Sign in to follow this  
Largey

Sideway/Backwards Passing - The Moaners!

It gets on my wick when people moan and groan in the stands whenever a City player passes backwards or sideways to a team-mate.

All that is shouted is ''Play it forward! You''re going the wrong way!'' etc etc.

Has anyone ever heard of ball retention/possession football?! I''d rather see our players keep the ball and pass it around the park looking for an opening, than hoofing it upfield hoping Holt/Martin win a flick-on.

If there is no one available to pass to in front of you, you play to the man in space, usually behind. The opponents can do nothing when we have the ball!

It is funny, me and my brother commented on that today. Barcelona do it and everyone purs over what they do, we do it and we''re being negative!! Thing is when there isn''t anything on and the ball is played forward, its normally intercepted and theres even more moaning!!! It''s a no win situation!

Very true-lots of this type of groaning in front of me in River End upper if we pass back or sideways. I noticed this a few weeks ago and commented to someone that having watched the Brazil v Ireland game at the Emirates, Brazil completed a passing move, keeping possession for about 22 or 23 passes and I think they then scored (or at least came close-can''t remember) We then did something similar at the next home game which unfortunately was not appreciated in the same way!

[quote user="Largey"]

It gets on my wick when people moan and groan in the stands whenever a City player passes backwards or sideways to a team-mate.

All that is shouted is ''Play it forward! You''re going the wrong way!'' etc etc.

Has anyone ever heard of ball retention/possession football?! I''d rather see our players keep the ball and pass it around the park looking for an opening, than hoofing it upfield hoping Holt/Martin win a flick-on.

If there is no one available to pass to in front of you, you play to the man in space, usually behind. The opponents can do nothing when we have the ball!

[/quote]

This is true, we were sitting very deep in the first half though! 

[quote user="Largey"]

[/quote]

You have to remember that alot of the people that go to watch the games do not/ have never played football themselves! Well not properly anyway!

And yes i agree, when i have been to watch games (midweek games are all I see now due to playing at weekends) all you hear is people moaning about your point, along with offside decisions and refereeing decisions. Even though most are clear cut you will get people moaning and sounding very stupid to people who actually understand the game!

It annoys me aswell it has been happening all seasonI feel for the players when there is no clear option forward if they pass it back people boo if they hoof it up field and lose it people boo

It''s the one thing I dislike about going to games, to be honest.I find it really hard to bite my tongue at some of the absolute crap that I hear spouted. I stood in the loo queue at half time being treated to three blokes behind me reassuring each other that they were right to believe that Russell Martin is one of the worst players to EVER play for City and isn''t in Semmy''s league, and then during the game I had the same two muppets as last week slagging every move that Chris Martin made, because he''s "so bloody lazy".

I don''t believe that playing football to a decent level gives you a divine right to think your opinions more valuable, but surely watching every week must give some insight to these people?

Unfortunately to a large chunk of the support you must, in order to be rated:

1.Run around like a headless chicken for 90 minutes.

2. Get rid of the ball when any opponenent is within 5 yards.

3. Always play the ball forward, even if nothing''s on.

4.Always cross as early as possible regardless of how few teammates are in the box.

5 Dive into tackles.

6. Not be Anthony McNamee.

7. Not come from Beccles.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

It''s the one thing I dislike about going to games, to be honest.I find it really hard to bite my tongue at some of the absolute crap that I hear spouted. I stood in the loo queue at half time being treated to three blokes behind me reassuring each other that they were right to believe that Russell Martin is one of the worst players to EVER play for City and isn''t in Semmy''s league, and then during the game I had the same two muppets as last week slagging every move that Chris Martin made, because he''s "so bloody lazy".

I don''t believe that playing football to a decent level gives you a divine right to think your opinions more valuable, but surely watching every week must give some insight to these people?

Unfortunately to a large chunk of the support you must, in order to be rated:

1.Run around like a headless chicken for 90 minutes.

2. Get rid of the ball when any opponenent is within 5 yards.

3. Always play the ball forward, even if nothing''s on.

4.Always cross as early as possible regardless of how few teammates are in the box.

