Sign in to follow this  
wrathsajoke

thats why hoolahan can go

Inclined to agree with you but I think it might be more that the diamond won''t work in the Championship as Hoolahan did have some good games last season in a 4-4-2.However against the best sides at CR this season, Soton, Leeds, he has been ineffective at the point of the diamond.

[quote user="wrathsajoke"]goes missing when needed-to much of a lightweight luxury to carry into the championship[/quote]So did Holt, and Martin has gone missing against even lower opposition!Get rid of all 3?

I have said all season that IMO hoolahan wont cut it in the championship. To one footed , to lightweight and cannot perform in a 442

Guys you''re being pretty harsh. OK us and southampton played him very well, but remember that we changed our formation yesterday (we NEVER play the diamond) to cope with him.

He was man-marked throughout...and next season, he probably won''t be.

He''s a great player, he just had an off-day in what is a very long season

Don''t talk such utter garbage.

He has played an important part in our season. Some of the players are now looking tired, and rightly so given the effort that they have given.

I''m really not sure what some people want. Get off the players backs and enjoy the rest of this season.

[quote user="Sideshow Tim - at the top of League 1"]Don''t talk such utter garbage.

He has played an important part in our season. Some of the players are now looking tired, and rightly so given the effort that they have given.

I''m really not sure what some people want. Get off the players backs and enjoy the rest of this season.[/quote]Absolutely! also is it no surprise that Hoolahan was marked out of the game? I''ve read several Leeds fans comment on how proud they were of Doyle for marking him out of the game. He can be our most dangerous player and he was just well marked yesterday. He made no where near as many mistakes as Holt.

Let''s just criticise Hooly now after all it''s easy to be critical all the time. Much easier than constructive evaluation.

The player''s a star. Many, many clubs would want him, including them down the road.

Garvan or Hoolahan anybody?  I know my choice.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

Let''s just criticise Hooly now after all it''s easy to be critical all the time. Much easier than constructive evaluation.

The player''s a star. Many, many clubs would want him, including them down the road.

Garvan or Hoolahan anybody?  I know my choice.

[/quote]

Ipswich had Hoolahan on trial a few years back and let him go! I was told this by an ITFC scout who came to watch my (left-footed 12 year old) play - he said (about my son); "he''s very one-footed and needs to develop use of his right more..."

I replied ''well it doesn''t seem to have harmed the progress of Wes Hoolahan - or Alan Brazil & James Scowcroft?'' - that when he mentioned Ipswich had taken a look at Wes. Oh - the reason they let him go? ''he didn''t play with his head up''...

Talk about throwing the baby out with the bathwater!

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Inclined to agree with you but I think it might be more that the diamond won''t work in the Championship as Hoolahan did have some good games last season in a 4-4-2.However against the best sides at CR this season, Soton, Leeds, he has been ineffective at the point of the diamond.[/quote]Could this be that they learnt from playing us at home that he was the biggest threat? and so then marked him out of the game. Last time i checked the matchday programme the player with the most assists was...yep Hoolahan. Not only assists but 3rd top scorer (and with the top 2 on 28 and now 21 is very impressive)Too many arguments going thro my head. Ridiculous thread.

If he was well marked yesterday, that is fair enough. This Leeds team were a fairly robust lot and Hooly never had a lot of space but he did give the ball away quite a bit but that is not that unusual as he does hold onto it far too long in tight spaces IMO...perhaps an off day and well marked but will be good value and highly entertaining for the rest of the season.

[quote user="First Wizard"]Ah, I get it, Martin scored so its Hoolie''s week for a bashing..................who gets it next week then?[/quote]You''re just miffed that someone beat you to it. So who are you going to aim next weeks bashing at then?

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]He might have no right foot... but there are plenty of players with no left foot and they don''t get criticised for that do they?
[/quote]

Yeh, that Ryan Giggs bloke is all left foot and look at what a poor a player he is!

