Sign in to follow this  
No.74

Whitbread on Saturday?

Whitbread wasn''t shocking. He started slowly and when marking a man mountain in Ibhere (spl) it''s never easy.

As someone who has seen a lot of Zak (and had it constantly in his ear about his ability) genus certainly a championship player.

He get better the longer the game went on and rarely wasted a pass but....what else would we do if we weren''t arguing on here despite being top!!

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

Re: Whitbread on Saturday?

No, mine''s a John Smith''s thanks....

[/quote]Haha!  Although you couldn''t be more wrong, give me a nice pint of Wherry any day.  I went to a beer festival in Bournemouth at the weekend hoping to ''broaden my taste buds'' and try a nice new selection of local ales...ended up all reminiscent and getting wasted on Wherry instead!

Whitbred is the best defender we have at the club.

I''ve watched him a lot during his time with Millwall and the blokes immense.

Let him get fit and some games under his belt and you''ll see.

Im pretty sure the worst ever debut (not for City though) must have been Jonathan Woodgate for Real Madrid...

As far as I remember it, he got two own goals and a red card that day!!!! Thats pretty much as bad as it gets surely....unless of course your name happens to be Michael Theoklitis!!!

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="Gazza"][quote user="Legend Iwan"][quote user="Gazza"]

For christs sake get off his back, his first start of the season granted hes made a mistake for their goal but how many has the mighty Doc made over the years? yeah thats right MANY that has seen us relegated this standard of football for the first time in fifty years and made one at Tranmere on Good Friday!

Zak is far more composed with the ball at his feet, a better passer of the ball, better in the air than Doc or Nelson, expect to see  out of the current personel if still available next season Zak & Askou be the regular starters. Nelson is a Div 1 player at best and will be murdered in the championship and Doc has always struggled at this level for pace, I for one would not be suprised if Doc is here next year anyway as he is surely one of our best paid players at the club and is out of contract in the summer and possibly Lambert is thinking he can get a far better centre back for Docs salary?!?!

[/quote]

What a surprise someone with blinkers on when talking about Doc. It is quite clear since Lambert has come into management here the Doc has been rejuvenated and has shown a lot of confidence. If you actually watch Doc this season his cross field balls from the back have been superb as well as chipping in with 6 goals putting him as the highest scorer after the front 3.

Also concerning Whitbread I hope he does really well for us (who wouldn''t) but he was shocking on saturday and it isn''t like he has been locked up in a dark room away from a football this season. He has been able to practice with the rest of the squad, yet his positional play was atrocious and never looked to pass the ball quickly and get things moving.

I''m sure whitbread will improve with match time, but I don''t understand why we can''t analyse a performance by one of our players just because he hasn''t played much this season?

[/quote]

Blinkers?! Did you watch the game versus Tranmere?. Yeah ok Doc has performed OK this year and is certainly no world beater but lets remember we are in Div 3 and he certainly seems to have found his level!

How many mistakes did he make on a regular basis in the championship? yeah thats right quite a few so perhaps it is you my friend that wears blinkers or perhaps yella & green rose tinted specs!?

I stand by my inital comment Whitbread is far superior to any other centre back presently at the club and am confident that this will be proven next season as per Lambert prob thinks hence him stating he was his no1 target to bring to the club.......

[/quote]

So you think, after playing about 10 years in the top two tiers of English league football that it''s just this season that Doherty has found his level? Seems a bit of a silly thing to say to me.

As for mistakes in the Championship...not a lot really. I mean people like you will put that kind of spin on in it to try and make a case to support your argument but those of us who have been watching Norwich over recent years and know a bit about football will know that Gary Doherty has done a fine job in the Championship for us. Unfortunately for us some of his team mates (and managers) wren''t able to perform to the required standard.

Zak Whitbread probably is going to be a good signing but I think he''s only 3 or 4 years younger than the Doc and has done a fraction of what the Doc has done in the game.

We have some good players in our squad but it''s the Doc who has played the most football at the highest level. That should tell you a little something (although it probably won''t).

