Sign in to follow this  
SnakepitCanary

If you were Lambo, looking ahead to next season...

What positions would you look at strengthening, and where would you realistically expect to finish?

With Forster possibly going, we have to look at the goalkeeping situation. I think it''s possible we could get him back on loan, considering my Newcastle pal thinks that it could happen, or he could be sold, because of Harpers apparent great from and Tim Krul also being a fantastic prospect in their eyes.

I would also look at the full back departments. I haven''t been that impressed by Rose, even though he had a good game Saturday. If I was Lambo I wouldn''t bring him in permanently. I would still bring a left back as a back up to Drury, who will do well next season providing he steers clear of injury. Also I don''t think Russell Martin is good enough to play in the Championship. Yes he is good enough in this League but I still have my doubts.

I''m rather happy with the centre back position, as I think Nelson, Doherty, Askou and Whitbread are all good enough for Championship opposition.

Likewise with the whole midfield. We all know Hoolahan can make the jump up, and Russell has had a brilliant season in the holding midfield role. I would maybe have a look at the right wing away and bring someone in as competiton for Korey Smith. McNamee and Lappin will do fine in the Championship.

Strikers, I would probably bring in another one. Martin has gone abit downhill recently and we need a more complete striker so that Holt doesn''t have to do all the donkey work. Martin will be a good sub/back up player for us, but we can''t have just a finisher, waiting for the chance to happen. We have to look at the someone that can creeate chances more often. I''m not sure if Elliot will be signed permanently but he could do a job. Also Paul Hayes has been linked so we know Lambo is looking for another striker.

The dead wood we should sell - Cureton, Tudor-Jones, McVeigh, Wiggins and Gill. Send youngsters like Adeyemi, Daley, Stephens and Dawkins all out on loan for the rest of the season.

If I was Lambo, I would be expecting a low mid table-mid table finish (16-12). I think we could do better then that and get into the top of the table but I wouldn''t want to put too much pressure on the players. It will be a long process but we can get back into the Prem (if we go up next season, these words will come back to haunt me!).

I think you''ve pretty comprehensively answered your own thread there. However, my concern is not so much with the players it is what system are we going to use. The diamond''s been brilliant this year but against better players/managers we may come unstuck.

First priority (if we go up) is simply to stay there and consolidate. Anything better is a bonus.

I know that I have answered myself their, but I wanted other peoples views.

I think we would stay with the diamond. I think we need to make the midfield abit wider though to cope with the opposition wingers. Hoolahan has done a great job in the "hole", and more recently with his defensive work. It''s like having another defender but further up the field, which is great when you think that Holt does the same kind of job.

1) I would do my damndest to re loan Forster

2) I would look for one real quality CB to add to the fray

3) I would buy a quality right back and left back...weak spots at Champ level IMO

4) I would buy a nippy little chap to sit alongside super GH

After that there are lots of things you could tinker with but these are crucial to me!

Obviously the goalkeeping situation is a concern if Forster goes; apart from that I''d also look to strengthen competition at right and left back and look to bring in a bit of pacey quality on the right wing so that we can shift effectively from the diamond accomodating Hoolahan to the standard 442 with decent width. I''m gonna get shot down for this but I think that our striking options are looking good even if (when [:)]) we make the step up to the Championship

[quote user="macdougalls perm"]Obviously the goalkeeping situation is a concern if Forster goes; apart from that I''d also look to strengthen competition at right and left back and look to bring in a bit of pacey quality on the right wing so that we can shift effectively from the diamond accomodating Hoolahan to the standard 442 with decent width. I''m gonna get shot down for this but I think that our striking options are looking good even if (when [:)]) we make the step up to the Championship[/quote]

Sorry, comment on the striking options were assuming we keep hold of Elliott or bring in someone of that ilk. 

A new Keeper is vital, either bringing back Fraser or bringing in someone else. Scott Loach perhaps if Watford go down??

Full Backs... one in each area would be ideal, not entirely sure who would be available though.

Midfield IMO is will be fine.

Assuming Lambert is going let Cureton leave once his contract is up a 5th striker would be required also, possibly Nile Ranger from Newcastle on loan?

If I was Lambert and thinking about next season the first thing I would do is try and sign Robbie Keane, beyond that Celtic really need some defensive reinforcements, conceding 4 to St Mirren its embarrassing. Only Joking.

[quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"]If I was Lambert and thinking about next season the first thing I would do is try and sign Robbie Keane, beyond that Celtic really need some defensive reinforcements, conceding 4 to St Mirren its embarrassing. Only Joking. [/quote]

Probably the most realistic post in this thread & it''s certainly no joke.

[quote user="Making Plans"]

[quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"]If I was Lambert and thinking about next season the first thing I would do is try and sign Robbie Keane, beyond that Celtic really need some defensive reinforcements, conceding 4 to St Mirren its embarrassing. Only Joking. [/quote]

[/quote]

[|-)]

[quote user="Making Plans"]

[/quote]yeh right,celtic want a manager who has never managed above div 1 standard,sounds alot like our appointment of peter grant.What a success that was....lol

[quote user="lobster catcher"][quote user="Making Plans"]

[/quote]yeh right,celtic want a manager who has never managed above div 1 standard,sounds alot like our appointment of peter grant.What a success that was....lol[/quote]You are naive in the extreme if you think that City are that far off Celtics level, in the SPL we would comfortably finish in 3rd place. Somebody said that Celtic sold their 2 best players to Middlesborough, that would suggest they are as good as Celtic.

Don''t agree about the goalkeeping situation - expect Rudd to get 3 or 4 games before the end of this season once we are definitely up. Also think Francombe and Wiggins will make the step up as cover fro Martin and Drury. Elsewhere in the team we are very short of pace, which in the Champ. will cost us dear, particularly in defence. We will need a decent centre back - I would have said Martin Taylor but he has been poor at Watford, so I would tend to go for a younger version. Up front I agree that we need some pace on the right - Lambert likes Daley so he might start with him if he keeps progressing through the summer.

I am the opposite . I think this squad and management team is perfectly capable of holding it''s own in the fizzy. Maybe we are too pessimistic because of last seasons horror story. Does anybody believe that this team ( and I include the manager) in the Championship would have been relegated last season? I don''t. If you doubt me, then look at some of the current sides in the Championship. They make Ips. look good and they are a disaster under the thug. 

Of course, it is always necessary to add and strengthen, but with no additions IMHO, we will be OK next year too. We have a good manager and a more than  a decent squad of players. How that collection of bad managers managed to get us relegated defies belief. It was like the Chinese water torture: drip by drip, week by week. We are soon to be back where we belong and once again can aspire to maybe another brief sodjourn into the Promised Land. Delia permitting.   

What positions would you look at strengthening, and where would you realistically expect to finish?

well preferably add something to all positions, and really you need to be challenging for the title with Celtic [;)] 

[quote user="EssexWhite"]

well preferably add something to all positions, and really you need to be challenging for the title with Celtic [;)] 

[/quote]

Essex my friend. I did not understand a word of that. What has Celtic got to do with NCFC?

I think of our squad being in the Championship and I immediately think that we''re going to have to strengthen to compete up there... but then I start thinking of the individual components of the first team, in particular, and I can only really think of a few areas that need strengthening... My main areas of concern would be the midfield, given Rusty and Lappin''s previous showings in that league and Smith being a bit of an unknown quantity.  We''d need another CB to replace League 1 Nelson and to challenge Doc, Askou and Whitbread, and maybe another RB judging by reports (I''ve not seen much of R. Martin)...But other than that I can only see a squad of players who should have more than enough to survive relegation and should compete for mid-table at the very least.Or maybe I''m just being too optimistic...

I''m not sure if too many will be added, neither do I think they are needed.

I''m ceratin that the players who have have joined us since Lambert was made manager have been brought in for the long term.The important factor is having a manager/coach who can get the best out of them.

We have a big advantage over others whereby it''s most likely that we will have a few games at the end of this season to experiment with those who are not regulars.

An old adage is that players do not reach this level without a fair degree of ability. Clough took a bunch of average palyers and turned them into European champions.

I don''t remember any of the squad who were at the top of the Premiership being stars. They played well and together. Compere it with the efforts of Damian Francis, Bentley and others who for many reasons wre not up for it.

I genuinely believe that we have the potential to be in or around the playoffs next season.

