Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

Can we all stop being so cocky about tomorrow's game

Some on here seem to think we are nailed on to hand Leeds a spanking. If thats the way people are thinking then those people could be very disapppointed come 5 pm saturday.

We are capable of winning this game. We can beat any team in this league and have shown ourselves to be the most consistently good team in it. We also have key players who appear to be back in good form.

However we should not lose sight of the fact that most times we have played decent teams since Christmas we have not beaten them. Saints and Millwall both beat us. We were hugely unconvincing for long periods at Huddersfield. We still have Michael Nelson and (probably) Michael Roase in our defence and give the opposition too many chances. Leeds have not become a terrible team overnight. There is every chance we could draw or (dare I say it) lose this game so lets not make ourselvs look too stupid by strutting around as if we''ve won it before a ball has even been kicked.

Leeds have now become big underdogs in many people''s eyes but to be honest that might suit them. I can''t see them being anything else but massively up for it. We have to make sure we (players and fans) are as well or we may come unstuck.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

Some on here seem to think we are nailed on to hand Leeds a spanking. If thats the way people are thinking then those people could be very disapppointed come 5 pm saturday.

We are capable of winning this game. We can beat any team in this league and have shown ourselves to be the most consistently good team in it. We also have key players who appear to be back in good form.

However we should not lose sight of the fact that most times we have played decent teams since Christmas we have not beaten them. Saints and Millwall both beat us. We were hugely unconvincing for long periods at Huddersfield. We still have Michael Nelson and (probably) Michael Roase in our defence and give the opposition too many chances. Leeds have not become a terrible team overnight. There is every chance we could draw or (dare I say it) lose this game so lets not make ourselvs look too stupid by strutting around as if we''ve won it before a ball has even been kicked.

Leeds have now become big underdogs in many people''s eyes but to be honest that might suit them. I can''t see them being anything else but massively up for it. We have to make sure we (players and fans) are as well or we may come unstuck.

[/quote]

OK.... [8-)]

No, but they have been getting that way the last dozen or so games.

I think Norwich fans have good reason to be confident about this one, beats being negative and afraid of losing just because it''s "Massive" Leeds. They have been awful in recent weeks and if they do go onto get a shock result this weekend then so be it, it happens all the time in football.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

[/quote]

I agree that we shouldn''t be over confident, nothing is guaranteed, and Leeds could beat us there''s no doubt about that.

However, I don''t agree with you questioning our ability to beat the top teams, we''re beaten Colchester away 5-0 and are the only team to beat Huddersfield away, we should have beaten Swindon and we were on poor form when we played Millwall and Southampton, I don''t think anyone would argue those two sides are better than us.

Whilst Leeds might be slight underdogs, this won''t have the usual affect of lifting the pressure from their shoulders. Make no mistake, the pressure is on Leeds tomorrow and not us. If we lose, we''re 5 points ahead of them and Millwall are more than likely 8 points behind us. If Leeds don''t win, Millwall will be 1 point behind at best, we will be 9 points ahead of them and 8 ahead of Leeds. The pressure is clearly on Leeds tomorrow regardless of whether they want to try and put it on us.

[quote user="SimonOTBC"][quote user="Jim Smith"]

[/quote]

I agree that we shouldn''t be over confident, nothing is guaranteed, and Leeds could beat us there''s no doubt about that.

However, I don''t agree with you questioning our ability to beat the top teams, we''re beaten Colchester away 5-0 and are the only team to beat Huddersfield away, we should have beaten Swindon and we were on poor form when we played Millwall and Southampton, I don''t think anyone would argue those two sides are better than us.

Whilst Leeds might be slight underdogs, this won''t have the usual affect of lifting the pressure from their shoulders. Make no mistake, the pressure is on Leeds tomorrow and not us. If we lose, we''re 5 points ahead of them and Millwall are more than likely 8 points behind us. If Leeds don''t win, Millwall will be 1 point behind at best, we will be 9 points ahead of them and 8 ahead of Leeds. The pressure is clearly on Leeds tomorrow regardless of whether they want to try and put it on us.

[/quote]

Personally I think Fraser gets us out of jail a couple of times a game in most games. Were it not for him we would not have won several games that we have done because our defence has been ropey. Yes the Hudds game was a great result but we were pretty awful for half of that game.

I''m not trying to be negative though. We can beat them and I hope we do. Going forward we are a great team. I just think the way some are talking on here is a bit presumptious.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

[/quote]

We''re just fans, we''re supposed to get carried away and complacent, don''t worry about the players, under Lambert they will get the job done.

[quote user="Darren Lamb"][quote user="Jim Smith"]

[/quote]

We''re just fans, we''re supposed to get carried away and complacent, don''t worry about the players, under Lambert they will get the job done.

[/quote]Spot on [Y]

Not sure where this supposed cockiness is coming from.

I''ve read endless bleats about

I''ve read witless guff about our cockiness tempting fate, how it is going to affect how well we play, how Leeds players will be fired up by posts on a local paper''s forum

Perhaps we we have the countdown for the ''cuckoo clock'' chant we could all wring our caps in stead and mumble

" ever so humble City "

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

Personally I think Fraser gets us out of jail a couple of times a game in most games. Were it not for him we would not have won several games that we have done because our defence has been ropey. [/quote]

Silly argument. A goalkeeper is part of the team and we have one of the best, we also have a decent defence, midfield and strike force that''s why we are top.

I have a suspicion we might see Juke-box back tomorrow, Arthur... I understand Rose had a good game against Swindon, but I think Drury has the edge both defensively and in terms of attacking... we''re going to need to be solid tomorrow, because Leeds will have their backs up... I still expect us to come out on top, but if we''re 1-0 up with a few minutes to go, we''re going to need people like Drury to keep a lid on things, and that''s something he does superbly...

I''d pick Drury tomorrow, too, EM, but Lambert has an admirable policy of keeping faith with people (who''d have thought that Nelson would still be keeping Askou out) and it does seem as though Rose is getting better because of it. I think he''ll stick with him, partly because to drop him after his best performance would send a message that we''re really worried about Leeds.

I''m really looking forward to tomorrow. I can see us winning 4-0 and I can see us losing 3-1, and any other result in between.

I don''t think people have been that cocky - certainly lots of people have been the opposite. But in the end, what matters is the players'' attitude, and that has been spot-on all season, which is why we''re top of the league. I think they''ll rise to the occasion. Come on you Yellows!

If anyway wants to be cocky they should remember pre season and how we landed with a bump on day one.

We should just celebrate one result at a time :o)

Check out the ''posturing Pink''un journos post which is floating near this one somewhere. There''s similar stuff on there about how we can be as vocal and strident as we like but the players had better be right on it tomorrow... Leeds certainly will be!

I am quite blase about the game - which I think we may well lose.  I dont see a big victory but woudl love to get a  win,  but if we lose I dont think it will seriously affect our chances of getting automatic promotion.

I do think the team is confident enough to shake off a defeat and get back to winning ways,  while the squad has enough depth to shake things around if needed - something leeds have struggled to do without bringing in loanees.

Tomorrow will be tight but fun,  and fingers crossed we do not lose.