[/quote]

B@llshit!, 10 years in the top 2 divisions  maybe but Spurs bombed him out for not being good enough and lets face it the demise of NCFC one of the main cornerstones has been Doherty- we have been poor since he signed says a lot for me........

You must have got so used to watching dross that you have become delusional about what makes a good player!, and yes I have watched The Grappler regularly make mistakes in the championship!

I take it this is what you are referring to as doing a fine job in the championship?!?!?! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj86h-CdJhs

[quote user="Gazza"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="Gazza"][quote user="Legend Iwan"][quote user="Gazza"]

For christs sake get off his back, his first start of the season granted hes made a mistake for their goal but how many has the mighty Doc made over the years? yeah thats right MANY that has seen us relegated this standard of football for the first time in fifty years and made one at Tranmere on Good Friday!

Zak is far more composed with the ball at his feet, a better passer of the ball, better in the air than Doc or Nelson, expect to see  out of the current personel if still available next season Zak & Askou be the regular starters. Nelson is a Div 1 player at best and will be murdered in the championship and Doc has always struggled at this level for pace, I for one would not be suprised if Doc is here next year anyway as he is surely one of our best paid players at the club and is out of contract in the summer and possibly Lambert is thinking he can get a far better centre back for Docs salary?!?!

[/quote]

What a surprise someone with blinkers on when talking about Doc. It is quite clear since Lambert has come into management here the Doc has been rejuvenated and has shown a lot of confidence. If you actually watch Doc this season his cross field balls from the back have been superb as well as chipping in with 6 goals putting him as the highest scorer after the front 3.

Also concerning Whitbread I hope he does really well for us (who wouldn''t) but he was shocking on saturday and it isn''t like he has been locked up in a dark room away from a football this season. He has been able to practice with the rest of the squad, yet his positional play was atrocious and never looked to pass the ball quickly and get things moving.

I''m sure whitbread will improve with match time, but I don''t understand why we can''t analyse a performance by one of our players just because he hasn''t played much this season?

[/quote]

Blinkers?! Did you watch the game versus Tranmere?. Yeah ok Doc has performed OK this year and is certainly no world beater but lets remember we are in Div 3 and he certainly seems to have found his level!

How many mistakes did he make on a regular basis in the championship? yeah thats right quite a few so perhaps it is you my friend that wears blinkers or perhaps yella & green rose tinted specs!?

I stand by my inital comment Whitbread is far superior to any other centre back presently at the club and am confident that this will be proven next season as per Lambert prob thinks hence him stating he was his no1 target to bring to the club.......

[/quote]

So you think, after playing about 10 years in the top two tiers of English league football that it''s just this season that Doherty has found his level? Seems a bit of a silly thing to say to me.

As for mistakes in the Championship...not a lot really. I mean people like you will put that kind of spin on in it to try and make a case to support your argument but those of us who have been watching Norwich over recent years and know a bit about football will know that Gary Doherty has done a fine job in the Championship for us. Unfortunately for us some of his team mates (and managers) wren''t able to perform to the required standard.

Zak Whitbread probably is going to be a good signing but I think he''s only 3 or 4 years younger than the Doc and has done a fraction of what the Doc has done in the game.

We have some good players in our squad but it''s the Doc who has played the most football at the highest level. That should tell you a little something (although it probably won''t).

[/quote]

B@llshit!, 10 years in the top 2 divisions  maybe but Spurs bombed him out for not being good enough and lets face it the demise of NCFC one of the main cornerstones has been Doherty- we have been poor since he signed says a lot for me........

You must have got so used to watching dross that you have become delusional about what makes a good player!, and yes I have watched The Grappler regularly make mistakes in the championship!

I take it this is what you are referring to as doing a fine job in the championship?!?!?! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj86h-CdJhs

[/quote]

One of the ''main cornerstones'' has been Gary Doherty?! What are you? some sort of tw@t?

Doherty is not a ''main'' reason we got relegated...and if you think that you cannot be either thinking straight or support NCFC.

[quote user="Norfolk Lutonian "][quote user="Gazza"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="Gazza"][quote user="Legend Iwan"][quote user="Gazza"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

One of the ''main cornerstones'' has been Gary Doherty?! What are you? some sort of tw@t?

