Sign in to follow this  
CDMullins

Which of this years side could realistically.....

Cut it in the Championship?

Based on Lamberts most used side, Id say.

Foster - Certainally could. Hope we keep him, Newcastles promotion should give us more chance of keeping him.

R Martin - Failed to impress at this level, Championship one step beyond.

Drury - Safe as houses. Been there before.

Doc - Been Ok before, proved against Beckford he can do it.

Nelson - Absolutly not,contributes nothing with the ball

Russell - Been there before, not really stood out this year but would be OK.

Lappin - No chance, just not got enough

Smith - Raw talent, really hope he can shine, massive season for him, unfortunatly if he really kicks on, he might not be at NCFC the following season.

Wes - Im not a fan of Wes, hes done well stats wise this season, but again I think the championship would be too much for him

Holt - Will probably not be as prolific, but certainlly not out of his depth. He''ll still be our stand out man next season

Martin - Again like Smith, its a massive chance for him. When he turns it on he''s class. 

For me, We really need a right-back, a centre half (unless Zak is going to fit in there) and if Lambert is going to insist on playing the diamond next season 2 central midfielders to play with Smith and Wes.

Foster - Certainally could. Hope we keep him, Newcastles promotion

should give us more chance of keeping him.

R Martin - Failed to impress at this level, Championship one step

beyond.

Nelson - Absolutly not,contributes nothing with the ball - Disagree with that. he is a rock at the back he does what a centre back should do

Russell - Been there before, not really stood out this year but would

be OK.

Smith - Raw talent, really hope he can shine, massive season for him,

unfortunatly if he really kicks on, he might not be at NCFC the

following season.

Wes - Im not a fan of Wes, hes done well stats wise this season, but

again I think the championship would be too much for him - championship is his level.. leauge 1 and championship are very diferent styles of football he will do well.

Holt - Will probably not be as prolific, but certainlly not out of

his depth. He''ll still be our stand out man next season

Martin - Again like Smith, its a massive chance for him. When he

turns it on he''s class. 

For me, We really need a right-back, a centre half (unless Zak is

going to fit in there) and if Lambert is going to insist on playing the

diamond next season 2 central midfielders to play with Smith and Wes.

I think that maybe you are over-estimating the Championship CD. Whilst not a top six side, I believe that that team is better than a lot of the current teams playing there.

It is certainly a lot better than the team we had when we went down on the last day. I include a comparison of the two managerial teams in my  estimations.

Once up, it would seem that consolidation has to be the order of the day, as well as beating Ipswich.

It would be nice to be more ambitious, but the financial situation cannot be ignored.

Sorry to throw a curveball but it will greatly depend on whether Lambert can cut it in the championship - his tactical nous will go a long way to determining if the likes of Wes can also cut it.

I take it we are referring to the Championship and not the Premiership. Not too big a leap from the top six of L1 to the bottom half of the Championship. IMHO.

I agree pretty much with your estmations. Must say the Nelson probably deserves a crack at the Champ, ask me that at the turn of the year and the answer would have been different but he has improved. We should learn from the Malky decision and give him a chance. Not sure if Wes fits in with Lamberts longer term plans. Will be interesting how Lambert fairs in the Champ. Not sure how good the scouting set up is, as often seems to take a half to get his tactics spot on and by that time we could be out of games in the champ. Also going all out for the win will fail spectacularly from time to time and how confidence is affected by the inevitable serious beating will show how good he is. Will be interesting to see if he continues to use the gung ho tactic in the champ.

Starting to change my mind about Nelson after Monday''s game - thought he was up there for MOTM.  Looks more and more like Duncan Forbes each week and he cut it in both the old Second and First Divisions.

I have been one of those who has been sceptical about whether Nelson could do it at a higher level. But credit where its due he really held things together on Monday when we looked very dodgy at times. His form has been really good since the turn of the year. I know Whitbread was rusty from not having played much but Nelson was far more dependable. I thought Whitbread was getting far too tight to his man on a lot of occasions. Which meant he was either going to get turned or give away fouls. I thought he made a poor error for the goal in that not only did it get lost under his feet (that can happen) but  he didn''t do enough to recover when Ibhere got the ball and shot.

I am sure from all the rave reviews Whitbread has been given by the fans and the coaching staff that we have an excellent centre back on our hands. Indeed there were glimpses of it on Saturday with some of his passing and heading. However interestingly when Nelson or Doc make similiar mistakes they are both seen as Donkeys who we need to get rid of by an annoying minority of some fans who are not good enough to play at a higher level.

[quote user="CDMullins"]

Foster - Certainally could. Hope we keep him, Newcastles promotion should give us more chance of keeping him.

R Martin - Failed to impress at this level, Championship one step beyond. - Couldn''t cut it for Posh at that level so no.

Drury - Safe as houses. Been there before. -Yup, always underrated.

