Sign in to follow this  
birchfest

Anyone else worried about saturday....

Cant help but feel we might see a very different preformance after tonight from Leeds and hope that we dont treat it as a walk in the park, which it certainly will not be! I hope we win, but Im not feeling as confident as some on here to be able to exclaim that we are going to hammer them. I would settle for a dull 1-0 to Norwich now and shore up the top spot!

I haven''t read anyway on here that people are claiming we are going to hammer them.

Make up an argument taht you can then knock down, rather like the one about everyone supposedly celebrating our promotion.

Yes it can go either way as can most football games, but maybe you should turn it on it''s head.

Imagine you are a Leeds fan. You''ve just seen your team beaten at Southampton aand at home to Millwall, you''ve only picked up 11 points out of the last 30 - form that would have you on 50 points were it to be the whole season (relegation) and you have been recently knocked off the top and look to be dragged into a playoff dogfight.

Your tops scorer could be out and your international defender is out, not only on saturday but for the rest of the season.

Who would be the last team in the league you would want to be facing on saturday ?

I always prefer to be playing a team that has just had a very good result as opposed to a team who has had several negative results and has something to prove Birch mate.

In view of our March fixtures even the worst scenario on Saturday now means that we will be further ahead of the chasing pack than I thought we would be. I always thought if we finished March 3 points ahead of 3rd we would be promoted. I can now enjoy this game a bit more however of course if we win we will be up in the near future.

I am worried about Saturday - that we will win - some of the chasing pack will win - and my 5 year old who loves football will see major crowd problems and our day will be ruint.

[quote user="Smudger"]I always prefer to be playing a team that has just had a very good result as opposed to a team who has had several negative results and has something to prove Birch mate.[/quote]Indeed, I think we have a great chance to beat leeds, but I just hope we arnt at the receiving end of a backlash after tonight..... Go on City quell my concerns! I think if we get an early goal Leeds confidence will shatter, but the longer it stays 0-0 the more chance there is that they could pick up some momentum.

I think you can always worry about games like this.. if Leeds had won last night people would be worried that their confidence would be up knowing they beat a team that beat us etc.

[quote user="AndyCanary"]I think you can always worry about games like this.. if Leeds had won last night people would be worried that their confidence would be up knowing they beat a team that beat us etc.[/quote]

Exactly. In truth on Saturday we will be facing a team who have been in relegation form since January, whose confidence is rock bottom, who have managed to bottle certain promotion for the last two years in exactly the manner they are doing this time, whose fans are on their backs, and who are likely to have their top scorer and a couple of other key players out injured.

We on the other hand are bang in form and have the best home record in the country.

Now, please someone rationally explain why we should be worried? Treat Leeds with respect, and prepare properly for the game and we ought to win end of story.

The first 15 minutes will be key. If we can get early control of midfield and cause trouble up front I can see them struggling. However Grayson and a big away following will have them up for it so if they start well it will be a tough battle. In that case I would be very happy with a draw. However at this stage it is about just keeping ahead of them. We won''t win promotion on sat so there is in many ways not much pressure on our team as we have some more games which look more straightforward which will actually be the ones we need to win. So sit back and enjoy!!

Leeds are on a poor run and they are the ones who need to get something from the game on sat - another defeat and second place looks unlikely,  a draw gives them hope and a win will give them optomism.

Even if we lose we have a big enough lead and enough games to get the 8-10 point we need to secure promotion,  which is performing at the rate that Leeds are,  and with teh games we have coming up I simply can not see that happening  

So am I worried about Sat?  Not a bit of it,  I can take a defeat confident in the knowledge that we will not implode during the rest of the season,  that Lambo will keep us going.   

Of course a win would be perfect and most preferable,  but you wont see me upset if we lose.

If we come out flying, get an early goal I think they''ll capitulate. As people have said, the first 15 minutes are key.

The problem is what Norwich and what Leeds shall we see?

Leeds have been very under par recently, but they did show glimpses against Millwall of what they can do.

