Sign in to follow this  
Clint

Is Russell Martin The Current Scapegoat???

What''s with all the Russell Martin bashing? I''m not sure whether its just where I sit where people seem to hate him or is this common amongst the City fans?

He''s not set the world alight since he''s been here and he didn''t have a great game today (only Nelson of the new look back 4 did) but he looks pretty solid to me.

I''d have thought our so-called fans would be pretty happy with the current situation but yet we still seem to have to have a moan about something!

People always slag someone off, he is steady not brilliant today but hell of improvement on semi. It was Lappin getting slagged off the other week. thought he had good game today.

He wants too many touches, slow getting back and is skinned far too easily by quicker players.  However, he is far superior to Otsemabor.  Still think Spillaine would be the better choice and if Martin has one or two more games like todays then I feel Spillaine will be given that chance.

Martin was poor today. Whether that is because he was carrying a knock or not is to be found out. Either way he was unfit + tired today. He''s not a bad player, but he''s an average performer, so if he''s not a 100% he''s going to stand out with a lacklustre performance.

Fans will pick up on any player making more than a couple of mistakes, and Martin Russell made a fist full of them today. His passing and distribution was awful. I must stress that this was todays performance and so far he''s been great. He is still infinately better than the lazy good for nothing tool he replaced.

I think Fridays game had some bearing on todays performance too. Having played as well as they did for most of the game with 10 men must of taken a bit out of them and then having to play 2 days later is hard to ask for more.

Today he really did have a bad game.  I think he is a generally poor defender anyway.  Some games he has been steady but as soon as he comes up agaisnt anyone half decent he is out of his depth.  Today down Stockports left they were tearing him apart at times.  Overall he is very slow over to the winger when he has the ball and then gets skinned far to easily.  When Spillane is fit he has to be first choice.

[quote user="Bungay Canary"]how can he be prefererd to Micky Spillane . today he was shocking[/quote]

Because he''s a better and a more experienced player, basically.

[quote user="Boyo"]Some games he has been steady but as soon as he comes up agaisnt anyone half decent he is out of his depth.[/quote]Such as?[quote]When Spillane is fit he has to be first choice.[/quote]He is fit.  He''s still not in the team.  Go figure.Having said that, yes, he had a really bad day but most players did to be honest.

Here we go again, the old "give a dog a bad name " routine. Martin played some poor balls today (although he often had little movement to hit ahead of him), but he stuck at it and made some good covering tackles. The lad has a decent football brain but, of course, doesn''t simply pin back his ears and run like St John of Otsemebor(  retrospectively canonised) . Of course, if you don''t run very fast a lot, dive into tackles or pass the ball forward at all times you are, by definition, crap in the eyes of some of the morons in the crowd. The best example is, of course, Chrissy, who again attracted loads of stick despite working well with Holt and hitting the post twice.

[quote user="Beauseant"]Here we go again, the old "give a dog a bad name " routine. Martin played some poor balls today (although he often had little movement to hit ahead of him), but he stuck at it and made some good covering tackles. The lad has a decent football brain but, of course, doesn''t simply pin back his ears and run like St John of Otsemebor(  retrospectively canonised) . Of course, if you don''t run very fast a lot, dive into tackles or pass the ball forward at all times you are, by definition, crap in the eyes of some of the morons in the crowd. The best example is, of course, Chrissy, who again attracted loads of stick despite working well with Holt and hitting the post twice.[/quote]Amen.

[quote user="Clint"]What''s with all the Russell Martin bashing? I''m not sure whether its just where I sit where people seem to hate him or is this common amongst the City fans? [/quote]Yes, but it''ll be someone else next week.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"][quote user="Boyo"]Some games he has been steady but as soon as he comes up agaisnt anyone half decent he is out of his depth.[/quote]

Such as?

[quote]When Spillane is fit he has to be first choice.[/quote]

He is fit.  He''s still not in the team.  Go figure.

Having said that, yes, he had a really bad day but most players did to be honest.
[/quote]

I can''t name any of the wingers he played agaisn''t because I don''t know their names but anytime there is a quick winger with a good footballing brain he struggles.  Ii''m not syaing that there are some games where he is totally run ragged but at different points in games there comes a point where he is skinned by a player far to easily.

Spillane is fit yes, but he has not been for a long time and has only just come back to the bench when I say fit I mean he has made a sub appearance or something like that.  As soon as he makes an appearance I''m sure Spillane will soon be in the team.

[quote user="Boyo"]

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"][quote user="Boyo"]Some games he has been steady but as soon as he comes up agaisnt anyone half decent he is out of his depth.[/quote]

Such as?

[quote]When Spillane is fit he has to be first choice.[/quote]

He is fit.  He''s still not in the team.  Go figure.

