Sign in to follow this  
Morisons Prozac

Stephen Hughes

The likes of Hughes would walk into ANY side in this division. Same goes for Martin and McNamee.

This is why I cannot wait for next season. Most squads in this league would need a gargantuan overhaul to compete in the Championship. With us, I think it''s a case of replacing fringe players (ala McVeigh, Gill, etc) with higher quality - no disrespect meant to our current incumbents. No drastic changes needed, just adding more depth in quality.

Even thought admittedly Hughes has had his poor games which they all do (despite some unrealistic fans thinking that players shouldn''t ever make mistakes!) I''ve always said the bloke is Championship quality and he can''t even get in our team!

Canary James - you echo what I''ve said for for most of the season. We only need to replace some fringe players with Championship quality and then we''ll have a squad capable of making a serious go of getting a top 6 Chmapionship position next season, providing we get there of course!

Next seasons Championship will be very average in my opinion.

Presuming Portsmouth and (2 of) West Ham, Burnley, Hull go down...I actually think all of those will struggle. At least, none will walk the league.

Anyone promoted from this league with us I''d naturally back to finish above.

And there''s very, very few standout teams already in the Champ. Get rid of Newcastle, WBA and another (Forest?) and I reckon it''s got the makings of one of the tightest leagues in years...

The 2nd Division in all its different guises is normally a very tight League. This seasons Championship if you take out the top 5 and Plymouth and Peterborough is very tight.

I''m not being overly optimistic, but having seen the turnaround this season inspired by our great club for the 1st since Worthy in 2004 having a decent manager, I think we can do well in the Championship. Indeed I think we''d of more than held our own in it this season!

You haven''t seen the best of Hughes yet. 2 seasons ago with Motherwell he was outstanding, last season a bit injury prone. If he can get into the Norwich team & get a run of games I''m sure he''d do well.

Yes, next season could, if we are promoted, see the very best of Hughes.

Some players take time to settle into a side, a team, a way of playing. He strikes me as being one of those players.

People comment on the difference, playing wise and in the game as a whole, between the Prem and the CCC. Same can be said of the CCC and L1. Next season, if promoted (am not counting any chickens!) will see more games with players given a little more time, it won''t be quite so frenetic, we won''t be one of the major players, and teams won''t raise their game against us so much. i think Hughes will revel in that, given a place in the side.

I personally think Hughes is better on the wing where he can make use of his crossing/passing than he is playing the holding role that Russell has made his own.

And as for replacing fringe players, I''d be inclined to keep Gill. I was very impressed the game he replaced Rusty - and I think we''ve not really given him a chance.

Not sure Hughes has the pace to play on the wing permanently - after all yesterday he took advantage of their left back being caught of position.

Would love to see Hughes get a real run of games together next season because I think he is top quality.