If they can get their act together, or if as usual we concede territory in the early part of the game, we could be in for a shock.

But if we can produce our best, not seen too much recently, then I would expect a result for us. At Ellan Road we were unlucky to lose, and for much of the game outplayed them.

We could destroy them if...

Come on PL, get them in the right frame of mind!

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Leeds are on a poor run and they are the ones who need to get something from the game on sat - another defeat and second place looks unlikely,  a draw gives them hope and a win will give them optomism.

Even if we lose we have a big enough lead and enough games to get the 8-10 point we need to secure promotion,  which is performing at the rate that Leeds are,  and with teh games we have coming up I simply can not see that happening  

So am I worried about Sat?  Not a bit of it,  I can take a defeat confident in the knowledge that we will not implode during the rest of the season,  that Lambo will keep us going.   

Of course a win would be perfect and most preferable,  but you wont see me upset if we lose.

[/quote]I think you''ve got it right Zipper. There will undoubtedly be a disappointing result somewhere in the next few games but we have a big enough cushion to ride out any bad patch.This league will be won with 90 points and auto promotion with 87. People who forecast 3 teams getting over 90 points are going to be wildly wrong. There will be some strange results for all teams (even Millwall) as the relegation threatened sides scrap for every point.

The only thing that worries me on Saturday is,Will my new shirt fit me right, and hope the que is not to long at the bar in the Mustard pot.

Stop worrying about Leeds, should we shout GET THAT DICKOFF THE PITCH,    

[quote user="Pboro_Canary"][quote user="AndyCanary"]I think you can always worry about games like this.. if Leeds had won last night people would be worried that their confidence would be up knowing they beat a team that beat us etc.[/quote]

Exactly. In truth on Saturday we will be facing a team who have been in relegation form since January, whose confidence is rock bottom, who have managed to bottle certain promotion for the last two years in exactly the manner they are doing this time, whose fans are on their backs, and who are likely to have their top scorer and a couple of other key players out injured.

We on the other hand are bang in form and have the best home record in the country.

Now, please someone rationally explain why we should be worried? Treat Leeds with respect, and prepare properly for the game and we ought to win end of story.[/quote]So that''s a nailed-on away win then, Pboro Canary....(lol)Leeds are on the ropes reeling and I''ve love to see us give them a right hammering. We probably will win, but, as we well know strange things can happen. Stockport might even nick something at the New Den but that really would turn the form book upside down.From our point of view we have the rare luxury of being in a position where it doesn''t really matter too much whatever the result is on Saturday. Some people might say that were we to lose we''d start to have doubts but when we lost at Millwall a few weeks back didn''t affect subsequent results much at all.How sweet it would be to not only win but by doing so push cocky Leeds ever closer to the hell that is the Play-Offs.....

I think we need to be on our guard.  Leeds have beaten Man U so we know they can raise their game if they feel so inclined. 

We''ve got to where we are by being utterly ruthless against the teams we ought to beat, but our record against the top sides isn''t anything special.

A draw wouldn''t be a disaster however.

[quote user="Sooty57"]I wasn''t...... until they appointed the referee[/quote]

Who is the ref on Saturday?

I would have liked Leeds to have drawn level last night then they would have believed that everything is OK as it is.

[quote user="canary cherub "]

I think we need to be on our guard.  Leeds have beaten Man U so we know they can raise their game if they feel so inclined. 

We''ve got to where we are by being utterly ruthless against the teams we ought to beat, but our record against the top sides isn''t anything special.

[/quote]

Where is your evidence to say we dont play well against the big sides in the division. I think it fair to say that there are about 7 teams who have broken away from everyone else and who are fighting for the playoffs or automatic promotion. Since Lambert took over our record against them has been.