Doherty is not a ''main'' reason we got relegated...and if you think that you cannot be either thinking straight or support NCFC.

[/quote]

Players of  Docs standards over the last few years are the reason where we are - Fact! Tw@t! and yes I do support NCFC thanks very much and IMO Doc is one big reason we struggled in the championship....

I take it your confident if he is at the club next season he is the man to build our defence around?

[quote user="Gazza"]

B@llshit!, 10 years in the top 2 divisions  maybe but Spurs bombed him out for not being good enough [/quote]

So a bit like Zak Whitbread not being at Liverpool anymore? Oh dear...you didn''t see that one coming did you?

I mean at least Spurs paid money to bring the Doc to the club, at least he played a fair few games in the Prem and has clocked up a fair number of international caps.

What''s Whitbread done since being told he wasn''t good enough for Liverpool?

[quote user="Gazza"]

I take it your confident if he is at the club next season he is the man to build our defence around?[/quote]

So...if we have a good season next season and the Doc is very much apart of that....I take it you''ll be prepared to come on here and admit that you should have listened to people who know better than you?

[quote user="Gazza"][quote user="Norfolk Lutonian "][quote user="Gazza"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="Gazza"][quote user="Legend Iwan"][quote user="Gazza"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Players of  Docs standards over the last few years are the reason where we are - Fact! Tw@t! and yes I do support NCFC thanks very much and IMO Doc is one big reason we struggled in the championship....

I take it your confident if he is at the club next season he is the man to build our defence around?

[/quote]

You can''t change the goalposts you dickw0d. You said one of the main reasons was Gary Doherty. You did not say ''PLAYERS'' of Doherty''s standard.

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="Gazza"]

B@llshit!, 10 years in the top 2 divisions  maybe but Spurs bombed him out for not being good enough [/quote]

So a bit like Zak Whitbread not being at Liverpool anymore? Oh dear...you didn''t see that one coming did you?

I mean at least Spurs paid money to bring the Doc to the club, at least he played a fair few games in the Prem and has clocked up a fair number of international caps.

[/quote]

In all fairness Zak was released by Liverpool as a youngster, 21 I believe. To further his career he more than likely wanted to move on to get first team football because lets face Hyppia & Carragher were one of the best centre back pairings in Europe at the time. He has played consistently well at Millwall since and lets judge him next season yeah?, if Lambert rates him how highly he does thats good enough for me..

Doc has done ok in Div 3, I will gladly admit if he performs well if he is still here next year but will you admit he is sh1te when he doesn''t perform?

Ps. You failed to mention one of Docs abysmal performances I highlighted to you!?

[quote user="Norfolk Lutonian "][quote user="Gazza"][quote user="Norfolk Lutonian "][quote user="Gazza"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="Gazza"][quote user="Legend Iwan"][quote user="Gazza"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You can''t change the goalposts you dickw0d. You said one of the main reasons was Gary Doherty. You did not say ''PLAYERS'' of Doherty''s standard.

[/quote]

Avoid the question! , typical Norwich fan!

Head firmly stuck in the sand...

[quote user="Gazza"][quote user="Norfolk Lutonian "][quote user="Gazza"][quote user="Norfolk Lutonian "][quote user="Gazza"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="Gazza"][quote user="Legend Iwan"][quote user="Gazza"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Oh you were being serious? Sorry!

Although I don''t think we will ''build the defence around him'' (name one club which has done that) he will be a part of our defence next season due to him being our 1st choice centre-back.

I thought you were a Norwich fan? So you''re saying your head is stuck firmly in the sand?

For me its not about how good a player could be, has been or will be.Doc has been good this season and I doubt he would have lost his place had he not got injured.Did Zak do enough the other day to keep Doc out of the next game if he is fit is the more relevant question, and only one man has the answer to that, my opinion is that he didn''t do quite enough for me.

[quote user="Norfolk Lutonian "][quote user="Gazza"][quote user="Norfolk Lutonian "][quote user="Gazza"][quote user="Norfolk Lutonian "][quote user="Gazza"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="Gazza"][quote user="Legend Iwan"][quote user="Gazza"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Oh you were being serious? Sorry!

