Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Leeds

Snowy the cat was never in any doubt about the result today but Ricardo had several sleepless nights this week thinking about all the things that can go wrong. When you''ve been a long time supporter like me, you are always waiting for things to go tits up but this team just gets stronger when the chips are down. If you like a game full of running and endeavour then this afternoon would have been one for you but quality today was as rare as finding a Cartier watch in a QD store. It was like watching two heavyweight boxers punch each other to a standstill over 15 rounds without landing a telling blow until that one sublime moment at the death.Lambert in his wisdom dropped Rose and Chris Martin and brought in Elloitt and Adam Drury. We started in good form and with a full house roaring us on we forced a couple of corners and put Leeds on the back foot. Leeds eventually settled and started to push the ball around well in midfield without ever creating anything of danger. In fact their total attacking intent amounted to a couple of 20 yarders over the bar and Forster was never really called into action. Nelson and Doc were solid and gave as good as they got in the physical department. Nelson''s  flattening of Becchio with a kick in the head gives you a flavour of the intensity of the contest. City were playing it a bit too long in my opinion and were obviously hoping Eliott''s speed would embarass the ageing Leeds central pair but it only succeeded in making Elliott look like a schoolboy running about without getting a kick. Holt had the only decent chance of the half but sidefooted over the top from the edge of the box.The same pattern continued in the second half and Hoolahan finally managed to get in a telling pass only for Elliot to sky a half chance. It was therefore no surprise to me when Chris Martin came on up front. It immediately gave Holt a bit of help in his physical battle with the Leeds central pair but chances at either end were still as rare as hens teeth.Beckford was putting himself about but Doc had him in his pocket all afternoon to such an effect that he was reduced to throwing himself on the floor hoping for a free kick. As we moved into the final minutes I was well happy with a point but then came the one moment of quality. The ball was swept out to Hughes (who had come on for Hooly) and he made good ground down the right before sending over a lovely cross for the inrushing Chris Martin to angle a header into the net. Cue pandemonium from all parts of the ground. It was over and we knew it was. All that remained was for some big black Leeds guy to lose his rag and see a red card and the final whistle was lost in the noise.Doc MOM by miles but I won''t argue much about Drury getting the official nod because he was immense as well. The entire team deserve credit today because I thought Leeds never gave it up for a second and we had to fight all the way for the points. Eleven points clear with eight to play, even the Norwich City of old couldn''t mess this one up, could they?

[quote user="Mister Chops"]It''s nearly time....[img]http://wozik.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/peroni55dh2.png[/img][/quote]Had one at lunchtime in case I was needed to nip out and miss the goal. I went out four times but no goal came. In the end I was reduced to putting on and taking off my lucky hat and gloves three times.Eventually it worked so will but supping a celebration pint anytime soon.

Wasn''t at the game because of the lack of tickets but watched it online and can''t argue with anything you said.

To some it may appear we lost the ball far too easily but credit to Leeds they stopped us playing and it was a real chess board of a game with neither side creating anything but we just had the bit of class at the end.

Thanks Ricardo. I was able to watch the game today. To augment your comments I would simply say if Mr. Beckford has aspirations of playing at a higher level ( particularly if he thinks he is Premiership calibre....he isn''t ) then he needs to repeatedly study a video of today''s game then take new instruction as to how he will more effectively compete against cental midfielders like Doherty, who was immense today. 

Truly another great post Ricardo, these reports certainly don''t go unappreciated. [Y]Having watched on the computer while listening to Radio Norfolk, i really felt Lappins inability to provide a decent delivery, or produce a decent shot really let down the overall quality of our play today. Wasted many corners, and whenever he found himself in a decent position he was almost certain to screw up the oppertunity. I''m not usually one of his critics, but having seen him play today he seemed to play a key role in preventing any relative efficiency or class in the course of our forward play.Otherwise i feel the shift the team put in today was good, but it was just far too frantic for far too many players to have any obvious quality evident within the game.

Watched it on the net too, thought Drury was very solid defensively but his delivery when going forward was average at best, can''t really understand the MotM award, Doc was a colossus today, definitely his performance of the season so far. It was a very tense affair and it always looked like a single goal would decide it. Thought that Leeds stopped us playing our passing game for much of the match and frequently came through the midfield too easily however the whole back four stood up to be counted and were not found wanting, absolutley fantastic performance all round from them. We were sloppy at times on the ball and alot of our crossing was very poor particularly in the first 10-15 of the second half, however the quality shone through at the end, particulalrly after the introduction of Macca and Super Chris and we looked more of a match for them in the last half an hour.