Leeds: Lost 2-1 (But I still don''t get how we got nothing)

Charlton: Draw 2-2

Millwall: Win 2-0, Lost 2-1

Swindon: Win 1-0, Draw 1-1

Colchester: Win 5-0

Huddersfield: Win 3-0, Win 3-1

So against the top 7 that is 17 points out of a possible 27. That is only just under 2 points a game. The accepted formula to achieve promotion. Plus we also hammered Bristol Rovers when they were top 6 at the time and had had a good start.

well said just as i isee it . leeds have lost the plot ,and have been for a while now . beckford was the only player i think could cause us any serious problems .

leeds fittness from what i saw against millwall was fairly dire ,alot of leeds players really do look pretty knackered . us on the other hand have players on the bench who can find the net as soon as entered on to the pitch . im fairly confident leeds will be fairly nervous on saturday ,being fully aware of our recent home form .

3-1 to city

I genuinly want Leeds to come up with us. This view will upset most on this board. But they are a big club , big support (mostly not yobs) and have a history of achievement at the highest level.

We consider ourselves out of place in L1. How must the average Leeds fan feel? They are one of the BIGGEST clubs in the league,

They have done this country proud in Europe. I remember when they were the best team in England by a long way. Don Revie''s side were unbeatable. Apparently they did it by cheating re: Cloughie. It was not just that because they played excellent football

The only time I have been "attacked" at a game was by Leeds yobs at Carrow Road they ran riot because we beat them. This was some time ago. But that shower are no more representative of the club that our little bunch of hooligans are representative of us.

Come on Leeds. Lose Saturday but after that start winning again.

[quote user="Iwan_09"]

[quote user="Sooty57"]I wasn''t...... until they appointed the referee[/quote]

Who is the ref on Saturday?

[/quote]Norwich City v Leeds UnitedL PROBERT(ref)P Keane and R West(assistants)Fourth

Official M Russell

Saturday will primarily be about what we do, not which Leeds team turns up. We are top of the league because we have performed consistently and at times ruthlessly, while those below us have consistently faltered. If we play to our ability we will win, comfortably, I suspect. If we play poorly we could get turned over, just as we could have at Huddersfield and Swindon (but didn''t!). If we lose it''s not the end of the world and we would still be odds on favourites for the title.

I consider some of the posts about Saturday to be insults to our own team. We are rightfully top, odds on with the bookies, yet some of you are doubting the lads. Have faith and stop building windmills to tilt at.[:@]

I think that in all honesty Saturdays result isn''t all that important in the grand scheme of things. the last couple of weeks have changed this match from a title shoot-out into runaway leaders v playoff contenders. 92 points seems to be about the right mark for promotion so as long as we get positve results against Tranmere, stockport, leyton, Gills and Carlise then I think it''s party time, for me the biggest game left could be at the valley.

[quote user="Good Touch For A Big Man"][quote user="canary cherub "]

[/quote]

Where is your evidence to say we dont play well against the big sides in the division. I think it fair to say that there are about 7 teams who have broken away from everyone else and who are fighting for the playoffs or automatic promotion. Since Lambert took over our record against them has been.

Leeds: Lost 2-1 (But I still don''t get how we got nothing)

Charlton: Draw 2-2

Millwall: Win 2-0, Lost 2-1

Swindon: Win 1-0, Draw 1-1

Colchester: Win 5-0

Huddersfield: Win 3-0, Win 3-1

So against the top 7 that is 17 points out of a possible 27. That is only just under 2 points a game. The accepted formula to achieve promotion. Plus we also hammered Bristol Rovers when they were top 6 at the time and had had a good start.

[/quote]

You''re putting words into my mouth, I didn''t say we "didn''t play well" just that our record against the top sides is nothing special

By "top" sides I meant the best sides in the division, regardless of current league position.  I would therefore add:

Southampton:  Draw 1-1, Lost 2-0

and losing at MK Dons cancels out the Bristol Rovers result imo

which makes 18 points out of 36 - OK but not outstanding

I seem to rememeber that our loss of a point at MK Dons was the result of a misgiven penealty against Chris Martin .... I only watched TV but it was conclusive.

Our loss of a point at Leeds was our goalie''s major error .

Otherwise our record againsts  "top" teams is par for the course.