Although I don''t think we will ''build the defence around him'' (name one club which has done that) he will be a part of our defence next season due to him being our 1st choice centre-back.

I thought you were a Norwich fan? So you''re saying your head is stuck firmly in the sand?

[/quote]

Thankyou, kind sir!

Like I say I dont rate the player at championship level like many others......

[quote user="Gazza"][quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="Gazza"]

[/quote]

In all fairness Zak was released by Liverpool as a youngster, 21 I believe. To further his career he more than likely wanted to move on to get first team football because lets face Hyppia & Carragher were one of the best centre back pairings in Europe at the time. He has played consistently well at Millwall since and lets judge him next season yeah?, if Lambert rates him how highly he does thats good enough for me..

Doc has done ok in Div 3, I will gladly admit if he performs well if he is still here next year but will you admit he is sh1te when he doesn''t perform?

Ps. You failed to mention one of Docs abysmal performances I highlighted to you!?

[/quote]

Yes, Zak was released by Liverpool at an earlier stage of his career but the fact remains...he wasn''t seen as being good enough. And if they thought he had enough to make it in the Premier League then they''d have stuck by him or he''d have been taken up by another big club and not had to take the drop to Millwall.

You say Lambert rates him highly and that''s good enough for you...

But look who signed Doherty...our last proven/successful manager. And he''s still played more games under Paul Lambert than any other defender so it''s pretty obvious that Lambert think''s a lot of the Doc. Isn''t that good enough for you? Or are you going to have double standards?

If Doc doesn''t do well then I''ll say it. Just like I said at the start of this season when he wasn''t on his game. But I always knew that Doherty is plenty good enough a player to come back from a setback. Which has been the case.

As for the highlight you selected... it was the Burnley game from what....3 and a half years ago??? If you''re still holding that against him then you''re a lost cause.

I wonder if there''s a Youtube clip of the Scunthorpe home game when the Doc, despite carrying an injury, hauled himself up and threw himself infront of a shot as a last ditch block. That''s the kind of thing people should remember.

Like any other defender he''ll make mistakes but like with any good defender... the good stuff far outweighs the bad and that is without doubt the case with Doherty.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="Gazza"]

[/quote]

Yes, Zak was released by Liverpool at an earlier stage of his career but the fact remains...he wasn''t seen as being good enough. And if they thought he had enough to make it in the Premier League then they''d have stuck by him or he''d have been taken up by another big club and not had to take the drop to Millwall.

You say Lambert rates him highly and that''s good enough for you...

But look who signed Doherty...our last proven/successful manager. And he''s still played more games under Paul Lambert than any other defender so it''s pretty obvious that Lambert think''s a lot of the Doc. Isn''t that good enough for you? Or are you going to have double standards?

If Doc doesn''t do well then I''ll say it. Just like I said at the start of this season when he wasn''t on his game. But I always knew that Doherty is plenty good enough a player to come back from a setback. Which has been the case.

As for the highlight you selected... it was the Burnley game from what....3 and a half years ago??? If you''re still holding that against him then you''re a lost cause.

I wonder if there''s a Youtube clip of the Scunthorpe home game when the Doc, despite carrying an injury, hauled himself up and threw himself infront of a shot as a last ditch block. That''s the kind of thing people should remember.

Like any other defender he''ll make mistakes but like with any good defender... the good stuff far outweighs the bad and that is without doubt the case with Doherty.

[/quote]Brilliant post - really sums up the double standards and perceived reality of people who dislike a player, and then try to convince themselves it''s justified. I think it''s fair to say that Gary Doherty has been the whipping boy for some time (unfairly so, in my opinion), and no matter how well he does, he will never be rated/accepted by some "supporters". There have been players in the past few seasons who have been far less committed, consistently more poor, and contributed much less to the squad as a whole, but have never been as vilified. What does concern me though is that I can see the same thing starting to happen to Chrissy Martin, who has been phenomenal this season. Let''s hope that if Gary does move on, Chris doesn''t become Mk II!