All credit to Lambert for making changes early which enhanced the way we played, it''s obvious to me that our manager and the squad''s strength in depth won it for us today, to be able to bring on players of such quality who can change the game is what will win us the title.

Some good changes by Lambert stole the game out of nothing. I would argue we should have had a penalty late on, I''m sick and tired of the wrestling in the box.Some credit should also be given to Leeds who ran their socks off early doors to stifle us, but you could feel as the subs came on, and the legs got tired our superior fitness and play was starting to tell.

@ Big Bad John; Agree largely re: Lappin although thought he improved second half, most of his corners were pretty well delivered (there was one awful one though), we are definitely going to need to find a replacement for next season simply cannot see him making it as a Championship player unfortunately. Do think it''s a little unfair to single him out as in general our final ball was pretty rubbish today up until McNamee and Hughes came on. Lambert is a genius though and knew exactly when to bring on the subs, Chrissy in particular looked like a player re-born ,even after such a short rest, benching him was 100% the right thing to do, he looked so much sharper and hungrier than he has in recent matches and showed it with a great header for the goal, extremely well taken!

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]Quite right. I typed it quickly and should have said "cental defender."[/quote]Whatever are you drinking Yankee?[+o(]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]Quite right. I typed it quickly and should have said "cental defender."[/quote]Whatever are you drinking Yankee?[+o(][/quote]

This isn''t going down to well Lapp.

File:Yorkshire Warrior Beer Bottle 03.gif

Hi Lappin it up, Just a quick thank''s for your assistance with YC''s  info

I''m much abliged.

Beelsie

Try not to choke when you read this, coming from me of all people, but the central defense was fantastic today. Doherty was a rock(erty) as he looked confidently solid and in full control, and Lord Nelson ruled the waves playing like a bull back there.

Or that''s what it looked like on line, but you can''t really tell anything unless you''re at the game so I must be wrong, right all you Doherty fans? :)

I thought leeds came with an excellent game plan that stifled our creativity and allowed them to dictate the game.   The midfield was theirs and the played with a passion and intensity that regularly crossed the line of legal but they were physically stronger than us and also far better with the ball. However chances created by either side were limited to a couple each.   SNodgrass was excellent for them (if lucky to stay on the pitch) but failed to create while Hoolahan was overrun yet still created the games best chance putting elliott n.

However that was the only place on the pitch they mastered us.   In the strikers we bettered them just - both sides had 3 good chances - only Super Chris got one of them on target. The leeds strikers wasted as good a chance as those offered Elliott and Holt who blazed high and ugly.   OUr hold up play was poor and in truth we rarely troubled their back 4.  As far as subs were concerned I would have brought on OJ instead of McNamee because he holds the ball up but the thre who came on all did their bit.

However I can only echo everyone elses comments today;  our back 4 were immense.   Nelson and Martin any other week may have been mentioned as possible MOTM candidates they were that solid,  but Drury and Doc gave performances that showed why they are the leagues best defenders.  Beckford showed his pace but never got a yard on Doc and just as he did with Barnard and Lambert before him this season came out a very impressive winner.   But Drury just edged it for me,  he matched Docs positioning and mastery but also

The downsides of today?  Well it showed what we may face in the championship - and that the diamond midfield and its personnel are unlikely to succeed at a higher level,  and that we do still probably need another striker as Holt and Elliott we not great today.

But

CHAMPIONES CHAMPIONES OLE OLE OLE!!!

I agree with much of Zipper''s assesment.

Good points:

1. Doherty amazing- managed beckford very well despite lack of pace. Not sure beckford was actually 100% fit, but he was marked out of the game.

2. Drury. really solid, tied with Doc for MOTM for me. Also had to cover for lappin ahead of him who lost the ball a lot

3. Mcnamee- very positive when came on and looked lively instantly casuing them trouble. The only one of our players who looked to run at them.

4. Elliott- I thought he did very well, always harrying their defence when they had the ball and trying to make space. never tired of trying to create an outlet when it was obvious the midfield were sinking

5. the goal- another truly magic carrow Road moment.

The not so good-

1. Hoolahan- not in the game, shoudl have gone off earlier. Trick too many tricks andflicks in tights spots which just resulted in them getting the ball back quickly

2. lappin- crossing not good, left Drury exposed at times with some dodgy passing.

3. Smith- I like him generally but he was not looking for the space today when we attacked, was tucked in way too central and got closed down swuftly when had the ball

4. Too many nothing balls nodded into midfield and just short of Holt/Elliott. Time and time again our clearances went to leeds players which gave them the initiative.

5. lack of awareness of teh easy ball. We didn''t need to force it so much- there was often a safer option but we didn''t see it and loast possession. someone needed to steady things and remind the palyers that not every move has to result in a chance or an incisive one touch routine!