So what if Hoolahan was marked out of the game. This shows that Leeds regarded him as our most dangerous player, and thus paid special attention to him. Other players should then have rose to the occasion to exploit the extra space created. Hoolahan IMO will continue to be a talisman for us in the Championship next season, and to sell him would be disastrous.  

So because it was a pure midfield physical battle all game, and Wes didn''t really have the ball, you want rid of him? Just stop typing.

[quote user="wrathsajoke"]goes missing when needed-to much of a lightweight luxury to carry into the championship[/quote]

April 1st is four days away.

For goodness sake, we are top of the league, leading by 11 points, nearly at the end of the season and what do we get, week by week a player is picked on to be this week''s turkey/donkey.

We don''t know yet how tough the Championship will be, we are not there. By good management (Lambert) and steady progress from the whole squad we will get there and hopefully put them to the test. Are the squad we have now good enough? I would say, yes, with a few quality additions we are.

What has Wes done to atttact this negativity, he was marked out of the game, aside from making a few well worked contributions. Why was he man marked (again)? Because opposition managers regard him as one of our best players and therefore a threat to them.

To sell him would be a disaster, he''s one of our great hopes for a serious rebuilding of the whole club. I doubt Paul Lambert would want to sell either him or many of the players featured yesterday and thank God he''s manager and not some of the posters on here.

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]For goodness sake, we are top of the league, leading by 11 points, nearly at the end of the season and what do we get, week by week a player is picked on to be this week''s turkey/donkey. We don''t know yet how tough the Championship will be, we are not there. By good management (Lambert) and steady progress from the whole squad we will get there and hopefully put them to the test. Are the squad we have now good enough? I would say, yes, with a few quality additions we are. What has Wes done to atttact this negativity, he was marked out of the game, aside from making a few well worked contributions. Why was he man marked (again)? Because opposition managers regard him as one of our best players and therefore a threat to them. To sell him would be a disaster, he''s one of our great hopes for a serious rebuilding of the whole club. I doubt Paul Lambert would want to sell either him or many of the players featured yesterday and thank God he''s manager and not some of the posters on here.[/quote]

Spot on Gazza.

When your opponents man mark him - or in some cases put 2 men on him - that shows what a danger some teams see him as. It also creates space for other players to exploit.

I''ve been a critic of Hoolahan in the past and you have to take him like this -

Hes a potential matchwinner but hes also a luxury. Hes painfully one footed, over elaborates and his work rate can be better but I think he has improved the last one!

Leeds knew what he is about and closed us down accordingly. It wern''t only Hoolahan that was below par against Leeds. As an attacking force we were non existant, the passing was very poor and generally looked like we were playing for a draw. Apart from our very good backline and scoring the goal that won the game Leeds were the better team although the result is more important than the performance!

Hoolahan will be near enough the same in the Championship - On his day a match winner, on another day fruatrating and not effective!

I''d rather have him than not !

It does amuse me all the people making out the Championship is so wonderful and we will have step up so more more than we''ve been this season and that half the team will need to be changed !

From watching years of Championship football and seeing most Norwich games this season, I think we''d of been capable of a top half finish in the Championship with this seasons team. I also think that up to 6-7 teams below us in this Division would be able to compete in the next League up with minor adjustments to their squads. The Champinship is without doubt much stronger than the majority of League 1 but a minority of the good teams in the 3rd tier including us would do OK!

People forget that we got relegated because of 5 years of poor decisions, particularly the choice of managers and relying to much on the loan system rather than because we were hopelessly outclassed like Peterborough have been this season. Look at some of the players we used in the Championship after relegation from the Premiership. Theres a large number that certainly wouldn''t get in our current team including last seasons player of the season Croft who has been found out at struggling Derby! 

Also when you are in the championship you''ll be able to attract better players anyhow. All we need to do is get rid of a few of the fringe players and replace them with players capable of doing well in the Championship!