I think that most of our squad is ok for the championship. I agree with the midfield, and I feel that we will probably need to sign another right-winger. I think that our attack force is ok for the championship, but with defence I think that we to sign another RB and LB as cover for Drury and R. Martin (I don''t think that Rose is good enough for the championship though). I think that the main CB partnership next season will be Doc and Askou, and I''ve heard that Whitbread is injured again, making me wonder if he''s the new Neil Emblem. I reckon that we will need to sign another CB if this is true. GK - possibly Rudd, hopefully we can sign Forster on loan again though

Forster hopefully back on season long loan.Needs to decide if either Rose or Wiggins has a future here.  If Rose does then get him signed up and if Wiggins doesn''t then get him off the wage bill.  I think Spillane can do it as first choice right back but we may need to get another right back in throughout the season if we have injuries and Russel Martin is found wanting.Decide whether Doherty is to be offered a new contract and sign at least one new centre half (maybe two - dependant on how many are kept - lets not forget that a lot of people have doubts over Nelson''s ability at a higher level).Get Russell signed up on a contract.  Sign a left footed centre/left sided midfielder who can play on either left point of the diamond or centre mid (he must be able to tackle well and also create a few at the higher level).  Sign an out and out right winger also - Adamoh maybe?Uprfont - decided whether you would like to add somebody with out and out pace to what we have or a target man as back up for Holt.  Would be interesting to see if we can go with what we have got here with the option of adding to it over the course of the season (as not one of our strikers has proved that they can produce enough in the Championship as yet).So I guess we are looking at no more than about 3 or 4 new players max prior to the new season kicking off, with the option of bringing more in either on loan or permanent deals later in the season.

[quote user="Smudger"]Forster hopefully back on season long loan.

I think Spillane can do it as first choice right back but we may need to get another right back in throughout the season if we have injuries and Russel Martin is found wanting.

[/quote]

Out of interest, do you think Spillane will be seen as first choice right back?

PPeople seem to think that R Martin won''t be good enough for the Champ because of what Peterborough fans have said but I haven''t seen him have a poor game for us yet and he is a hundred times more solid than what Semi was. TBH Martin would be one of the first names in my 11 with Spillane in reserve to wait for his chance.

We need to strengthen through the spine.

Where are we weakest?  Well without seeing Whitbread yet I would say central defence;  Doc is OK at champs,  Askou better than Nelson and neither good enough as a first choice champs defender.  If Whitbread can stay fit he may be the solution. 

Clearly we need a keeper and Toons promotion may do us a favour here.  However I am fairly comfortable with Spillane and Drury as full backs.

Ball winning/strength is my second biggest problem area.Whether we revert to 442 or stick with the diamond Lappin and Rusty have not proved to be a success in the champs.  I know confidence is a big thing but for me a powerful driving ball winner is a must tomake sure we stand our ground and dont get pushed back too easily.  Smith, like Martin, will flourish in the champs having had a full season behind him this year.

A right sided midfielder is needed to give us an option between formations. 

Up front we have Holt and Martin but I do think we will be missing something there. I think Martin will adapt better than Holt but it does leave us short of a pacy option.  Cody is not yet good enough and OJ is a better option.  Elliott just seems too short for me and some aerial power as an option for holt is needed.

So for me the top priorities are

A keeper

A powerhouse midfielder

A aerially strong striker

A centre back

GK We need Forster (if we can get him) and another as back up. Rudd and Steer not ready yet for Champs.

LB We need a new LB - Rose and Wiggins are not up to it and Drury is getting on. Keep Drury and add another

RB Spillane and Martin will do

CB Doc, Askou and one more significant addition. Nelson not really up to scratch but squad player at best

MF Keep Wes, Rusty, Hughes, McNamee, Lappin (as squad backup), everyone else surplus. Two more additions - one a significant ball winner, and the other a wide player

CF Quick goalscorer needed to play with Holt.

So...

1 or 2 GKs - £500k and free

1 LB - £500k

1 CB - £750k

2 MD - £750k and £500k

1 CF - £1m

£4m total - yikes!

I''ve forgotten about Spillane! I think he is definitely a better right back from his performances earlier this season, he thoroughly impressed me. I would keep him as our right back in the Championship.

There were a lot of people saying "if he''s good enough he''s old enough" at the start of the season, but now going with Rudd doesn''t seem to be a realistic option for most people. We have two potentially excellent keepers in Rudd and Steer - let''s give at least one of them the chance to prove themselves. There were lots of protests when we let Joe Lewis go, and pretty soon our young third choice keeper was playing in the division above us. Let''s not lose another home grown prospect. I''m in no way knocking Forster - he would be in the running for player of the season if he wasn''t a loanee, but since money is clearly going to be limited, perhaps it would be better invested elsewhere.

Most things on this thread I agree with but I feel we may need to delve in with 2 or 3 (touch wood Foster being one) season long loans and hopefully being in the Championship with 25k watching each week will entice a couple of young prem stars to Carrow road