Sign in to follow this  
Appletonandy

Left & right midfield

Evening all,

am I the only one to wonder why we don''t play Macnamee in the left? I personally do not feel that Lappin has played particularly well recently and would like to see (assuming that we will be continuing with 442 for the time being) Macnamee on the left with Hughes on the right.

Drury is by far our best left-back and does not need extra defensive cover from left midfield (as proven by his pairing with Huckerby in the past).

I would also like to see Spillane again at right back but that''s another topic!

It''s a potential option, or even Smith out on the right, not sure we can get away with Hoolahan & McNamee both outwide. Certainly something for Lambert to look at in the summer, because i don''t think we have the players to play a balanced 4-4-2 successfully.

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]It''s a potential option, or even Smith out on the right, not sure we can get away with Hoolahan & McNamee both outwide. Certainly something for Lambert to look at in the summer, because i don''t think we have the players to play a balanced 4-4-2 successfully.[/quote]

When have we ever played McNamee and Hoolahan both out wide?

"When have we ever played McNamee and Hoolahan both out wide?"

I''m sure at times whilst Russell was suspended last month we had both outwide.

Not sure against a decent side we can get away with it so we need a right sided player if we''re to play 4-4-2.

Actually, both were in the team when Russell was suspended but Wes played central midfield and Lappin played wide.  Eg Yeovil.  Wes did surprisingly well and got some good tackles in. 

I don''t think that Wes has played on the wing since Lambert arrived.

I think there''s sense in this (hughes wide right i mean).

Either him or Korey with the other one partnering Russell in the middle.

All this is assuming Hooly is out. Still don''t know where he goes in a 4-4-2 anyway.

Alternative is flat 4-3-3 like we used second half of our champ winning season. That would see Holt flanked by Martin and Oli J up top, and Hughes/Smith, Russell and Macca in the middle 3.