5 Dive into tackles.

6. Not be Anthony McNamee.

7. Not come from Beccles.

[/quote]

The quotation you are looking for is:- "There are none so blind as those who do not want to see"[;)]

I sat in the wensom today and was shocked by the river ends moaning when passing backwards. I''m a season ticket holder in the snake pit and you dont seem to get the same moans. I think the river end moaners are just followers 1 starts and they all join in.

And the same people moan even more when we hit a ball forward to nobody. Strangely they dont realise that gunhoe attractive football inthe modern game wins you nothing

I''m glad i''m not the only one annoyed by this then!

Another instance occured today, when nearing injury time a corner/free kick had come in, and the ball landed at the feet of Whitbread. I think 17/18 of the players were within 25 yards of goal, and then 2/3 Stockport defenders on the halfway line. Whitbread had a bit of space in a corner of the penalty box and was under no real threat. Enter a chorus of ''BOOT IT! F**K SAKE CLEAR IT!'' when Whitbread kept hold of the ball and looked for Holt/Martin to break away from the box and latch onto a long pass. Don''t these people realise that if we boot it out, it''s only going to come straight back at us in 5 seconds time? He then got slated for clearing it straight to a Stockport player on the halfway line, 10 seconds after they shouted at him to do exactly that!

I also understand that these players are highly paid professionals, who should be at the peak of their fitness. But please, (example) Chris Martin has just has his socks off for 85 minutes. He does not need to chase a long pass which inevitably is going out for a goal kick whether he runs after it or not. Do not therefore slate him for being lazy and unfit!

I agree that retaining possession is better than rushing things and being caught on the break BUT today I think it was unnerving to see City failing to penetrate a bottom of the table side who didn''t ''park the bus''. 

What frustrated me was the lack of pace in the movement of the ball. Too often County were able to chase down the City options and the sideways passing left Smith, Lappin or R.Martin closed down and losing possession.   

Whether we played so poorly due to the loss of Hoolahan or due to the effects of playing 80 minutes with ten men three days ago shouldn''t really matter. Three points was all that counted.

It too drives me insane that some people are never pleased whatever style of football we try to play. It really wound me up when, despite being 2-1 up, people around me were still moaning and groaning about every sideways pass.

However, I also think that sometimes, today included, we fail to play with enough tempo. This is especially true when we score early in games. Passing the ball is great but there has to be a purpose to the passing otherwise you are never going to break a team down.  We are not Barcelona an don''t have the players to pull off brilliant incisive passes so the practice of keeping the ball has to coupled with some form of directness

I think that the frustration was warranted upon occasions.

As a pro footballer (or even at semi-pro level) you''re taught to have a mental picture of what''s going on around you. Before you collect a pass, you have a 360 degree look around you to see where the next two or three passes can go (take a look at Paul Scholes for an example of how this is done).

At times today, some of our players didn''t do this for whatever reason, Korey Smith being the main ''offender''. There were a number of occasions when play could have been switched quickly to the opposite flank if our players had been awake, thereby overloading the midfield / defence. I think that the Tranmere game made some of our lads mentally tired and it showed.

I''m sure that a rest over the next few days will rectify this.        

I think the frustration today (and we have seen it in other games), is that having so much possession but not translating that into goals always leaves you wondering if you are going to concede a fluky goal and it ends up 2-2.

A third goal today would have made it far more comfortable.

"You have to remember that alot of the people that go to watch the games do not/ have never played football themselves! Well not properly anyway!"

Sadly a far higher proportion now. It leads many to spout meaningless guff they''ve heard others. Many also seem to regard the game as if it were something like golf where there are only their players on the pitch.

I''m sure some of these halfwits get a selection of football phrases with their season tickets and are encouraged to shout them out at random points during the game to gain a sense of involvement. A way of enhancing their ''experience''.

Perhaps the moaners should just think for a second that hearing moans and jeers around the ground is EXACTLY what the opposition are trying to achieve, and by falling into the trap they are essentially supporting the other team.

To be honest, I couldn''t give a toss what people around me say or think...unless they are talking directly to me.

The rantings of football supporters up and down the country, unless called out in unison i.e. chanting, or shouted at players, within the hearing of those players, are generally their private thoughts and need no response from anyone bar their immediate company.

