Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

Apologies if has already been discussed on here but Scudamore and his latest plans

anyone else deeply disturbed at the latest "masterplan" from this odious little ****? Softened the announcement with some spin about extra money being spread through the lower leagues but essentially his proposal is to ensure that teams relegated from the prem get 4 years of parachute payments instead of two. No doubt the tinpot members of the prem will ensure this gets voted in thus ensuring that promoted teams can spend more when they go up in the knowledge they will have 4 years guaranteed income and also ensuring that the odds are weighted even more in the favour of sides in the champ who have recently come down. This man embodies all that is wrong in football and in my opinion his proposals are a disgrace. Surprised there has not been more discussion about this on the various forums as could have a major impact on clubs like us.

The Premier League is not part of the Football League. So promotion to the Premier League from the Championship in not a right. It is a "privilege" that could be withdrawn at any time. So we allow some clubs to be financed by another league while others aren''t through fear of the door being closed. Even though it is probably morally wrong.

In the past our club has been partly responsible for the breakaway league and has benefited from it. But that doesn''t make it right. It just means that we did what was right for us at the time. Which is all you can ask I guess.

I blame the FA for where we are now. They should never have put their name to the break away league. They should represent all clubs at all levels. There has always been issues between the Football League and the FA just as you see issues at a much lower level between local leagues and the FA. But by sanctioning a breakaway league the FA took these issues to another level.

We should be concerned about this Jim. But in a lot of cases I believe fans are not aware of it or the changes that have continally gone on since the split happened.

More of the FA''s dirty laundry can be found here :-

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/article7071939.ece

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

anyone else deeply disturbed at the latest "masterplan" from this odious little ****? Softened the announcement with some spin about extra money being spread through the lower leagues but essentially his proposal is to ensure that teams relegated from the prem get 4 years of parachute payments instead of two. No doubt the tinpot members of the prem will ensure this gets voted in thus ensuring that promoted teams can spend more when they go up in the knowledge they will have 4 years guaranteed income and also ensuring that the odds are weighted even more in the favour of sides in the champ who have recently come down. This man embodies all that is wrong in football and in my opinion his proposals are a disgrace. Surprised there has not been more discussion about this on the various forums as could have a major impact on clubs like us.

[/quote]

I agree.

I think there''s an element of "moral hazard" in parachute payments, especially in these troubled financial times.  For a struggling club, parachute payments can make relegation look like a short term solution to a financial crisis, so they lack the incentive to try and stay up.  

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

The Premier League is not part of the Football League. So promotion to the Premier League from the Championship in not a right. It is a "privilege" that could be withdrawn at any time. So we allow some clubs to be financed by another league while others aren''t through fear of the door being closed. Even though it is probably morally wrong.

In the past our club has been partly responsible for the breakaway league and has benefited from it. But that doesn''t make it right. It just means that we did what was right for us at the time. Which is all you can ask I guess.

I blame the FA for where we are now. They should never have put their name to the break away league. They should represent all clubs at all levels. There has always been issues between the Football League and the FA just as you see issues at a much lower level between local leagues and the FA. But by sanctioning a breakaway league the FA took these issues to another level.

We should be concerned about this Jim. But in a lot of cases I believe fans are not aware of it or the changes that have continally gone on since the split happened.

More of the FA''s dirty laundry can be found here :-

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/article7071939.ece

[/quote]

Which is why I have said in the past kick out the premier league from the FA CUP, they are not part of the f a league. Let the lower leagues benefit from a big match revenue from Wembley, apart from that how many non premier league supporter has Sky sports, who favour the Prem and other europian  football clubs, all of which get a nice hand out from them I would like to bet that there are more non prem supportes paying towards thier fat pay cheque  

pete, the premier league was started by the FA, so we cant kick them out of the FAcup! The football league could kick them out of the league cup though as that was started by the football league..But i dont think they will worry about that too much

" For a struggling club, parachute payments can make relegation look like a short term solution to a financial crisis "

eh !

So losing £30m odd in TV money plus loss of sponsorship, gate receipts etc is worth it so the club can gain £7m, or whatever the parachute payments are.