Sign in to follow this  
Saint Canary

We need another Striker.....

So we can play even more people out of position!  Out of squad of 31 we have 10 players who can play as a striker.  Most of whom now play in midfield (Bentley, Henderson, McVeigh, Huckerby, Jonson).

It seems strange to me that we want to buy a new striker before even trying Bentley and Jonson in that position especially as Jonson seems to have such a fantastic strike-rate when playing up front.  I’m not saying that we don’t require a better goal scorer but I think we should at least see what we already have first!

"Played out of position" or "Utility player", call it what you like but it would appear that this season we must have the largest quota of this type of player than anytime before. Even Hux can only really be described as a forward rather than a striker/winger. Holty has been used a rightback, Flemo and Charlto as fullbacks, Drury as a centreback, To my knowledge only Greeno, Eddie, Damo, Svensson and Super-McK have only been used in their specified position. Is this a good sign? It indicates that either the manager or the player deems the player unable to hold down a specific role in the team and of tinkering of a scale that would have had Ranieri rubbing his eyes in disbelief. A team of "Utility players" will inevitably struggle to get results and perhaps that is what we''re seeing this season more than last.   

Saint Canary, a good and sensible post though, it does raise the issue of whether we actually need another striker before trying out what we''ve got.

Totaly agree with that Saint,

I believe our priority is in midfield, and we should beg borrow or steal to get a class player in that position.

Dare not repeat my suggested player, got shouted down last time.

Go on jim - I can''t remember who you suggested!

I would like to see one REAL, great quality winger at the club. Someone who knows where the byline is, someone who is confident taking their man on with the ball at their feet and most importantly of all, SOMEONE WHO CAN DELIVER A GREAT CROSS/DEAD BALL.

I think we have enough in centre midfield, but Nigel seems to not care for the importance of a winger. Look at how Chelsea have played since Duff/Robben came into the team. And Ronaldo/Giggs at Utd and Pires/Ljunberg at Arse.

There must be someone in Mexico/Senegal/Argentina/Holland or somewhere.... surely?!?!?!

You are right that sort of player would be an asset - but look at the price tags associated with the players you have mentioned - Robben cost, what, £12m+ as a risky untried 20 year old and for every Giggs there is an inconsistent version like Gronkjaer, Rommendahl or Robert who also cost similar multi-millions. Perhaps Etherington is in our price range as an option?Bananaman is right that in many ways we are lucky that our injuries are to Holt & Francis as we DO have a large central midfield section at the club. However at the moment I am not convinced that we are yet to find anyone who is really good enough to partner Francis - a real passing dominating creative player in central midfield is a must in my view but they too cost a fortune.I see Pompey are looking at Julius Agohawa not sure what the price tag is, though I expect it will be well out of our range. There is always Brian Deane or Les Ferdinand...OTBC

I know what you mean re. a plethora of potential attacking players.  But surely quality is more important than quantity when it comes down to it!  I mean you can have 10 possible strikers in the squad, and they all have their great strengths, but that''s no good if there isn''t at least someone regularly on fire putting them away in and around the box.  However I believe we could do well to spend on someone for defence in particular, rather than midfield.  Asking for two (or even one) top quality players for just over a mil might be asking too much (mind you Worthie''s done similar miracles before!).