Sign in to follow this  
Old Shuck

Pink 'Un Journos: Cut Out All The Posturing!

Dig dig dig, a poke here, a snidy comment there...

"The heat is on for Leeds" -nice big fast headline there, fuel for Leeds United I think! Yes, it was attributed to Jon Newsome, but thats the angle you were looking for! I think its on us as well isn''t it, it will be if we lose, especially with a trip to Charlton to come-will that be the time to wheel out Danny Mills or Matt Svensson and say "the heat is on for Charlton"?

"Sell out clash is not the biggest of the season" -another snide comment, "...oh you think you''re such a big club, but we got more for Hartlepool..."-thats how it comes across! Deliberate, I''m sure!!

"Leeds feeling the strain"-Norwich hacks, feeling superior!

"How times have changed since Forster''s error"-yes, sure they need reminding of that. And sure they can make up the points on us as well.

This cocky, self assured outlook at the moment is all very well, but a win on Saturday seems, to some, to be odds on and just depends on how many we win by, according to some people! If ever a game is going to give us a kick up the backside its this one, many a word might need to be eaten on Monday morning. I am sure the staff and players take each game as it comes, no one game different to the others, but this one, the hype, the expectation, the little digs at Leeds...pride comes before a fall and that is what I can see coming at the weekend, a damned great fall and dose of reality.

Spot on. Much better to keep quiet and hope the players get the job done for us methinks. Words before a big football match, or any sporting contest, count for nothing!

I definitely say that the Leeds United team talk writes itself on

Saturday. If they can''t get motivated for this one then somethings

rotten in the Northern Parish! Beat City and Leeds apply crucial

pressure at a crucial time whilst getting a monkey (Northern or

otherwise) off their back. This title race aint over yet - indeed I''m

not even outing myself as certain about promotion!If they''re not psyched up and on their game then they don''t deserve the top spot. Same thing applies to us - and if any of the posturing on the Pinkun or the local press is a reflection of the dressing room attitude - then I have to say that I agree with you Shuck, we''ll be eating humble pie come Sunday. Job''s not done yet!

People expect a bit of local jingoism when things are going well though, and before a crunch match don''t they ?  Isn''t the point to a big game that it''s supposed to be, well, big ?

Its an interesting one - to bait, or not to bait...Leeds should be more than fired up for this one given the pressure they''re under, but this could manifest itself in a number of ways for them.  They could play the perfect tactical game and win, they could go all-out attack and either overwhelm us or fall foul of our counter-attack, or they could crumble under the pressure and make silly mistakes... or all of the above!  Its hard to tell what effect any media poking will have on the Leeds team - its either extra incentive, or extra pressure.  Only time will tell, but given how the Leeds players and fans are currently coping, I would bet they''re more likely to crumble than rise.Plus, local media concentrating on Leeds'' failings keeps the spotlight off our players for the week whilst Archant''s Leeds counterparts will also likely be talking about their own team in the build-up.

I agree it could go either way Evil Monkey, they certainly looked like they''d rather be scraping food fat off the sewer system than standing on the pitch the other night against Millwall. Pressure ate them up then for sure! I''m just not a chicken counter - never have been. Footy''s far to fickle a mistress to feel comfortable just yet. So I''m of the opinion we should keep our powder dry.

Blimey, what a load of paranoid drivel old shuck spouts.

Why not ACTUALLY read what is wrote and accept it as that ?

I have read what was written.

And you should look up the definition of the word paranoid*, because that is not what I am, nor what I have written!

Tub thumping is all very well, but, all too often, it backfires. If we don''t win on Saturday now, its all going to look very silly and it might be said that the pressure will swing back towards us.

*"Paranoid thinking typically includes persecutory beliefs concerning a perceived threat towards oneself. In the original Greek, παράνοια (paranoia) simply means madness (para = outside; nous = mind). Historically, this characterization was used to describe any delusional state."

"Dig dig dig, a poke here, a snidy comment there...