Doc - Been Ok before, proved against Beckford he can do it. Yeah, although he will be caught out more.

Nelson - Absolutly not,contributes nothing with the ball We need another strong CB. Nelson can be a good stand in.

Russell - Been there before, not really stood out this year but would be OK. He''s stood out loads for work load and distribution this year for me, would do well.

Lappin - No chance, just not got enough - Always makes me wonder what he brings.. then he''ll pop up from nowehere. But I agree nope.

Smith - Raw talent, really hope he can shine, massive season for him, unfortunatly if he really kicks on, he might not be at NCFC the following season. - Will be interesting!

Wes - Im not a fan of Wes, hes done well stats wise this season, but again I think the championship would be too much for him - He''ll do well but get marked out of the game by the better clubs.

Holt - Will probably not be as prolific, but certainlly not out of his depth. He''ll still be our stand out man next season - I agree

Martin - Again like Smith, its a massive chance for him. When he turns it on he''s class. - I agree

For me, We really need a right-back, a centre half (unless Zak is going to fit in there) and if Lambert is going to insist on playing the diamond next season 2 central midfielders to play with Smith and Wes.

[/quote]Zak has a long way to go until he can come in at this level and fight for a space. So Champ level is going to be a big ask. But if he can get the game time I''m sure he''ll get there.

Sorry that last bit about a higher level was meant to refer to Doc and Nelson. Not the fans!

[quote user="CDMullins"]

Smith - Raw talent, really hope he can shine, massive season for him, unfortunatly if he really kicks on, he might not be at NCFC the following season.

Wes - Im not a fan of Wes, hes done well stats wise this season, but again I think the championship would be too much for him

Holt - Will probably not be as prolific, but certainlly not out of his depth. He''ll still be our stand out man next season

Martin - Again like Smith, its a massive chance for him. When he turns it on he''s class. 

[/quote]

Your comments made re Russell Martin and Holt a bit bias, using that theory conveniently for Martin and not Holt is not totally fair as Holt has never succeeded in the Championship and this will be his oppurtunity to show he can cut it this time round. This group of players succeed as a team which can be added to not a group of individuals. I am also beginning to change my overall opinion on Nelson as when him and Doc play together you dont really notice him as they both seem dominant, Nelson on Saturday when he had to cover for our other centre back seemed to be everywhere and it shew how well he reads the game. 

i would keep them all. Those who arent quite up to the mark will still provide good cover. We will need to strengthen the defence and invest in having decent alternatives other than Hoolahan heading the diamond.

[quote user="CDMullins"]

[/quote]

Are you kidding me. The guy could get player of the season, as he has barely put a foot wrong this season.

[quote user="Carra_Rud"][quote user="CDMullins"]

[/quote]

Are you kidding me. The guy could get player of the season, as he has barely put a foot wrong this season.
[/quote]

I second that. He was good in the Champ for Rodents first season in charge too, just seemed a little disillusioned last season to me. Plus he was the only player of ours last season attracting interest from a premier league team.

I thought Darrell Russell was dreadful in our relegation season and while has been OK this term he gives the ball away far too much.

I think he needs to be replaced as first choice is the midfield holing role. Also Russell Martin, Nelson, Hughes and Lappin could struggle in the Championship.

[quote user="barclayendstand"]I thought Darrell Russell was dreadful in our relegation season and while has been OK this term he gives the ball away far too much.

I think he needs to be replaced as first choice is the midfield holing role. Also Russell Martin, Nelson, Hughes and Lappin could struggle in the Championship.[/quote]I disagree with that in the strongest sense of the word.He has been instumental in our season, and has been one of the most consistent players. He has been a revelation compared to last season, almost like a new signing.

I would add Hughes to those who have enough skill at championship level. If not, we need someone with his creativity and passing ability.

I think that Nelson is beginning to show that he could be a no-nonsense stopper, in the Malky mould. I think that we would need a fleeter CD alongside him, rather than Doc, if Nelson is to cut it at that level.

Of the younger players, Martin C should be OK, Korey possibly, Spillane if he develops, and Rudd.

There are several on the fringe who probably will not - Gill, T-J, Wiggins, Adeyemi, possibly Johnson if he cannot up his game. I assume that Elliott will have returned, and Curo and McV let go.

Russell Martin I would have a little more faith in. If Roser/Drury have been exposed down the left, the same applies to Martin.

I think that Hooly should be given the chance. He has played there with some success- he was good for Blackpool against us while playing wide left.

The Diamond served us well, but recently perhaps because of Elliott''s pace we have become more hoofball at times. We badly need two more good midfielders, if the diamond is to work.

The one with the greatest question mark for me is Macnamee. He has probably shown all the potential he has. Why did Swindon let him come on loan when they had promotion ambitions? They have spoken of him as lazy.