Sign in to follow this  
KidCanary

New striker debate

Ok in the light of the apparent transfer fund, I wanted people to state why they thought we needed a new striker.

Personally, I dont think it will matter who you bring in, my reasons for this are:

a). How many clear cut chances have mckensie/svennson had in the last 5 games, I can count them in one hand

b). How many decent through balls, killer passes etc have you seen played to the front to in the last 5 games

Ladies and gentlemen buying some one, unless it is the likes of henry is going to make no difference, our strikers movement, especially svensssons, off the ball is good, they just dont get the service.

what we need are:

Central midfield with some passing/dribbling ability 

Right winger who can make the same sort of penetrative runs that huckerby does.

The former allows us to play through the middle, where I would argue is our teams strongest part, the latter would give teams something more to think about than huckerby.

I would even like to see cover in central defence, although the top two for me remaind the priority.

I think Helveg could be the man to provide the killer through balls from midfield. I know a lot of people though he had a shocking game in the first half against Everton at right mid, but i actually saw reason to give him a chance in that game. He has an excellent tackle on him and despite not having much luck he kept looking for the ball and kept looking to feed the front men. Having now had more time to settle and having looked more comfortable in the centre v Brum, the scene is set for him to take his chance. Him and Damo when he''s back could be an excellent combination. In the meantime i''d like to see Youssef alongside him.

City            3 - 1        Fulham
Helveg 28                   Cole 54
McKenzie 42
Huckerby 88

people seem very optimistic on this one!! I think it will be tough- they have pressure to win as much as us...and some top players

2-2 is my guess- and i am not doing so bad in the prediction league!!

i think this notion of strikers not getting the chances is two-fold. firstly, i do believe that our strikers don''t take enough of the chances that they create or are given to them. they miss far too many. you just don''t get that many chances in the prem and you have to take them.

secondly, i feel that bentley and mullers are our best passing midfielders. it''s not really part of francis'' or holt''s game but any team doesn''t need more than 1 or at most 2 great passers. liverpool have alonso and gerrard. it''s not like there are 4 passing midfielders on any prem team.

i think the BIGGEST problem for our strikers and frankly, our team as a whole, is movement off the ball. we don''t move well when in possession. we dont create spaces to receive the ball. the strikers don''t do a good job managing the offside trap and in fact they far too often run along the line in very predictable ways.

the genius of arsenal when on form is their movement off the ball.

try watching an arsenal match and don''t watch the man on the ball -- watch everyone else. then watch us. the difference is mindboggling. while we don''t need to be arsenal, i think we lack this aspect a great deal and for a squad like ours, within supreme individual talents, it''s even more important we create space for our team-mates to pass into.

i agree alot kidcanary. even though francis has scored goals this year he has not got 1 assist. and neither has holt. now is isn''t really what we want from the centre mids who have played all season. francis does what he does best-box to box.

we need that player who can give that killer pass. The only player i recon we could get who is good enough would be jason koumas. they are looking to sell him and i think they said a sum in the region of around £1.2m. its not all about the work rate now,-it''s about the quality!

I think the answer is shown in our goal last week, Bentley, in the box, passed to any of Leon, Sev or Hucks.

Yes four players in the opposition penalty area, how often do we do that ? 

That''s why Francis had so many chances, he was the only one up most of the time.

I M V H O