Sign in to follow this  
O.T.B.C

5 man midfield.

Just watching SS1 and they have Curbs and Jones talking about Wolves and West Ham. They were talking about it be tight and not letting in many goals, hence Wolves having a 5 man midfield. Curbs said that Mcleash stuck with this formation for a lot of games at the start of the season and that this was done so they let in few goals and could build on this.

Question is, would you be happy if Lambert stuck just Holt up front on his own playing basic defensive football to gain the results required to build on in the Champ next season? I know we are not there yet, but should surely happen.

I think I have been brought up with the attacking NCFC, although this has been starved for a good 10-15 years, but would accept this if this meant having a decent start in the Champ.

You don''t have to play a 4-5-1 necessarily to be tough to beat. One thing I did like about Roeder was his attitude to away games in his first season in charge. He quickly realised that playing Croft and Huckerby in away games was too risky and we were prone to being sliced apart. So he effectively played a 4-4-2 with one out and out winger. Usually Croft on one wing and Bertrand on the other, who effectively operated as a left midfielder rather than winger. Noticably our results on the road improved. That 2-1 win at Cardiff springs to mind. However when we played two wingers at Leicester we got spanked (think Henry played that day).