Great result though, much to work on and look forward to next season!!

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

I thought leeds came with an excellent game plan that stifled our creativity and allowed them to dictate the game.   The midfield was theirs and the played with a passion and intensity that regularly crossed the line of legal but they were physically stronger than us and also far better with the ball. However chances created by either side were limited to a couple each.   SNodgrass was excellent for them (if lucky to stay on the pitch) but failed to create while Hoolahan was overrun yet still created the games best chance putting elliott n.

However that was the only place on the pitch they mastered us.   In the strikers we bettered them just - both sides had 3 good chances - only Super Chris got one of them on target. The leeds strikers wasted as good a chance as those offered Elliott and Holt who blazed high and ugly.   OUr hold up play was poor and in truth we rarely troubled their back 4.  As far as subs were concerned I would have brought on OJ instead of McNamee because he holds the ball up but the thre who came on all did their bit.

However I can only echo everyone elses comments today;  our back 4 were immense.   Nelson and Martin any other week may have been mentioned as possible MOTM candidates they were that solid,  but Drury and Doc gave performances that showed why they are the leagues best defenders.  Beckford showed his pace but never got a yard on Doc and just as he did with Barnard and Lambert before him this season came out a very impressive winner.   But Drury just edged it for me,  he matched Docs positioning and mastery but also

The downsides of today?  Well it showed what we may face in the championship - and that the diamond midfield and its personnel are unlikely to succeed at a higher level,  and that we do still probably need another striker as Holt and Elliott we not great today.

But

CHAMPIONES CHAMPIONES OLE OLE OLE!!!

[/quote]I''d be inclined to agree with all but your assessment of the diamond in your analysis, concerning taking it to a higher level. For Swansea, their diamond fomation was nowhere near as outstanding nor as capable as ours at League One level, but was implicated to almost as good a standard in the Championship as it was in the third tier. This is whilst the diamond sets up a formation for the opposition to accommodate if they so wish, and if they do choose to do so, we are lucky in that we are given the oppertunity to revert to a similarly effective Plan B and Plan C.And if one doubts the ability of Hoolahan at a higher level, for Blackpool, he was just as good, if not debatably better for them in the Championship than in League One, and was regularly featured in the Team of the Week in his time up there. And if one doubts Holt, please acquaint yourselves with the careers of Chris Iwelumo and most notably Jason Scotland. And as for Martin, we already know what he can do in the Championship when at his best.Leeds set up to counter our diamond on Sunday, and just like in the Championship, it will be the exceptions that accommodate our diamond, and not the majority. And if they do, we have options that wouldn''t otherwise be open to us.

Just to add a few comments (based on the slideshow masquerading as streaming video):1) Leeds were closing our players down extremely well, which resulted in a lot of hoofball2) They knew exactly what Wes would do every time he got the ball - try to find the trickiest route around his marker. He ran into trouble every time. He really should try to vary his game a bit more - that through ball to Elliot was sublime.3)Lappin ......... what is he for??? He really did look the weakest player on the pitch. The only thing in his favour is his positional play, but I''m not sure that justifies selection week in week out. The one player I think definitely won''t cut it in the Championship.And a belated thank you to Ricardo for his excellent match reports. One of the main (often the only!) reasons for reading this MB.

"I''d be inclined to agree with all but your assessment of the diamond in your analysis, concerning taking it to a higher level. For Swansea, their diamond fomation was nowhere near as outstanding nor as capable as ours at League One level, but was implicated to almost as good a standard in the Championship as it was in the third tier. This is whilst the diamond sets up a formation for the opposition to accommodate if they so wish, and if they do choose to do so, we are lucky in that we are given the oppertunity to revert to a similarly effective Plan B and Plan C.

And if one doubts the ability of Hoolahan at a higher level, for Blackpool, he was just as good, if not debatably better for them in the Championship than in League One, and was regularly featured in the Team of the Week in his time up there. And if one doubts Holt, please acquaint yourselves with the careers of Chris Iwelumo and most notably Jason Scotland. And as for Martin, we already know what he can do in the Championship when at his best.

Leeds set up to counter our diamond on Sunday, and just like in the Championship, it will be the exceptions that accommodate our diamond, and not the majority. And if they do, we have options that wouldn''t otherwise be open to us."

Good post imo.  One thing to remember is that if a team regularly play with a diamond they will bring in players who fit that system, train that system, get very familiar with it etc.  If other teams adopt a diamond to counter that, it is an unfamiliar system to them and they may not have the ideal personnel for the job which gives us an obvious edge.

Good point about target-men often developing late- Steve Howard`s another one.