Sign in to follow this  
Hoolahoop

Squad/Team for the Championship

How close are we to having a decent championship squad?

Lets stop beating around the bush, it is now not ''if'' we will be promoted but simply ''when''.  That''s not being arrogant, we are were we deserve to be and thats a long way clear.  the bookies very rarely get it wrong and some bookies have stopped taking bets on us getting promoted.

8 games left (24 points) Leeds/Millwall are 11 behind and assuming they both have ''promotion form'' in the run in they will get, say 20 points.  That means IMO 3 wins will get us promoted and possibly even the title!

BUT who is not up to play in the Championship and a decent level? 

Really all them? Forster can do the business at a higher level and I am supremely confident he will be with us on loan next season. Drury is still one of the best left backs in the championship let alone this league for me. Russell Martin, I don''t know. He''s never really had a chance at that level. Doherty was never that bad at championship level it was just every time he made a mistake he got hammered. He has won Player of the Season remember in the championship. Nelson I think would really struggle as good as he has been this season. That was the thinking behind the signing of Whitbread I guess.

Need to confirm the Forster situation if we can as he has been huge for us. If Newcastle want to keep him, will Rudd be ready?

Still not convinced by Rose and Drury is not likely to last a whole season.

Would like another option at CB as well.

From there, think a good CM is going to be important if we aim to play the diamond in the league above.

I think a lot of the team are unproven at champ level, but think they all deserve a chance next season to remedy this.

Drury is a good championship player but it stops at that, theres no real quality in the other 3. Forster is unknown because we dont know if we''re going to have him? Need a martin taylor or someone similar.

Depends what sort of Championship side we are looking at. If it is a mid-table side then we need no changes judging by some of the dross propping up that division, but if we want a promotion chasing side then we will need some strengthening.

Im not too worried about the back 4, we just need to find a better back up for Dury than Rose.Im concerned as to if Holt and Martin will be able to cut it at a higher level....

its the strikers that worry me tbh. Martin and holt have both played at that level before with limited success.

Cody has only played a few games up there and didn''t look anywhere near championship standard.

we need 1 proven championship striker incase the gamble doesnt pay off.

exactly our aim next season is to stay up... for the last two season we were woeful... now we have hungry players who are on a crest of a wave, I am sure the start of the season will be good, but away at turfmoor on a cold tuesday we may, and this shows how far our two clubs have moved on, will be a very tough game

I expect consolidation next year, we will need a change in personnel but I am in no rush considering our money is still not top drawer... and remembeer how many clubs in the championship have more money than us

alot of smaller teams will be wary of this sleeping giant of the championship.. .bigger clubs I don''t think will worry too much can''t see a team like Bristol City or even Coventry for that matter worried about NCFC... but that is the beauty of going in as a sleeping giant, consolidate and ship a few players out and rebuild... there are still alot of players here that are stripping us of cash and they will be leaving soon or at least realising how much we can afford... curo being the major one

This is all rather pointless right now, no? We have 8 games remaining, the priority should be on securing as many points as possible and enjoying the rest of the season. We''ve not had too much to shout about since our last promotion, why not enjoy the present?For what it''s worth, I don''t think the squad needs major additions. We have good talent and depth in most areas and would be confident that the current crop could achieve a respectable position.

Forster - Yes
R Martin - Maybe
Drury - Yes (but will need cover)
Doc - Legs may let him down
Nelson - No
Lappin - Yes (but will be one under pressure)
Korey - Yes
Russell - Yes
Wes - Yes (If he moves the ball on quicker - if not he will struggle)
Holt - Yes - will do a job if we get balls in the box
Martin - Yes - will only get better
McNamee - Maybe - Looks full of confidence
Elliott - Not seen enough to judge
Hughes - Yes
Rose - No
Askou - Yes
Cody - Maybe
Oli - Yes
Daley - No

Back four a worry but we do have experience in that department. I think the key to Holt and Martin proving themselves at a higher level will be the quality of their supply.  With two wide players putting quality balls in they will both score plenty. I have no doubt that Holt is good enough a player to survive the step up but he does seem to get too involved with the physical side of things which affects his concentration at times. Still F****** love him though! 

Agree with most of horse manure''s assesments except Lappin and McDonald neither of whom are good enough in my view. I like Mcnamee- he offers somethinga  bit different and could do well in the Champ.

We need some strengthening dwon the spine of the team as priorities

1. Another CB as Doc struggled last year and good Champ sides will cause him to struggle again.

2. Central midfield, another ball winnner needed in there. Too much to expect Rusty and Smith to do it all season

3. Striker. Holt may do well, Elliott looks useful and Martin still improving but we don''t have anyone proven at Champ level which is a worry/ McDonald looks too lightweight and Johnson hard to judge yet.

4. We must keep hold of Forster- could really be the key man for us and gives the defence massive confidence

[quote user="Horse Manure"]

Forster - Yes
R Martin - Maybe
Drury - Yes (but will need cover)
Doc - Legs may let him down
Nelson - No
Lappin - Yes (but will be one under pressure)
Korey - Yes
Russell - Yes
Wes - Yes (If he moves the ball on quicker - if not he will struggle)
Holt - Yes - will do a job if we get balls in the box
Martin - Yes - will only get better
McNamee - Maybe - Looks full of confidence
Elliott - Not seen enough to judge
Hughes - Yes
Rose - No
Askou - Yes
Cody - Maybe
Oli - Yes
Daley - No

Back four a worry but we do have experience in that department. I think the key to Holt and Martin proving themselves at a higher level will be the quality of their supply.  With two wide players putting quality balls in they will both score plenty. I have no doubt that Holt is good enough a player to survive the step up but he does seem to get too involved with the physical side of things which affects his concentration at times. Still F****** love him though! 

[/quote]

Agree with most from the list.

I think we HAVE to get someone in to act as cover / be competition for Holts role, just so we do not worry to much if he is suspended or injured and will also keep him hungry knowing there is competitionfor his place. Someone like Adebola or similar would be perfect as an accomplished player in the championship with good experience

[quote user="Tumbleweed"]

Agree with most of horse manure''s assesments except Lappin and McDonald neither of whom are good enough in my view. I like Mcnamee- he offers somethinga  bit different and could do well in the Champ.

We need some strengthening dwon the spine of the team as priorities

1. Another CB as Doc struggled last year and good Champ sides will cause him to struggle again.

2. Central midfield, another ball winnner needed in there. Too much to expect Rusty and Smith to do it all season

3. Striker. Holt may do well, Elliott looks useful and Martin still improving but we don''t have anyone proven at Champ level which is a worry/ McDonald looks too lightweight and Johnson hard to judge yet.

4. We must keep hold of Forster- could really be the key man for us and gives the defence massive confidence

[/quote]

I personally do not agree with this, I think the doc has proved yesterday that he can deal with Championship quality in Beckford. He did ok last season but never really had a steady partner at the back and the midfield in front of him did not offer to much protection. I think the Doc will surprise a few next season. I think it willbe him and Whitbread together