Sign in to follow this  
Bernard  Futter

RONALD TUDOR DAVIES, OUR FINEST EVER NO 9 - FUND UPDATE

I posted on here a while ago about The Give It To Ron fund, an iniatiative to pay for desperately needed hip operations for that prince of former City no 9s - Ron Davies who had fallen on hard times and was living incognito in a trailer park in New Mexico.Some of you may even have contributed - all of you of a Ricardo age-set will for certain remember his near 3 seasons at City with genuine affection.For those of you who don''t go back that far and would like his abilities to be put into perspective, Ron in his first season (1966/7) in the old First Division for just promoted Southampton scored an incredible 37 league goals in 41 appearances!Due to in no small part to his trademark prodigious leaping throughout his career (has there ever been a better header of the ball?) Ron found that his serious lack of mobility meant he couldn''t continue working as a tiler.Thanks to the Fund and Saints US-based fan Tim - and notwithstanding the untimely loss of his long time partner and support Chrissie - Ron is now able to start rebuilding his life.I am grateful to GITR Chairman Duncan Holley for permission to use his e-mail.Hi BernardWe must get round to updating that website - apologies. Much has happenedsince we last spoke.Ron has had 2 successful hip operations which in the end were partlyfinanced by the American health authorities after a Saints fan in LA cutthrough all the red tape.This left us with quite a few thousand pounds. Unfortunately, just before Xmas Ron''s partner Chrissie, passed away and obviously this shook Ron to the core. We decided that we would use the money to pay off some of Ron''smortgage on his rv trailer and buy him a car and that has now happened. He seems to have got over Chrissie''s death and with the help of Tim (the LAfan) is rebuilding his life and even planning a visit to the UK this year, hopefully. Physically he is much improved so the GITR appeal was veryworthwhile. I think that donations have stopped so I have asked JamesWallace to arrange for that to be reflected on the website. If Ron does comeover I will let you know.All the bestRgds Duncan (Holley)

Good question TFAa!Apparently there was a reason they couldn''t help which I''m trying to get to the bottom of.Hope it had nothing to do with the chief executive''s banker sized salary...

Bernard, just a comment on this. I am assuming that Ron has resided in the United States for many years. Providing one has worked in the USA for at least 10 years there are compulsory contributions that we all make from our earnings that entitles us to Medicare at the age of 65. If an operation ( or other medical treatment ) is required Medicare covers 80% of the cost and the residual amount is covered by supplementary insurance, provided one has supplementary insurance. The great majority of Americans are covered by both. In the case of a hip replacement it is my understanding that this can currently cost approximately $35,000. Therefore, Medicare would cover 80% of that amount, or approximately $28,000. I realise Ron has now had his surgery but thought I would share this for general information.

With respect to your thread title, if there ever was a greater number 9 than Ron then he had to be dynamite.  

YC & TFAaPleased to pass on further info supplied by the GITR Fund Treasurer James Wallace.It is reassuring to know that the PFA were prepared to help. The PFA have been very helpful to Ron over the years, but as Chris (Ron''s late wife) told it, they (the PFA) couldn''t help with the hip ops while he was living in the States.  I believe they would have helped and would have helped with Ron''s travel/accommodation expenses back to the UK, but not Chris''s.  In the event, he had one of the best hip op surgeons in the States looking after him.All the best.James