Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

Portsmouth!

Portsmouth have been given permission to sell their players because of administration. How does this affect Norwich City? It affects every club in the land! How would we feel if a club had taken six points off us and then sold half their players allowing a rival team to be promoted at our expense?

And isn''t there a rule saying clubs have to field their strongest side? How can a club do this if they sell their best players?

This decision makes a mockery of the transfer window and the FA''s own rules and regulations and I fear, will have long ranging effects for NCFC and all clubs throughout the football league.

I agree with you to an extent, but if it means Pompey can keep afloat then I have to say I support the decision as their fans don''t deserve any of this. I just hope all football clubs take note of what''s happened at Pompey and don''t make the same mistakes they have made.

I don''t really see who is going to buy any players from then when they can''t play until next season anyway. Surely they will be cheaper come the summer when Pompy will be even more desperate for cash. Any transfers still have to be agreed by FIFA, who aren''t keen on this idea at all, think the FA is agreeing to it after feeling bad for fining the club £1m the other day.

I believe the players sold will have to be loaned back to Pompey for the rest of the year.  Its just the ownership of the players that is being transferred, not the teams they are playing for.  So there is no chance of any other team being affected on the field by this, as the players will still suit up for Pompey until the end of the year.

[quote user="Wembley_Canary"]They will get them cheaper now because Pompey need the cash ASAP, therefore they don''t have much leeway to negotiate.[/quote]

And they will have more room to negotiate at the end of the season? The whole Portsmouth thing is highly upsetting and I really hope they manage to sort themselves out soon and can become a competitive Championship side next year.

[quote user="newyorkcanary"]I believe the players sold will have to be loaned back to Pompey for the rest of the year.  Its just the ownership of the players that is being transferred, not the teams they are playing for.  So there is no chance of any other team being affected on the field by this, as the players will still suit up for Pompey until the end of the year.
[/quote]

I seem to remember David Gold offering to Lend £10mil to Portsmouth not so long ago in order to keep them afloat, my thoughts then was Gold knows they can''t pay him back so come summer he will walk in to Portsmouth and say you owe me this money I will have him him and him and call it quits. or maybe I''m blowing in the wind.

I think that Pompey should also have been kicked out of all competitions. Any club could spend more than they have to gain an unfair advantage and the collect the rewward of, say, winning the FA Cup.

Surely it''s time to stop using the excuse of ''the fans don''t deserve this'' and let them face the reality of the situation they are in.

To be in the Premiership, the most lucrative divison in the world and still be in this much trouble is a joke and takes mis-management to a whole new level. Disgrace.

Everyone rattles on about Portsmouth "living beyond their means" and so on, but when they had a rich owner they were living well within their means. It is just hard for a club to complete a quick reduction of turnover that quickly.

The mistakes made at Portsmouth have been made at just about every club in the top two leagues in England, including are own (need I point out the £28m debt), just Portsmouth were unlucky enough to lose their owner who sold to chancer.

As with everything football related, if the club is winning then everything is fine. Portsmouth''s debt isn''t even that large when placed alongside other Premier League clubs, just there is no sugar daddy to bail them out.

[quote user="lappinitup"]

Portsmouth have been given permission to sell their players because of administration. How does this affect Norwich City? It affects every club in the land! How would we feel if a club had taken six points off us and then sold half their players allowing a rival team to be promoted at our expense?

And isn''t there a rule saying clubs have to field their strongest side? How can a club do this if they sell their best players?

This decision makes a mockery of the transfer window and the FA''s own rules and regulations and I fear, will have long ranging effects for NCFC and all clubs throughout the football league.

[/quote]

I am assuming that any players they sell will be allowed to play for their new clubs so that may well have an effect on promotions and relegations wherever they end up.Absolutely ridiculous situation Lappin and as an aside who wrote such a long post for you.There is enough words there to last about 50 of your usual contributions!!

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="lappinitup"]

[/quote]

I am assuming that any players they sell will be allowed to play for their new clubs so that may well have an effect on promotions and relegations wherever they end up.Absolutely ridiculous situation Lappin and as an aside who wrote such a long post for you.There is enough words there to last about 50 of your usual contributions!!

[/quote]

There was talk of the buying clubs "loaning them back"

How would that work?

I''m owned by Wolves playing for Portsmouth against the club that owns me and I will be playing for next season!!

Err how hard are they going to be trying.

If not bits of a team could play each week.

Just get rid of. Saying you feel sorry for the fans, who enjoyed the ride until recently then?

Didn''t here them squealing with a cup win etc.

