Sign in to follow this  
Rustyboy

Roll back the years

I sit in the Snakepit and have supported Norwich for over 32 years now so you can work out my age. I wondered how many more of you ‘Roll back the years’ when you are at Carrow Road. I still feel like a teenager there swearing, shouting and singing and although the results over the past years haven’t been what we wanted I wouldn’t swap the experience for anything as it does you good to get a few things off your chest now and then.

I just wish we could sing some of the old songs from previous years.

There are around six of us who have kept together since our school days, are there many more of you out there who get the same buzz?

Rustyboy Aged 17 ¾

Been supporting a bit longer than you. Started with my Dad in the River End, I can still smell the roll-ups, hot dogs etc now, and hear the old boys on the bridge selling the rosettes. Migrated to the Barclay when I was 14 or 15 - then I joined the forces and had a period of the occassional away game - now living in Bucks, get to lots of away games with my son, but at 50+ i still love the singing/banter etc. Home games i do get to, I am sat in the Jarrold, and look in envy at the Barclay, though it cannot be the same as when we used to stand.....yes, I still get the buzz, and I think I always will.

[quote user="Rustyboy"]

I sit in the Snakepit and have supported Norwich for over 32 years now so you can work out my age. I wondered how many more of you ‘Roll back the years’ when you are at Carrow Road. I still feel like a teenager there swearing, shouting and singing and although the results over the past years haven’t been what we wanted I wouldn’t swap the experience for anything as it does you good to get a few things off your chest now and then.

I just wish we could sing some of the old songs from previous years.

There are around six of us who have kept together since our school days, are there many more of you out there who get the same buzz?

Rustyboy Aged 17 ¾

[/quote]

34????

Yes I still ge the same buzz - been going since 71/2 season and now take 2 of my children along with me. Sit on edge of snake pit in line with edge of 18yrd box. Loving this season and still lose my voice at games

Saw my first match in August 1970 against Sheffield United so will celebrate 40 years as a NCFC fan soon. Still love it as much as ever - wives and girlfriends may come and go but I''m City till I die!

I saw my first match in 1963 and was immediately captivated by the goal-scoring skills of Ron Davies. We used to stand behind the River End goal and I remember that you had to get to the ground by 2.00 p.m. at the latest to get a position. I also have vivid memories of Tommy Bryceland. After a couple of years, we moved our position to the South Stand (halfway line) but on the arrival of Laurie Sheffield (in 1966 I think) moved again to the Barclay Stand. I may be wrong, but I think it dates from about this time that the Barclay Stand became the main area of home support.

My lifelong commitment to the Club is primarily down to brainwashing from my father at an early age, a tradition I am pleased to have continued with my own son. Long may it continue.

[quote user="Webbo118"]Forgot to say, we still sit in the Barclay. Guess we always will! Wouldn''t want to be anywhere else.[/quote]

Seconded - my seat is roughly in the same position in relation to the goal as the spot I first stood in in 1964!

The barclay feb 1982 aged 14 at home to chelsea...won 2-0 ..........hooked after that....so thats umm? oh yeah 28 years...u get less for murder *L ..........and i hope atleast another 30 years as well.

Rustyboy, yes there are many like you in the Snakepit. I still go out before and after the games with some of the same crowd as the late 60''s early 70''s. We still have one too many before the game, stand up as much as possible and love the banter as much as the old Barclay days, and centre line of the old South Stand. Favourite players will always include Kenny Foggo, Tommy Bryceland, Hugh Curran, Martin Peters, Trevor Hockey (for keeping us in the First Division in ''73) and the Super Mac/Boyer partnership.

If you''re in the bar at half time we''re the crowd down between the televisions and the other bar. We hate the way football has been sanitised and would like to go back to standing to get the real atmosphere back but realise it won''t happen. Has been good at some away games getting back onto terracing or at least just standing for 90 mins.