Sign in to follow this  
newcastle uni canary

current players compared to old city players

Mcnamee has been compared to Fox, however i have no idea of the acuracy of this being too young (dons tin hat).Grant holt at times reminds me of RobertsKorey Smith looks to me like a gary holt in the making to me.Any others?

[quote user="newcastle uni canary"]Korey Smith looks to me like a gary holt in the making to me.[/quote]Holt was ginger! [:S]

Long way to go for young Korey to read and understand the game like Holt did, he technically wasn''t a great player but his reading of the game was superb, especially alongside Francis, made him look better than he really was.

What about Nelson and Mackay?

Neither particularly great with the ball at their feet but both good at heading and hoofing the ball away from danger.

[quote user="GJP"]

What about Nelson and Mackay?

Neither particularly great with the ball at their feet but both good at heading and hoofing the ball away from danger.

[/quote]

If Nelson adds a few more goals I would think its pretty spot on.

[quote user="newcastle uni canary"]Korey Smith looks to me like a gary holt in the making to me.[/quote]Korey Smith is no Gary Holt, Holt was a no messing hard man, Smith is a better passer but not such a good tackler/reader of the game.Would have been great together!

Grant Holt reminds me of Ron Davies

Daryl Russell reminds me of Trevor Putney.  An aside - Big Trev, was err apparently big[;)] and supposedly he didn''t enjoy playing football, was just in it for the money.

I know its early in his NCFC career but I''d say Holt has more to his game than Roberts (not our biggest IR fan, very rare I know (awaits heavy flack)). Much more dynamic and can take defenders with him a lot more...plus he plays the width of the forward line a lot more. More importantly for us he''s hit the ground running (unlike IR did) albeit a div lower.

and even though Coldplay can bang the in too, Holt has to do C.Martins running as well.

I would agree Holt possibly works the channels harder but Iwan''s hold up play was also high class. Like you point out Holty is also doing it in a division below. However if he performs well for us in the championship I think comparisons will be well justified.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="newcastle uni canary"]Korey Smith looks to me like a gary holt in the making to me.[/quote]Holt was ginger! [:S][/quote]

Still is.

OTBC

I know he''s not current, but Clingan has a touch of the Chippy Crook about him.

I also feel that Lappin & Clint Easton are quite similar - solid, unspectacular, good delivery, sllllow, could both fill in at left back.

I agree with comparison Holt and Roberts, although he''s in league lower, I''m confident Holty will turn on the show in the Championshio too.

Korey smith is technically a better player than Holt. Comparing them is too early! Korey is a young lad who can become a great, great player for us!

I understand the comparison McNamee - Foxy. But Fox played a few leagues higher and tormented fullbacks at the highest level... Don''t think Macnamee has that in him.

[quote user="newcastle uni canary"]Mcnamee has been compared to Fox, however i have no idea of the acuracy of this being too young (dons tin hat).Grant holt at times reminds me of RobertsKorey Smith looks to me like a gary holt in the making to me.Any others?[/quote]

Don''t think Macca has anything like Fox''s pace but possibly more tricks in his box

[quote user="Bungay Canary"]Mc namee reminds me of Mark Rivers good for short spells but most of the time bone idol[/quote]

You judge that on how many apps!?  Glad you aint our manager! As it was mentionend on here about steve bruce playing ###### in his 1 st match and in his first few years the barclay was split on him, and it took fox ages to become a fixture produce and consistant performances(though spurs fans think he was a complete waste of money), ..And another fans favourite was almost disliked by all the barclay in his first season...IWAN, but he came on really strong after that!

RobFleck, I agree-but hope that Korey has the chance to be that great player for us, before he brings in an equally great transfer fee, as will surely happen if he develops and we progress.

Though it would be galling, it would also be a good sign that, once again, we can produce young players and sell them for a fortune. Lets hope that he and Tom A are the start of a steady line ready to step up and not one off''s.

Be interesting to put a team together combining the best of this side and the one that won the Championship, any ideas?

Mine...

Green

Edworthy

Fleming

Doc

Drury

Smith

Francis

Gary Holt

Hucks

Grant Holt

Martin

...mmm, 6 from the CCC side, 4 from the current one and Drury spanning both.

[quote user="spencer 1970"]

I know its early in his NCFC career but I''d say Holt has more to his game than Roberts (not our biggest IR fan, very rare I know (awaits heavy flack)). Much more dynamic and can take defenders with him a lot more...plus he plays the width of the forward line a lot more. More importantly for us he''s hit the ground running (unlike IR did) albeit a div lower.

and even though Coldplay can bang the in too, Holt has to do C.Martins running as well.

[/quote] Im with u spence, for me roberts was /is abit overrated, yes he was the best we had at the time but compared to a modern day striker  would warm the bench. Holt Alltho div 1 still has more to show plus workrate, fitness, and desire all higher . mcnamee to tall to be fox !!!

[quote user="thumb180"][quote user="spencer 1970"]

[/quote] Im with u spence, for me roberts was /is abit overrated, yes he was the best we had at the time but compared to a modern day striker  would warm the bench. Holt Alltho div 1 still has more to show plus workrate, fitness, and desire all higher . mcnamee to tall to be fox !!![/quote]

You tallest!