Sign in to follow this  
Minster Canary

What I'm noticing most about Leeds tonight...

...is how direct they play, it''s almost "hoofball", whether they take a different approach with Beckford on Saturday we shall see but it''s a concern seeing as the Doc and Nelson aren''t the best with dealing with long ball situations (especially with someone like Beckford who is bloody quick)...

..That said I still think we''ll score more goals than them on Saturday, and that''s all that matters at the end of the day!

OTBC

[quote user="Mushroom"]

...is how direct they play, it''s almost "hoofball", whether they take a different approach with Beckford on Saturday we shall see but it''s a concern seeing as the Doc and Nelson aren''t the best with dealing with long ball situations (especially with someone like Beckford who is bloody quick)...

..That said I still think we''ll score more goals than them on Saturday, and that''s all that matters at the end of the day!

OTBC

[/quote]

.....................is that Andy Hughes is every bit as poor as I remember, even in a league lower than when he played for us!

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]They are weak in centre midfield and we controlled the previous game there.[/quote]

Korey and Rusty will p*ss all over them at this rate.

What I noticed about Leeds tonight is that the ''keeper was a bit dodgy, the defence isn''t right and neither is the midfield. It''s all a bit disjointed.

Can''t say I thought Becchio was particularly impressive either.

You''d still expect/plan on them giving us a tough game but if they play like that again then the Doc and Nelson and co will knock them away all day long.

Of course they will play hoofball with Beckford. Trying to get him in behind are defence with his pace. Are defence will need to sit fairly deep.

If they play hoofball we will be fine as thats meat and drink to our current CBs. If they play Gradel up front and put some pace on the right wing and play it in behind us on a regular basis then it might be a different matter. i am amazed at how few teams appear to have worked out how succeptable we are to pace thhis season

[quote user="King Korey"]Did they manage a shot on target? I fail to remember one.[/quote]

According to the stats Leeds had one - yes ONE - shot on target.

We did NOT play like this ealier in season when we were winning. We were playing fluent passing football, good interchanges getting behind defenders... now we get the ball at the back and HOOF. This has been going on for a few months now and i dont know why or how it started, but its becoming all too natural to our team now and we have no chance if we carry on.  We''ll be lucky to keep it below 3 next weekend.

Just as long as you don''t bottle it in the playoffs, that''s all.

Mind you a visit to Rochdale or a ''derby'' against Rotherham should add some cheer to those cold winter games next season.

Been quite enjoyable our little visit, like going to the nick to see some miscreant (so I''ve been told).

Don''t give up hope though, even Ronnie Biggs got out eventually. Mind you he didn''t have away as much omoney as your club did.

[quote user="WAFLL"]We did NOT play like this ealier in season when we were winning. We were playing fluent passing football, good interchanges getting behind defenders... now we get the ball at the back and HOOF. This has been going on for a few months now and i dont know why or how it started, but its becoming all too natural to our team now and we have no chance if we carry on.  We''ll be lucky to keep it below 3 next weekend. [/quote]It''s probably not deliberate - we used to see a similar thing under Worthington in the Championship, people complained a lot about it on here.  It tends to be what happens when the opposition close down the options,  The ball ends up back with the defenders, who rather than play laterally along the back four to see if they can open up some options, knock the ball forward half-way up the pitch.  Your midfielders need to be making themselves available for passes from the back more, is my guess.

[quote user="singing canary"]would ba a bonus if  beckford is still injured on saturday.[/quote]

If he is injured of course. Rumour on WACCOE is that he was dropped.

I was going to say the same as blah - hoofball is a symptom of poor confidence. It was exactly the same when the wheels came off so badly for us under worthington. I see a lot of similarities with what''s happening at Leeds to what happened to us after relegation from the prem under worthy. They still have time to rescue the situation if they can manage to get promoted, but it will only end one way if they f*** it up.

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="WAFLL"]We did NOT play like this ealier in season when we were winning. We were playing fluent passing football, good interchanges getting behind defenders... now we get the ball at the back and HOOF. This has been going on for a few months now and i dont know why or how it started, but its becoming all too natural to our team now and we have no chance if we carry on.  We''ll be lucky to keep it below 3 next weekend.
[/quote]

It''s probably not deliberate - we used to see a similar thing under Worthington in the Championship, people complained a lot about it on here.  It tends to be what happens when the opposition close down the options,  The ball ends up back with the defenders, who rather than play laterally along the back four to see if they can open up some options, knock the ball forward half-way up the pitch.  Your midfielders need to be making themselves available for passes from the back more, is my guess.
[/quote]

This is exactly what happened last Saturday against Swindon. Rose was forced to hoof the ball forward aimlessly on numerous occasions in the first half.

[quote]This is exactly what happened last Saturday against Swindon. Rose was

forced to hoof the ball forward aimlessly on numerous occasions in the

first half.[/quote]It''s kind of expected that the opposition will close you down to some extent in the first half, however, if you can keep hold of the ball and make them chase it, they are more likely to tire, and options will open up later on.We might require some form of central midfield reinforcements in the Championship - a lot might rest on the performance of Korey Smith, as Russell has been found wanting in terms of distribution in previous seasons in the Championship, when there is less time available on the ball.  But Lambert has all summer to sort that out, once we''ve got there.