference to make those players from Relegation-level players like the were last year to the playoff/promotion contending players we hope for next year?

[quote user="newyorkcanary"]Rather than starting a new thread, I thought it appropriate to ask the question here...

Looking at our current squad, many of the players have Championship experience. Obviously it is a new regime and players grow, develop and Lambert must take some credit for that.  But how many of our players who were mediocre at best in the Championship last year can we really expect to push us into the playoffs next year?  Can Lambert really have that much of a affect on players like Doherty? 

Doherty is a great example as he has been absolutely superb for us this year, yet many on this board (myself included) thought he was a sub-par Championship Center Back last year. Will Hoolahan be able to be as creative and get as much space next year as he has this year?  I feel that the diamond will not be nearly as effective one level up as it was for us this year.  The one player I do see improving over past Championship performances is Chris Martin.  That''s just my take. Of course we can all aim for the playoffs, and it is a worthy goal, but realistically, we have seen how many of these players have fared in the Championship.  Is Lambert enough of a difference to make those players from Relegation-level players like the were last year to the playoff/promotion contending players we hope for next year?
[/quote]Yes i honestly think he can[Y] at last we have a football manager and a dam good one at that...the board i think realise this and imo will back him to the hilt.

We have a good nucleus to the squad, we do need to add some more quality and im hoping the board can back Lambert to do this...Im already really looking forward to next season and hope the winning mentality can continue and we push on(plays offs hopefully)i do think automatic promotion is a stretch to far tho(but ya never know) [Y] OTBC

By the end of this season we should have scored about 90 league goals and let in about 45[ 7 on the first day]. with the same group of players in a higher division we can be expected to score a lot less and let more in. My guess and it is only that would be that holt, martin and hoolahan between them would score 20 odd fewer goals and the defence may let in another 20 odd more. That would give us a near break even goal difference which would be mid table. The unknown factor is new players

Personally I feel Doherty is a better player than last season, he appears to have lost weight and through confidence reads the game, I would have no problem with the Doc staying. As for Hoolahan I really don''t know I thought his game had improved a lot under Lambert but a few games lately he has been marked out of it, but I still like him and feel we are better when he plays.As for the others I agree with you regarding Martin I think he will push on next season again and score for us, Smith I hope will continue to improve along with Johnson, Askou, McNamee and Adeyemi.I feel we have some players who will thrive at Championship level (is it still too early to assume thats where we will be), Whitbread, Drury , Holt and Russell will be no problem and hopefully a couple of the young bucks from the likes of McDonald , Dawkin, Francomb ,Stephens and Habergham will push on.

I thought last season Doherty was 1 of the few decent performers despite having a different partner on a weekly basis.

He was superb the year we finished 9th and won POTS, he''s far more experienced now and better for the past few years disappointments.

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]We are virtually in the chapionship again and if reports are to be believed Lambert has already been promised cash to strengthen the squad. My rough estimate is that the club will be £5m or so better off than being in league 1 but a chunk of that will be earmarked to reduce the debt. I would guess that he will be given @ £2m to strengthen the squad. With a shrewd eye that can still go a long way these days. I fancy he will buy a couple of top performers from league 1 with the cash plus the odd out of contract player. There may be some good targets from the league 1 teams that fail with promotion and Bristol Rovers have a good scoring midfielder though i forget his name. Also the Forster issue will have to be progressed, possibly an extended loan as i think he would be exposed in the premiership at the moment[/quote]How did you work out £5million? You may be right, but I struggle to see that at the moment. I think the financial benefits of moving from League 1 to Championship is minimal, while the costs in bonuses and wage increases to players may actually be bigger. That''s before we''ve even thought about bringing in new players with bigger wages still.

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]Chris lines is the Bristol Rovers player that has great potential. 25 years old, midfielder 6ft 2 ins and scored 10 from M/F this season[/quote]

Good call - a very impressive midfielder. As for the other suggestions, we need to stay clear of too many loan players, as they have proved to be a problem in the past on the whole.

might be too much money and a bit risky but what about Charlie Austin. scored alot of goals this season. Maybe back up for martin or Holt,

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]I thought last season Doherty was 1 of the few decent performers despite having a different partner on a weekly basis. He was superb the year we finished 9th and won POTS, he''s far more experienced now and better for the past few years disappointments.[/quote]

Too right!

When people talk about last season, the Docs name pops up quite often as if to say he was a major contributor!

Along with Clingan, the Doc was head and shoulders above all other players last season. He was far superior to messrs Stefanovic and Kennedy who were meant to be better!

Lamberts ambitious and along with Mcnally and Bowkett are not afraid to understate Norwich City FC''s undoubted potential so aren''t going to fanny about!

I''m sure the board will be giving Lambert reasonable funds to play with and Lamberts proved this season that he has an eye for a bargain!

I see no reason with everything why we can''t make a serious bid for promotion next season. Look at what Leicester have done this season and the championship without Newcastle and West Brom with weaker sides coming down from the Premier isn''t going to be that wonderful?

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]Chris lines is the Bristol Rovers player that has great potential. 25 years old, midfielder 6ft 2 ins and scored 10 from M/F this season[/quote]

I thought that their left sided player (Lambert?) was the best wide left player I have seen at Carrow Road this season

if WBA get promoted i would love to see Simon Cox come on loan for the season, maybe his wages would be a lot but he would get the goals. It would be good to get Lines or Bailey as well.both decent midfielder''s. but i bet Lambert will pull some strings and get some good player to strengthen the squad you can count on that

[quote user="City1st"]" We don''t have a pot to pi.ss in, do we? " All too true. 20,000 season ticket sales is hardly likely to bring in any money is it. Advertising and sponsorship will drop to almost zero now we have moved up a division. TV rights money also stops I believe. What of the banks ? Look how the failed to support us. Look how many players we had to sell this season to make ends meet, with out being able to bring in one single player. That wretched hotel must be costing us a fortune as well. What are the costs of maintaining the bits and pieces of land around the ground that we owe. How much is it costing us to have Delia on the telly, eh ? You tell me. No, it needs binners like pablo to point out out flat broke we are. Just a shame we can''t emulate his club. " Hello, is that Norwich printers ? About last months programme printing bill, well you can ...... ! "St John''s ambulance, you can f.... o..."[/quote]

"20,000 season tickets"....."23,000,000 in debt"

What City1st is trying to say is that we aren''t as skint as the board would like to make out.

Half of that £23M debt is a long term loan that is comfortably being paid off so the figure is misleading!

We always find the money when we really have/want to!

£700,000 for the seasons loan of the mostly not imprsseive Ryan Bertrand last season springs to mind!

Roedernowhere thought we were too skint to sack him!

Anyway money isn''t everything when you''ve got a decent manger who can get the best out of the players at his disposal, knows the lower Leagues and can sniff out a bargain!

Also the fact we''re a club with the potential to be much bigger than we are at present and the regular big near sell out crowds are attractive to better players!