Having said that, yes, he had a really bad day but most players did to be honest.
[/quote]

I can''t name any of the wingers he played agaisn''t because I don''t know their names but anytime there is a quick winger with a good footballing brain he struggles.  Ii''m not syaing that there are some games where he is totally run ragged but at different points in games there comes a point where he is skinned by a player far to easily.

Spillane is fit yes, but he has not been for a long time and has only just come back to the bench when I say fit I mean he has made a sub appearance or something like that.  As soon as he makes an appearance I''m sure Spillane will soon be in the team.

[/quote]

If Russell Martin is skinned too easily then what is Spillane, with only a fraction of the experience and no pace at all, going to be like?

Spillane is alright for backup but if you think he''s going to come in and make right back his own I think you''re going to be disappointed.

He''s a bit overrated, by some of us, I think.

Give the guy a break I say every player has there ups and downs and less hope there are more ups!! Surely slurring players all the time you are slurring the management team that brought him to Carrow Road in the first place??!

I don''t think he will be able to cope in the Championship. He''s better and more steady then Otsemobor, but he still doesn''t fill me with confidence. Spillane does however, and I think he should be our first choice right back. He was doing an excellent job at the start of the season before the injury.

[quote user="They Call Me Gary"]He wants too many touches, slow getting back and is skinned far too easily by quicker players.  However, he is far superior to Otsemabor.  Still think Spillaine would be the better choice and if Martin has one or two more games like todays then I feel Spillaine will be given that chance.[/quote]

Once we are up I expect Spillane, Adeyemi, Daley etc will get a game or two. Russell Martin was awful today but has had some solid games for us in some tricky situations (wycombe away particularly comes to mind). I also thought Whitbread and Russell were particularly poor in patches - Russell has developed this nasty habit of letting the ball run across him and losing possession. I think he has been watching Chelsea too much. Darrel, you''re not that good; just do the basics.

On the positive side, Nelson was comfortably my MOM after another solid centre back display.

Spillane, no pace? Really? You actually ever seen him? To me, he looks pretty quick, very tough in the challenge, "two" good feet (which is a rare commodity these days), he''s strong in the air and whats more he seems to have a little more desire to make an impact when he gets forward! I haven''t seen Russell Martin have too many great games either, he seems lethargic to me and certainly clueless going forward. I just think that because Otsemobor was so dire that we''d think bollard positioned in the right back slot would be a God send! Spillane is a better player, i''m sure of that. Haven''t seem enough of him but when i have he''s impressed me with the above mentioned attributes! I think had he not pulled up with a hamstring injury he''d still be in the team to be honest as lambert seemed keen.Also, having an opinion that a bench player is a better option than a current first-teamer doesn''t mean he''s being scapegoated as far as I''m concerned. I''d never boo him, or slate him at the game, however, i would prefer Spillane to be playing!

[quote user="Clint"]What''s with all the Russell Martin bashing? I''m not sure whether its just where I sit where people seem to hate him or is this common amongst the City fans? He''s not set the world alight since he''s been here and he didn''t have a great game today (only Nelson of the new look back 4 did) but he looks pretty solid to me. I''d have thought our so-called fans would be pretty happy with the current situation but yet we still seem to have to have a moan about something![/quote]

Agree with you Clint, RM is a good , steady right back. I like his attitude and he does a great job for us. Christ why is everybody moaning about him? We won the game, 3 points, shut shop...

[quote user="DGC"]Spillane, no pace? Really? You actually ever seen him? To me, he looks pretty quick, very tough in the challenge, "two" good feet (which is a rare commodity these days), he''s strong in the air and whats more he seems to have a little more desire to make an impact when he gets forward!

I haven''t seen Russell Martin have too many great games either, he seems lethargic to me and certainly clueless going forward. I just think that because Otsemobor was so dire that we''d think bollard positioned in the right back slot would be a God send!

Spillane is a better player, i''m sure of that. Haven''t seem enough of him but when i have he''s impressed me with the above mentioned attributes! I think had he not pulled up with a hamstring injury he''d still be in the team to be honest as lambert seemed keen.

Also, having an opinion that a bench player is a better option than a current first-teamer doesn''t mean he''s being scapegoated as far as I''m concerned. I''d never boo him, or slate him at the game, however, i would prefer Spillane to be playing!
[/quote]

And this is what I mean by overrated.

Look at how you''ve described Russell Martin and look how you''ve described Spillane. Anyone would think we''ve got someone like Dani Alves, Maicon or even Glen Johnson sitting on the bench just waiting to be unleashed as soon as the manager realises that he needs to replace the "lethargic" and "clueless" Martin. Deary me.

We''ll see though. If Spillane goes on to be a regular first choice right back for us then I''ll certainly accept I''m wrong. But I feel pretty confident that he''s not good enough for that.