I''m surprised they are still allowed to compete in the FA Cup with no sanctions. The advantage gained through living beyond their means is the same in the Cup as it is in the League. If you ask me the penalties for going into administration are nowhere near harsh enough. And I base that view on the fact that as yet they haven''t really been a deterrent.

[quote user="The Butler"]There was talk of the buying clubs "loaning them back"

How would that work?

I''m owned by Wolves playing for Portsmouth against the club that owns me and I will be playing for next season!!

Just get rid of. Saying you feel sorry for the fans, who enjoyed the ride until recently then?

Didn''t here them squealing with a cup win etc.[/quote]Right on Butler, the whole thing is farcical. What''s the point of a transfer window if certain teams can trade outside it even with certain limitations? Once the precedent is set it will filter through all the leagues. The result will be that some teams will enjoy the advantage of playing a weakened side and this could affect promotion and relegation issues. 

[quote user="TIL 1010"]who wrote such a long post for you.There is enough words there to last about 50 of your usual contributions!![/quote]I''m very flattered to think that someone of your impotence reads all my posts Tilly. Thanks for that.[;)]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="TIL 1010"]who wrote such a long post for you.There is enough words there to last about 50 of your usual contributions!![/quote]I''m very flattered to think that someone of your impotence reads all my posts Tilly. Thanks for that.[;)][/quote]

OI! Me ''n'' Butler read it too[*-)]

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="TIL 1010"]who wrote such a long post for you.There is enough words there to last about 50 of your usual contributions!![/quote]I''m very flattered to think that someone of your impotence reads all my posts Tilly. Thanks for that.[;)][/quote]OI! Me ''n'' Butler read it too[*-)][/quote]Did you think I said "importance" Nutty? [:^)][;)][:D]

cue Crystal palace requesting the same.. the precednt has now started and all teams in administration must get the same treatment now.

So if they have to loan the player''s back to Portsmouth, what''s the difference between this and agreeing a fee with a club to sign their playing in the summer/January?

As harsh as it sounds I really hope Portsmouth go bust as I think it might just be the catalyst for change in the way our football clubs are run. I can''t see how the current model can be in any way sustainable but it really needs an established PL club to go bust to prove this. In a lot of ways this reminds me of the way the banks were bailed out. They were ''too big to fail'' which is what I believe the PL feels Portsmouth are. Clubs like Chester City and Kings Lynn are of course too small to worry about.

[quote user="The Butler"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="lappinitup"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

There was talk of the buying clubs "loaning them back"

How would that work?

Didn''t here them squealing with a cup win etc.

[/quote]Im assuming there is a law that states a player cant play against the club he has signed for (Eg Chris Smalling at Fulham having already signed for Man United)One of my best mates is a Pompey fan and he cant believe how his club have reacted. Acknowledging they have stuffed up the finances, we both cant believe Avram Grant has the nerve to complain about the points deduction, and hes embarassed that they seem to be receiving this special treatment with transfers. Furthermore their points deduction took place this season, despite the fact they are probably going down anyway (See Southampton for a contract)I agree with NN - The punishment for administration is far too lenient, its essentially cheating, but the only punishment they will receive is a 9-point penalty, on a points total that would likely to be poor enough to go down anyway. Therefore zero punishment. Infact given they can sell players now then the positives outweigh the negatives. I just hope for the sake of Portsmouth they can get out of this mess and still have a team to support, but I wouldnt be surprised to see Porsmouth back in the Premiership within two seasons.

[quote user="Shack Attack"]As harsh as it sounds I really hope Portsmouth go bust as I think it might just be the catalyst for change in the way our football clubs are run. I can''t see how the current model can be in any way sustainable but it really needs an established PL club to go bust to prove this. In a lot of ways this reminds me of the way the banks were bailed out. They were ''too big to fail'' which is what I believe the PL feels Portsmouth are. Clubs like Chester City and Kings Lynn are of course too small to worry about.[/quote]

Couldn''t agree more. Pompey deserve to go under, having quite cynically defrauded creditors and if I have to listen to their talking frog of a manager bleating on again about how the 9 point penalty is somehow unfair I''m going to attack the tv. Football continues to live in a state of denial and will do so until a Premier League club goes.

[quote user="The Walking Man walking to Yeovil"]So if they have to loan the player''s back to Portsmouth, what''s the difference between this and agreeing a fee with a club to sign their playing in the summer/January?[/quote]I assume the difference is that the fee will be paid to Portsmouth now, as opposed to when the window opens.Similarly I believe that teams can form agreements to purchase players any time of the year, its just the paperwork and money cant go through until the window is open.

Portsmouth should start next season on -10 points. How can it be fair that they get away with it and every other club that goes into admin gets this penalty the following season.