Its their passion, excitement and yes! sometimes lack of knowledge of the game that causes them to utter forth absolute drivel, but that is their prerogative. Live and let live eh?

I have no problem with backwards and or sideways passing. While we have the ball we are in control. Its true that yesterday the ball went too slowly through midfield, lacking the incisiveness we have shown in the past, but we won and i have no doubt that on another day we could have scored a hatful. Lets hope that other day is next saturday.

[quote user="Puzzy magnet "]

The moaning yesterday was absurd. Sadly a large section of our support are idiots.

Very short memories.

[/quote]

Its really strange. The worst I have seen for this is Aston Villa, constantly their fans boo their team and particular players. They strangely seem to have it in for Abonglahor. The unfortunate outcome of this ( ie when you are doing well and still get stick ) is that people consider their positions. Most of it comes from fans making out that their team is something they are not. In our instance we are a 1st division team and cannot be doing any better than we are as there is not a place above top. Already people are compareing the players to top championship players but compare them to league 1 players instead and I am sure you will agree that we have top players all over the pitch. Every player makes mistakes, the differences being that the top players makes less mistakes, and are of course a yard faster ect. If all our players were flawless every game we would possibly get to the premiership. But that is football in most games only a certain % hit top form on the same day. Had Doc played yesterday and played like Whitbread lots would have forgotten the rest of the season and the message boards would have lit up with Doc has had his good games now he is back to where he was, not o well you cant expect him to be good every game, which would have probably been said of Holt.

We are top of the league. We are the best team in the league, we are the fittest team in the league. We have the ball, the other team don''t. The other team has to run to get the ball from us. They will get tired. We will take advantage. We will create chances, and we will score. We have done this all season.

Its all about opinions, yes there are alot of people who do talk alot of rubbish but they are entitled as much as anyone else to have their say, we all pay our money every season so we have to sit in silence....???

"You have to remember that alot of the people that go to watch the games do not/ have never played football themselves! Well not properly anyway!"

I don''t understand this opinion. I really don''t. I haven''t ever played football properly so maybe that''s it. I don''t know what I would see that I don''t now. I mean I can already tell when there is a fullback in acres of space or when there are as many players in the box as there are going to be so holding the cross won''t help. I know there are times to hoof it and times not to. In fact I don''t do any of the heinous crimes listed in this thread.

However, my suggestion to those who hold this view is Watch a game on TV and listen to the ex-players that are commentating. Then come back and try to defend the idea that having played football seriously stops you spouting meaningless drivel about a match.

My counter theory is that some people are idiots and so say stupid things.

You can always tell a good player, because they rarely give the ball away cheaply.Possession is king and quality players will hold on to the ball even when the crowd decide to barrack them for doing so.  Of course you need a cutting edge too, but we have had it in spades this season in this division.  I really do not see where the problem is.  If a player gives the ball away often because a few numb nuts in the crowd are barracking him then it really does not say too much about the quality of that player.

[quote user="Fellas"]We are top of the league. We are the best team in the league, we are the fittest team in the league. We have the ball, the other team don''t. The other team has to run to get the ball from us. They will get tired. We will take advantage. We will create chances, and we will score. We have done this all season.
[/quote]

Totally agree Fellas, This is why we have scored so many goals in the final third of games.

I made this point loudly at the game.  There is a prat who sits behind me who continually gets upset and shouts "forward" if we pass to retain possession.  Any pass that is not heading towards the opposition goal is met with howls of derision.It is madness and just shows how many people watch football but have no bloody clue about it.  Possession is everything, it gains confidence, allows you to control that game and wears the opposition down as they chase the ball.Watch Man Utd, they stroke it around almost meaninglessly at times, just to keep the bloody thing.People do not want us to play "hoofball" yet scream at the players when they try to do anything other than play it.morons.

My friends (and others around me) tended to complain about the exact same thing, to which i promptly pointed out that i''d rather them pass along the back four until movement, space, and a forward space becomes available, rather than hoofing it up to Chrissy Martin and praying to god something good happens.And "People do not want us to play "hoofball" yet scream at the players when they try to do anything other than play it." by ref89 pretty much sums it up for me.