"The heat is on for Leeds" -nice big fast headline there, fuel for Leeds United I think! Yes, it was attributed to Jon Newsome, but thats the angle you were looking for! I think its on us as well isn''t it, it will be if we lose, especially with a trip to Charlton to come-will that be the time to wheel out Danny Mills or Matt Svensson and say "the heat is on for Charlton"?

"Sell out clash is not the biggest of the season" -another snide comment, "...oh you think you''re such a big club, but we got more for Hartlepool..."-thats how it comes across! Deliberate, I''m sure!!

"Leeds feeling the strain"-Norwich hacks, feeling superior!

"How times have changed since Forster''s error"-yes, sure they need reminding of that. And sure they can make up the points on us as well.

This cocky, self assured outlook at the moment is all very well, but a win on Saturday seems, to some, to be odds on and just depends on how many we win by, according to some people! If ever a game is going to give us a kick up the backside its this one, many a word might need to be eaten on Monday morning. I am sure the staff and players take each game as it comes, no one game different to the others, but this one, the hype, the expectation, the little digs at Leeds...pride comes before a fall and that is what I can see coming at the weekend, a damned great fall and dose of reality."

So the Pinkun should not write up what somebody writes ? Other than Hughes perhaps you could point to another (ex) player who has connections to both clubs ?

The article about the attendance clearly states the reason, as in - "The shortfall is due to the "safety configuration" of seating"

You further rant about the Pinkun hyping things up by confusing their reporting with supposed postings on their forum.

I''m not quite sure, nor do I think you do, what you mean by your remarks on Forsters'' slip up at the last meeting between Leeds and us. What I do know is that we HAVE come quite a way from then. In playing staff, playing abilities and position in the league.

If you seriously thing that anything posted on here is going to influence the player''s performance then I suggest you re read your definition of paranoid. More so if you feel that there is some kind of superstitious fate that is being tested here.

Now why not calm down, Allow those who follow the club to approach the game as they see fit. Accept that part of following a club is all the pre match banter that goes with it.

For the record I would add that the pressure is on Leeds. We are in a position that were we to lose, promotion would still be a fair bet. For Leeds to lose it could mean them as good as in the playoffs.

Now old shuck, take another look at your namesake. Something put out to worry the gullible and superstitious along the North Norfolk coast.

Surely people there don''t still concern themselves with such fanciful scares ?

Fair play City1st-maybe, in trying to play down the hype, its got to me!

I know the banter and building up of these sort of games is all part and parcel of it, I think, maybe, as its Leeds, thats why its bothering me more than most!

I''ll try to calm down now...OTBC!

Well said mate

If you are going, enjoy it. We''ve come an awful long way since that shell shocked day in August. Never would I have believed we would be near the top. Never when we were stunned by that late goal at Elland Road did I imagine we would be ABOVE Leeds by a fair number of points.

Hanging on the coat tails of the the playoffs and hoping lady luck would see us in there come May and then, well like the days of yore ''we''d give it a go''

But here we are on top by right, Showing the attitude that has been missing for so long. The ability to get back up and fight. the determination to win. How many times has Lambert put on the extra striker, how many times has we pulled off a win when we shouldn''t.

So let the papers, the fans and the pundits say what they want this week - the manager and the players will do the talking from there on in.

And if we lose, then that''s merely a delay in what is rightfully ours. We''ve come too far to fail now.

Like I say shuck just enjoy, because this is as good as it gets - not in position but in anticipation, fun and sheer bloody enjoyment of the game and the club we love

Roll on 3pm !

Thats the thing isn''t it! We love the club-bloody bastard football and Norwich City, they get in your blood and thats it, joy and despair come in (not so) equal measures!

Lets hope you''re giving me a bit of banter after the game when we win!

Mope

I think you were over reacting to stuff in the press.

As to the score who knows. It is often down to luck and dodgy decisions as it is who plays best.

But I do know that whatever happens it won''t be because the team hasn''t given it 100% - or that anything said outside of the dressing room has made the slightest difference.

If we do win I may be to p****d to engage in banter, so full of beer I''ll be more bunter than banter

enjoy the game mate